What it costs to live in Thailand, on a budget ?

Social Media

4 hours ago, BostonJoe said:

We live in Hua Hin family of 3 with 4 more mooching off us , so 7 all together . House, cars paid for. We spend  around 150 thousand Baht a month  If I could just get rid of thr 4 free loaders  Anyone have interest in my sister inlaw let me know

I am so lucky in the fact my wifes family are not to badly off and have never asked for money ,or needed it .also my wife is quite imtelemgent ,and when working had good jobs .also our son now runs a company and has the mortgage on our home. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigelforbes said:

A really nice condo in CM for 2,500 baht month, do you really think I just got off the boat!

I would not say condo, however, it is possible to rent rooms in outer suburbs such as San Kamphaeng or Doi Saket for that amount.

If I chose to rent out my fully furnished condo in Chiang Rai ( with swimming pool ) the current market is 6500 - 7000 baht/month. One can pay anything between 10K and 30K for a condo in CM, depending on size and luxury level.

If I was to dispense with my GF and her support, my own budget would be about 30,000 baht/month, which is about three-fifths what I get as an Australian pension. Not that I wish to.

I remember an American in CM who was really skint, living on about 8000 baht/month. He claimed he got most of his protein by licking up ants from the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would not say condo, however, it is possible to rent rooms in outer suburbs such as San Kamphaeng or Doi Saket for that amount.

If I chose to rent out my fully furnished condo in Chiang Rai ( with swimming pool ) the current market is 6500 - 7000 baht/month. One can pay anything between 10K and 30K for a condo in CM, depending on size and luxury level.

If I was to dispense with my GF and her support, my own budget would be about 30,000 baht/month, which is about three-fifths what I get as an Australian pension. Not that I wish to.

I remember an American in CM who was really skint, living on about 8000 baht/month. He claimed he got most of his protein by licking up ants from the floor.

Indeed, I would not say condo either and if the poster were to be truthful, neither would he!

Rooms for 2,500 baht a month? There are thousands.

Edited by nigelforbes

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If I was to dispense with my GF and her support, my own budget would be about 30,000 baht/month, which is about three-fifths what I get as an Australian pension.

What is Australian pension? 

You mean old age pension? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Come on ,living in my old home town with my wife and son ,surrounded by muslims  was wonderful ,only one lad was  stabbed to  death outside his school when  we left ,where i used to work now is another land ,drugs freely available ,the wheels off my car were only stolen once , 

best thing we ever did coming back here ,The UK is  not a nice place now mass immigration of the wrong kind has destroyed it.i

The delicious irony of a brit who picked up sticks to sully a Thai neighborhood complaining about foreigners moving in and changing the place. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

If you are single, and are a monastic type, as little as 20 to 30,000 a month. If you have a significant other, or like some freedom of movement, don't like to count every baht, and want to enjoy your remaining years, at least 60,000 a month. 

I'd say "single, monastic type"  can survive spending 10-20% of that and if your survival doesn't depend on exotic stuff like "continental breakfast", comfortable life starts from $1k/month +-

But yeah, if you spend 60k+/month you almost ballin ????)))

29 minutes ago, ViajeroLA said:

I'd say "single, monastic type"  can survive spending 10-20% of that and if your survival doesn't depend on exotic stuff like "continental breakfast", comfortable life starts from $1k/month +-

But yeah, if you spend 60k+/month you almost ballin ????)))

We all have different lifestyles, and some don't require much comfort. Nothing wrong with that. Depends on how much you have to work with. I prefer not to skimp. Like to eat out alot, like to travel alot, and have a younger woman, who needs to be maintained! Whatever works. I am thankful I have enough funds to live very well. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Come on Guys Thailand is not that cheap anymore I just spend 75000 baht for a 10-day holiday and never went to a bar, yes, I did eat Farang food twice in 10 days and that included the lift from BKK to Pattaya Thailand is not that cheap anymore 

So where did the money go? Costs me 2000 baht to 3000 baht a day.

Thailand is cheap.