Cambodia is better than Thailand. Change my mind..?

bob smith

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes, see in the link? K11. But that's just sensationalist rubbish.

Notorious child brothel

... spare me. The NGOs got hold of this and made the place into a monster it never was. You could find the same underage girls in practically any Viet brothel IN Phnom Penh.

Edited by Laphroaig27

7 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

i have an aussie mate who has been there for 6 years he seems happy with the low prices and his pension payments ,zero paperwork worrys

Some guys don't need much. Booze, whores and a bedsit. They eat the same tripe daily. No medical insurance.

I'm not saying this about your pal but if you want a Thai lifestyle it pretty much costs the same as Thailand.

Edited by Laphroaig27

Cambodia and Thailand are very different places (IMHO).

I must have visited there more than 30 times for up to 2 weeks and loved it every time. I finally moved there (supposedly permanently) from Philippines about 8 years ago. Within 6 months I was totally fed up and bored. The place is too small (Phnom Penh is tiny and Siem Reap much smaller still) and everyone knows everyone else's business. It is changing so fast though.

On the plus side, much more physical variety in the fairer sex.

Still a little too 3rd world for me.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If I was starting off in retirement now I would spend a few months in Thailand and a few months in Cambodia before I decided.

I still don't understand why single Westerners come to Thailand/Cambodia for retirement unless seeking easy availability of companionship/sugar babies/future brides as a component of the retirement. It is expensive to make a trip back home not to mention no free high class health care, clean air and environment and all other facilities available in a Western country compared to Thailand (forget about Cambodia, it still stuck at the bottom). 

Edited by Onerak
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I still don't understand why single Westerners come to Thailand/Cambodia for retirement unless seeking easy availability of companionship/sugar babies/future brides as a component of the retirement. It is expensive to make a trip back home not to mention no free high class health care, clean air and environment and all other facilities available in a Western country compared to Thailand (forget about Cambodia, it still stuck at the bottom). 

1 return flights home cost $350 to $600 low season

2 hotels are 20% the cost of west

3 curries are 15%

4 climate is warm

5 dentists are 3x to 7x cheaper

6 monthly rent cheap

7 buses, trains and flights cheap

8 massages cheap

9 women everywhere

10 food everywhere so dont need to cook

What health care do you need? Stop eating junk food 90% of problems go away.

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

1 return flights home cost $350 to $600 low season

2 hotels are 20% the cost of west

3 curries are 15%

4 climate is warm

5 dentists are 3x to 7x cheaper

6 monthly rent cheap

7 buses, trains and flights cheap

8 massages cheap

9 women everywhere

10 food everywhere so dont need to cook

What health care do you need? Stop eating junk food 90% of problems go away.

Take into consideration how much money you lost through not working back home and add that into the equation 

• Like 1

Cambodia is a filthy 3rd world dump and a tremendous downgrade from a Thailand lifestyle. The perfect choice for those who can't afford a decent quality of life and mostly seek cheap rooms and beer.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Why?

A 500 Bhat room and a 50 Baht Pad Thai may seem cheap , but it wouldn't be cheap if you factored in lost wages you would have received back home .

Working back home and you would ended up the day with more $ than you began it with , being in Thailand and you will have ended up with less

6 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A 500 Bhat room and a 50 Baht Pad Thai may seem cheap , but it wouldn't be cheap if you factored in lost wages you would have received back home .

Working back home and you would ended up the day with more $ than you began it with , being in Thailand and you will have ended up with less

Your putting zero value on a person's time. Working is giving your time away for money. Most people aspire to be able to not do that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Then you use that money saved for a holiday cause all work and no play is boring.

Also digital nomads or traders can make money anywhere.

I got a 1 year visa in Phnom Penh for $370 and bought 50 grams of weed from the agent at the same time. 

Contrast that with the extreme amount of hassle I've had with sorting out my visas here. 

If my missus didn't have a beautiful piece of land here there wouldn't be much incentive for me to stay. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Onerak said:

Well, let me see if I can help you understand.

I came here because I used to live in Hong Kong for many years and I decided to retire at an age where I could still enjoy life. HK was too expensive for retirement plus I'd had enough of the place, and I didn't want to go back West after being in Asia for over twenty years. Thailand was an attractive proposition because it is nicely located for regional travel and has good links for international travel. I also like the beaches and the climate, not so much places like Pattaya but the Gulf  and Andaman coast. After a few years of enjoying those things I met my wife and we've been happily married for over twenty years. We own a home here and also one in the West that we try to visit every year during the pollution season and we rent it out through agents for the rest of the time. I will never go back to the West to live full time, Asia is in my blood. And now I understand how countries such as Thailand work, I can live within the system and not get upset, the pluses far outweigh the minuses several fold. People, attitudes, cost of living, climate, healthcare, they are all far far superior. If I get sick I can walk into any of a myriad of private hospitals and have tests and treatment immediately by Western trained medical experts, Bumrungrad, Siraj and Bangkok Hospital are three of the best in the region, NUH in Singapore is one of the very best. Of course if I was in the UK I wouldn't be eligible for free health care because I'm not resident, but if I were I could get good quality health care, as soon as my position on the waiting list came round.

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I wonder how your mind works at times...............................

A totally redundant argument, although it is mildly interesting to know that if I had not pursued my quest for a life in Thailand in 2006, I could have been better off by GBP 640,000

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

Hong Kong for many years and I decided to retire at an age where I could still enjoy life. HK

I did not read your lengthy paragraphs and stopped as soon as I saw you lived in HK for 20-years because that is an anomaly. Not many Western retirees in Thailand work and live in HK before retiring in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, SenorTashi said:

got a 1 year visa in Phnom Penh for $370 and bought 50 grams of weed from the agent at the same time. 

Contrast that with the extreme amount of hassle I've had with sorting out my visas here.

Hmm. $370 for one year in Cambodia. In Pattay it is 15K BHT for one year (at least used to be in 2020/2021). Not much difference to talk about. 

2 minutes ago, Onerak said:

I did not read your lengthy paragraphs and stopped as soon as I saw you lived in HK for 20-years because that is an anomaly. Not many Western retirees in Thailand work and live in HK before retiring in Thailand. 

I wouldn't know, I've never studied the subject although granted I haven't met anyone else who has done similar. But it is very common for Western expats who lived and worked in HK to eventually settle elsewhere, mostly back in the UK. With the benefit of hindsight, leaving was a smart move. I was there during handover and afterwards and the writing was on the wall.