What it costs to live in Thailand, on a budget ?

Social Media

Just now, bang saen guy said:

Never tried. KFC actually has good coffee though. A bit off topic. Sorry

Why on earth one has to go to KFC for ice cream and coffee heaven knows..... I thought they were famous for the lumps of bone and gristle, wrapped in shxt and deep fried!   

• Haha 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

Why on earth one has to go to KFC for ice cream and coffee heaven knows..... I thought they were famous for the lumps of bone and gristle, wrapped in shxt and deep fried!   

I made a mistake. Meant coffee from Mickey Ds. Stopped for a breakfast sandwich. 

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Ice cream all tastes the same. Only marketing is the difference. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Sparktrader said:

Ice cream all tastes the same. Only marketing is the difference. 

I am partial to a Magnum and keep several in the freezer....I have tried ice-cream at Swensons and such places and yes, been disappointed. I have ancient memories of wonderful tasting ice-cream in Devon, UK and Italy, but perhaps I created my own fantasies. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

I am partial to a Magnum and keep several in the freezer....I have tried ice-cream at Swensons and such places and yes, been disappointed. I have ancient memories of wonderful tasting ice-cream in Devon, UK and Italy, but perhaps I created my own fantasies. 

Italy is the only place I found ice cream to be very good. Their pizzas were poor though. 

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Burger King is a rip off in Thailand. Bad burgers anyway.

Wine, some fruits like strawberries and proper western cooked food are the main things that are expensive.

Mulberries 39 baht a punnet

Strawberries 359 baht

Thai strawberries in season are 60-80 baht a kilo, trucks by the side of the road and driving around the sois, they come into season later this month.

Interested to know what you consider is "proper western cooked food" ?

Some western meals are expensive on Thai terms but still cheaper, or on par, with western prices.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not had Magnum in a while. The apple cranberry sorbet at Swensens is the reason I go

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Thai strawberries in season are 60-80 baht a kilo, trucks by the side of the road and driving around the sois, they come into season later this month.

Interested to know what you consider is "proper western cooked food" ?

Some western meals are expensive on Thai terms but still cheaper, or on par, with western prices.

Steak

Burger

Fish n chips

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Italy is the only place I found ice cream to be very good. Their pizzas were poor though. 

Agree for the ice cream but for the pizzas many are pizzerias run by Pakistani????

• Like 1

The poster is talking about survival (living with a roof over your head, but not homeless), not extras.

Room can be 2,000 baht. Food and water could be 50 baht x3 per day. Add 1000 baht a month for electric (one fluorescent tube light in the room and a hot water kettle) and necessities that allow you to appear in public to eat like toilet paper wipes or razors to shave and cut your hair.

So we are talking 7,500 baht a month or $200 Usd.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, still kicking said:

Come on Guys Thailand is not that cheap anymore I just spend 75000 baht for a 10-day holiday and never went to a bar, yes, I did eat Farang food twice in 10 days and that included the lift from BKK to Pattaya Thailand is not that cheap anymore 

The thread is about living in Thailand on a budget, not what you spend on holiday

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I would not say condo, however, it is possible to rent rooms in outer suburbs such as San Kamphaeng or Doi Saket for that amount.

If I chose to rent out my fully furnished condo in Chiang Rai ( with swimming pool ) the current market is 6500 - 7000 baht/month. One can pay anything between 10K and 30K for a condo in CM, depending on size and luxury level.

If I was to dispense with my GF and her support, my own budget would be about 30,000 baht/month, which is about three-fifths what I get as an Australian pension. Not that I wish to.

I remember an American in CM who was really skint, living on about 8000 baht/month. He claimed he got most of his protein by licking up ants from the floor.

????

10 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Yes, I don't eat Thai food so there was western food for 2 people every day and some red wine and you know the cost of that.

Sounds like Spain, Portugal, Italy, Croatia and Turkey would be perfect destinations for you. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Where I live now, I buy 5 litre boxes for about 360 baht and yes, it's a decent wine 

How many points do you reckon as a decent wine? 

• 95-100 Classic: a great wine.
  • 90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style.
  • 85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities.
  • 80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine.
  • 75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws.
  • 50-74 Not recommended
  • Like 1