Yellow Book issues - Wang Noi District Office

5 hours ago, Hotrats said:

Yes. The yellow book, plus the pink ID card, are useful for any time you need to show proof of address; and that includes when renewing your driving license.

Thanks, Hotrats.  Good to know. (Not looking forward to the process of getting them, but I'll just have to grin & bear it!)

The problem is that as with most other government departments each office makes its own rules and these Amphurs are no different. 

I experienced similar problems years ago until as suggested below I produced the brown envelope. 

All the problems evaporated and I then received VIP service. 

You can also get a pink ID card as part of the process. 

Op... Anything lost in Translation ?

How good is the language and communication level of the person you are dealing with... it seems Something has been mixed up. 

You need... 

1) MFA verified, certification of the Embassy Verified Copy of your passport. 

- Get your Embassy to Verify a Copy of your Passport. 

- Get that Verified Copy of your Passport translated (with an approved translator, i.e. one at the MFA office).

- Submit the Translated copy of your passport to the MFA for their Verification. 

You don’t need to be married to be in a Yellow Tabien House book - any foreigner can get a Yellow houseboat, married or not. 

You need the ‘House owners’ information (i.e. your Wifes - She’ll need a Thai ID, Blue House Book, you’ll also need a That Witness). 

-----

IF the amphur is being difficult its because the officer doesn’t want to do it, it's a lot of paperwork for them.

Go back, stick to your guns, ask for a ‘printed list of requirements’.

7 hours ago, Hotrats said:

Yes. The yellow book, plus the pink ID card, are useful for any time you need to show proof of address; and that includes when renewing your driving license.

Just be aware though that using your pink card to obtain a driving licence restricts you to getting a two year licence. I used my passport for my car licence which is good for 5 years at each renewal but used my pink card for my bike licence and only got 2 years when I went to renew it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OJAS said:

Apart from those seeking permanent residency and/or Thai citizenship - for which the yellow book is, I gather, a prerequisite - I really don't think that this particular document is worth bothering about.

Absolutely correct

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, Toolong said:

Sympathies to robwood12, this kind of bureaucratic c**p can really be annoying.

Related to said yellow book, I'm hoping to get one in Pakchong (+ the pink ID card), as I have been told they can help me renew my Thai driving license more easily, without the need to drive up to immigration to get proof of residence. Anyone know if that's right? 

Thanks

Be careful with using the yellow book/pink ID for driving license. I did use that and afterwards I found out that the driving license was only valid in the province where the yellow book was issued. In my case only BKK. That is written on the backside of the driving license. DLT said I must apply for a document from the amphure when going outside BKK. But the amphure did not know anything about that. Same with the police (they said bring the international driving license too to be sure) and Immigration in Chaeng Wattana did not know anything either of this. So no one seems to know anything but it look like it is better using the passport when renew or taking new driving license. Or converting the license from the home country. Then you can drive outside the province it look like. Thai logic. However it is better using the pink ID when opening a bank account for the 400 000 or 800 000 because the ID number never changes. The passport number changes after 5 years when renew and then you need to renew the bank account as well. That will be checked when you apply for a 1 year extension.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:35 AM, BigStar said:

We'll all note that down carefully. Next.

So all those amphurs who place roadblocks in the way of obtaining yellow books are bosum pals of yours, then, are they, as they provide you with a golden opportunity to gleefully slag off the likes of myself and @nigelforbes on here in a sneeringly patronisingly sarcastically arrogant manner?

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:58 AM, BigStar said:

I enjoyed the battle and won. Pattaya has strict requirements, too, to help keep out all the riff-raff.

image.png.724ada65135d57c54740522de6e296aa.png

And might these "strict requirements" include the provision of well-stuffed brown envelopes??

5 hours ago, Captor said:

Be careful with using the yellow book/pink ID for driving license. I did use that and afterwards I found out that the driving license was only valid in the province where the yellow book was issued. In my case only BKK. That is written on the backside of the driving license. DLT said I must apply for a document from the amphure when going outside BKK. But the amphure did not know anything about that. Same with the police (they said bring the international driving license too to be sure) and Immigration in Chaeng Wattana did not know anything either of this. So no one seems to know anything but it look like it is better using the passport when renew or taking new driving license. Or converting the license from the home country. Then you can drive outside the province it look like. Thai logic. However it is better using the pink ID when opening a bank account for the 400 000 or 800 000 because the ID number never changes. The passport number changes after 5 years when renew and then you need to renew the bank account as well. That will be checked when you apply for a 1 year extension.

Captor, sorry for the slow reply!

Well, what you say is extremely interesting & useful to keep in mind. Much of what you say I was definitely not aware of.

As you say, 'Thai logic' at work. Strange about the license & limitations on validity. The one I'm renewing was issued in Bkk and I have been able to travel everywhere. I live in Korat now and hope my new license does not have the restrictions in travel. I shall have to make enquiries. 

The ID info' you give is also very helpful to know.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!????????????

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Captor, sorry for the slow reply!

Well, what you say is extremely interesting & useful to keep in mind. Much of what you say I was definitely not aware of.

As you say, 'Thai logic' at work. Strange about the license & limitations on validity. The one I'm renewing was issued in Bkk and I have been able to travel everywhere. I live in Korat now and hope my new license does not have the restrictions in travel. I shall have to make enquiries. 

The ID info' you give is also very helpful to know.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!????????????

Dear Toolong, you where not slow. I was! I just answered you yesterday ????

Yes, this is very interesting and all this happen the last 3 weeks. So it is not old information. Chaeng Wattana was on Monday as I got the 1 year extension so that was a perfect opportunity to raise this question with them in the main Immigration of Thailand. But it was not known by them. Talked with the correct people there. Not the extension officer.

I would like to hear if others have any knowledge about this as well. I have also heard about people having this restriction (in Thai) on the backside of the license for many years already and not know about it as it is in Thai and they have driven all around in Thailand and also been stopped by the police several times with no problem ????. At least it is a good idea to ask at DLT next time about this and then choose passport or ID card. The person at the amphure called them and asked about this as it was news for him and then DLT just hanged up the phone! The man at the am amphure called 2 times with the same result. It was surrealistic!

It is worth to mention that this maybe can affect the insurance if having an accident. So better check with them as well.

I would be happy to hear if you find more information about this. I personally have decided to bring the international driving license with me all the time and after 2 years I will renew it with the passport for the 5 years driving license.

1 hour ago, Captor said:

Dear Toolong, you where not slow. I was! I just answered you yesterday ????

Yes, this is very interesting and all this happen the last 3 weeks. So it is not old information. Chaeng Wattana was on Monday as I got the 1 year extension so that was a perfect opportunity to raise this question with them in the main Immigration of Thailand. But it was not known by them. Talked with the correct people there. Not the extension officer.

I would like to hear if others have any knowledge about this as well. I have also heard about people having this restriction (in Thai) on the backside of the license for many years already and not know about it as it is in Thai and they have driven all around in Thailand and also been stopped by the police several times with no problem ????. At least it is a good idea to ask at DLT next time about this and then choose passport or ID card. The person at the amphure called them and asked about this as it was news for him and then DLT just hanged up the phone! The man at the am amphure called 2 times with the same result. It was surrealistic!

It is worth to mention that this maybe can affect the insurance if having an accident. So better check with them as well.

I would be happy to hear if you find more information about this. I personally have decided to bring the international driving license with me all the time and after 2 years I will renew it with the passport for the 5 years driving license.

That does sound like a 'surrealistic' farce with those phone calls! ????

This is getting even more interesting.....and quite amusing!

I will ask my Thai friend to translate the back of my current license. 

I will let you know what I can find out about this. ????

Thanks for the extra info. Cheers! ????

With my pink ID, which I get only with the yellow book, I can be registered at the government Hospital. If I get sick or have an accident, every government hospital in Thailand can get my history through my ID card number.  That could be very helpful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Captor said:

I did use that and afterwards I found out that the driving license was only valid in the province where the yellow book was issued. In my case only BKK.

This is correct 100%

I can read Thai, it says exactly as you said.

Hated it, then got it changed to Passport

12 hours ago, Captor said:

Not quite true.... 

While the Pink ID is province specific the Thai Driving licence is still a national driving licence...  its simply tied to your Pink ID instead of your Passport ID.

The premise is your your Pink ID is only valid within the province it is issued, some people would also try and argue that if you have the Pink ID you are restricted to your province of issue which is silly. Your passport supersedes your Pink ID anyway, particularly when out of your (Thai) province. 

Your Thai Driving Licence remains a national driving licence, your permission to drive is not based on any specific province and your Passport ID still proves your ID with other biometrics (Name, DOB & Photo). 

There is a lot of misinformation muddying these waters, some posted by those who seem to want to ‘hate on the pink ID’ for whatever reasons. 

Then there is the ambiguity of language used on these documents. 

On the rear of the Thai DL it states used it with a ‘permission letter’...  What is meant by that is the ID with which the Thai DL is tied to is an ID which is not valid outside of the province, thus the DL is to be used with ‘alternative permission to leave the province’ ..... 

... in this case the Passport is the permission to leave the province.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, swissman53 said:

With my pink ID, which I get only with the yellow book, I can be registered at the government Hospital. If I get sick or have an accident, every government hospital in Thailand can get my history through my ID card number.  That could be very helpful.

I think you will find the same can be said about passport number.  Thats how I found it with all hospitals up my way even through the covid pandemic.  I didnt register for the Mor Chor? covid app but instead they were able to source my info with passport number when having my vax's/boosters etc.

The Yellow book contains your Thai ID No. This is what makes it useful. An example of mine from experience was a stay in the local hospital. When it was bill time I was not charged the full foreigner price but was charged on a lower pricing tier. (I think there are 5 different pricing tiers.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, Will B Good said:

Not be asked for either of those.....only document I have been asked to provide is passport translation and certification.....I hope it stays like that. 

I was asked as well for passport translation and residency certificate, I havent gone back yet but the certificate of residence has a passport translation incorporated in it so I will try and go that way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I think you will find the same can be said about passport number.  Thats how I found it with all hospitals up my way even through the covid pandemic.  I didnt register for the Mor Chor? covid app but instead they were able to source my info with passport number when having my vax's/boosters etc.

Your passport don´t change number every time you renew it? That is my case.

On 11/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, ThaiFelix said:

Your passport number will change every 5 or 10 years, and you know how "easy" it is to change something like that.

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 1:08 AM, Captor said:

Your passport don´t change number every time you renew it? That is my case.

Yes and it happened about a year ago.  Just a matter of advising the hospitals justy the same as you would with the banks.  No big deal in my experience.  Getting a yellow book in my area...almost impossible and pointless as most up my way dont recognise it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:46 PM, Billy Bloggs said:

I was asked as well for passport translation and residency certificate, I havent gone back yet but the certificate of residence has a passport translation incorporated in it so I will try and go that way.

Ok went back today and the missus did all the talking without me present, the whole outcome now is (she didnt get the helpful guy this time)they need the village head to attend for allow me to have one(HUH) plus the person above the village head (Double HUH), they want to know why I want one.

I know I'm clutching at straws but do you have to do it at your local office or can you do it at the province capital(I know its no but I live in hope, Im also ex-military so a stickler for entitlements, if Im emtitled to one I want one. 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, rbkk said:

The Yellow book contains your Thai ID No. This is what makes it useful. An example of mine from experience was a stay in the local hospital. When it was bill time I was not charged the full foreigner price but was charged on a lower pricing tier. (I think there are 5 different pricing tiers.)

Wrong.  There are actually 4 tiers.  None of them mention anything about a yellow book or pink card.  They are: 1.  a Thai person, 2.  A farang from neighbouring country, 3.  A farang working on a Non Im B, and 4. a farang tourist or expat.  

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/dual-pricing-foreigners-legal-thai-public-hospitals/

Edited by ThaiFelix

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:
On 11/12/2022 at 8:41 PM, rbkk said:

Expand  

Wrong.  There are actually 4 tiers.  None of them mention anything about a yellow book or pink card.  They are: 1.  a Thai person, 2.  A farang from neighbouring country, 3.  A farang working on a Non Im B, and 4. a farang tourist or expat.  

Sorry to read you got out of bed this morning on the wrong side! I used my Yellow book to register (easily) and receive treatment (ongoing clinic +free Covid-19 vaccines x4) at my local hospital. I have never had a Non Imm B visa. I do have a Non Imm O which allows you to work if you chose (Group 3). Group 4 is for retirees not expats, you sir are wrong. Taken from your link.....

"The fourth group consists of tourists and retirees."

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/dual-pricing-foreigners-legal-thai-public-hospitals/

Edited by rbkk
link

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

Sorry to read you got out of bed this morning on the wrong side! I used my Yellow book to register (easily) and receive treatment (ongoing clinic +free Covid-19 vaccines x4) at my local hospital. I have never had a Non Imm B visa. I do have a Non Imm O which allows you to work if you chose (Group 3). Group 4 is for retirees not expats, you sir are wrong. Taken from your link.....

"The fourth group consists of tourists and retirees."

No-one is disputing that it was easy for you to register for anything or get free/easy treatment because you have the YB/PK??

You stated: "When it was bill time I was not charged the full foreigner price but was charged on a lower pricing tier. "  That is what I am saying is wrong.  Where does it tier Foreigner with YB/PK as against Foreigner without YB/PK, the latter I imagine is the folk you claim are paying the "full foreigner price"?

And no, wrong again, I did get up on the right side this morning as I do most days.

Have great day! 

• Haha 1