Real estate sector to propose alternative to foreigners buying land in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Aha, a crypto millionaire.....

Nope mostly Fortune 500 stocks.. If crypto is your thing then you wont be around long.   You have been here too long. You sound like the typical Thai now.. How much money do you have.  haha

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gknrd said:

You can start a family at any age. But, most people are not retired at 50?  And even at 50 IMHO it is to old..

You sure have a lot of honest or is it humble opinions? Care to share some studies and links to prove your posting. BTW I did retire at 50, full pension, and just obtained an LTRWP Visa, so I must be not as smart as you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm very happy with my condo purchases here. Haven't dipped into housing as I don't like the grey area of ownership but I have quite a few friends that have done well.

The people that say only to rent typically know <deleted> all about property or Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

You sure have a lot of honest or is it humble opinions? Care to share some studies and links to prove your posting. BTW I did retire at 50, full pension, and just obtained an LTRWP Visa, so I must be not as smart as you.

So,,, haha... You beat me by 5 years only... 

3 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Nope mostly Fortune 500 stocks.. If crypto is your thing then you wont be around long.   You have been here too long. You sound like the typical Thai now.. How much money do you have.  haha

More than I will ever spend and can ensure my trust is left very healthy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You don't have to be very smart to know when the deck is stacked against you. Just because you and others are spouting how great it is doesn't mean others have not been fleeced..  I have looked into all the options over the years. Not worth it IMO.  A condo might be in my horizon one day. But, not until I get to old to travel and enjoy myself.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Metapod said:

The people that say only to rent typically know <deleted> all about property or Thailand.

Or can't be arsed with all the messing about! I certainly don't see the sense of an 80 yo buying, unless for a partner.

"Real estate sector to propose alternative to foreigners buying land in Thailand"

I've come up with an alternative I'm very happy with to foreigners buying land in Thailand -

Foreigners not buying land in Thailand.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, BritScot said:

This nonsense would be ended tomorrow if every other country decided to reciprocate thai Thai Land and business laws as the elite would make sure of that. Imagine certain people getting notices to sell their property in places like Germany, UK and USA with a second notice to give 51% of their business holdings to a national.

And then Thailand would and should reciprocate by making it as difficult for foreigners to move here on long-term visas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

And then Thailand would and should reciprocate by making it as difficult for foreigners to move here on long-term visas. 

I doubt that because visas are a completely separate issue and it really is tit for tat when it comes to things like this, so if they made it much harder for visas to be issued there would be reciprocation.

This land thing is law now so if they change it foreign offices around the world will take note.

Had they done nothing at all then nothing would happen. Action = reaction, that kind of thing.

Suddenly the wealthy landed Thais would find it very hard to get any kind of visa - that would be directly putting pressure on people in Thailand who know who to complain to.

One other thing is that if China the second largest economy in the world blockades Taiwan, or invades?  Inflation in Thailand will be out of control. Not only here but everywhere. It will just hit Thailand and this part of the world the hardest IMO.  The baht won't be worth much. But, even worse is you won't be able to buy what you need to take care of your family.  

It's just a bad idea all the way around to come here and invest.  People with enough money will be able to go back to their home countries and ride it out. But, even then it will probably bankrupt them in the process. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I would but if you are a golden retriever then it would be lost on you.  270K baht.. Did you buy it 25 years ago... haha.. Post some pics.

Only an idiot would buy property here in another persons name.  I would bet to venture 5 out of 10 end in a disaster. And I would venture to say it would be more like 8 out of 10.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  You are now on my ignore list.  You much do you pay to you mum to stay in her basement.

They just can't let go , I don't think they realise we can't take it with us ,

it will always will be part of Thailand , it's the small minority that have

the biggest land holdings here, and they most likely own property in

your country , they only begrudgingly allowed Farangs to legally own

Condominium's (but not a whole building ) , because they built far too

many  ,and construction lobby got the Government to allow it.

regards worgeordie 

4 hours ago, Adumbration said:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.  You are now on my ignore list.  You much do you pay to you mum to stay in her basement.

Bottom line is it is illegal to buy land in Thailand, and you don't own any land period. And neither does anyone else here that says they do.

I have see it all here.  Guys that pay lawyers to open fake business here. 

I have seen lease land here, then build on it.

I have seen guys put it in their kids name. 

Saw one guy that got back half after a divorce. 

Even the government says it is against the law to own land here and it is illegal to give the money to your wife or GF to buy the land.

Thailand is one of the best places to rent IMO. Great and cheap condos, houses. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BritScot said:

This nonsense would be ended tomorrow if every other country decided to reciprocate thai Thai Land and business laws as the elite would make sure of that. Imagine certain people getting notices to sell their property in places like Germany, UK and USA with a second notice to give 51% of their business holdings to a national.

Section 86 of the Land Code Act suggests that some sort of reciprocal agreement already exists since 1954 with some countries.

Section 86. An alien may acquire land only by virtue of the provisions of a treaty that provides for ownership of immovable property and also subject to the provisions of this Code.

To the above, Section 96 bis was added in 1999, giving foreigners the right to by land also where no reciprocal agreement exists between Thailand and the country of which the foreigner is a national, subject to Ministerial Regulations and the Minster's approval for the acquisition.

Section 96 bis.65 The provisions regarding acquisition by an alien of land by virtue of a treaty under paragraph one of Section 86 shall not apply to an alien who has brought funds to invest in the amount prescribed in the ministerial regulations, which must be at least Baht forty million, whereby the land so acquired for use as residence shall not be more than one rai, and permission therefor must be obtained from the Minister.

65 Section 96 bis added by the Land Code Amendment Act (No.8) B.E. 2542 (1999).

Edited by Puccini
Corrected a typing error

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

by making it as difficult for foreigners to move here on long-term visas. 

(I know you did not post the above comment, but quoted it!)...I just thought, 'they already do'... I do not see the retirement extension nor even marriage ones as long term, being a max of a year at a time, and terms could be changed, off you go! The more recent LTVs being offered are extremely onerous!

12 hours ago, Puccini said:

Section 86 of the Land Code Act suggests that some sort of reciprocal agreement already exists since 1954 with some countries.

To the above, Section 96 bis was added in 1999, giving foreigners the right to by land also where no reciprocal agreement exists between Thailand and the country of which the foreigner is a national, subject to Ministerial Regulations and the Minster's approval for the acquisition.

I did read once about Americans being allowed to own land for a house however I also read that at that point in time no american had managed to buy land. Try going to a land office with your passport in hand and ask "I want to buy land for a house" and you will be told with a smile " No! You Farang". I believe as of now less than the fingers on my hand own land in Thailand. You can get a "Yellow Property Book" Thais get their Blue-black book.