Thais abroad warned not to buy fresh fruit to bring home

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

I expect most countries have restrictions on people randomly bringing in fruit, though the Thai penalties are light comparatively, up to one year imprisonment/20000 baht fine.

They may like to consider the tourist fined in July for bringing half a Subway sandwich to Australia - $AU2644, that's $US1844.

$220 is standard fine

We hadn't planned on bringing more fruit than we can eat during travel but was thinking of turkey jerky.  Not a large amount but sometimes it's a nice snack on a cracker with cheese.  

I guess meat products not ok and what about cheese?

2 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

she wasn't a tourist mate, she was a local. she should know about Australia's strict biosecurity rules and if she didn't then the questionnaire she completed before arrival should have given her pause to think about what was in her bags. 

but some people don't like to learn new things as I found out growing up down under. the only things some people take seriously are the lineup of their footy team and which is faster, a V8 Commy or a V8 Falcon ????

Jet lag you forget

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

We hadn't planned on bringing more fruit than we can eat during travel but was thinking of turkey jerky.  Not a large amount but sometimes it's a nice snack on a cracker with cheese.  

I guess meat products not ok and what about cheese?

Processed food ok normally. Its the fresh stuff that has risk. Tinned and package ok if not open.

Beef jerky ok cause its not fresh.

Chips, peanuts ok 

What about all the fruit that get exported out of Los , Do you really think that that Fruit/Veg is Bug/Poison free . that's why it get tested ,same with meat  when it arrives at the foreign country  and Refused /Returned if not up to that countries standard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

she wasn't a tourist mate, she was a local. she should know about Australia's strict biosecurity rules and if she didn't then the questionnaire she completed before arrival should have given her pause to think about what was in her bags. 

but some people don't like to learn new things as I found out growing up down under. the only things some people take seriously are the lineup of their footy team and which is faster, a V8 Commy or a V8 Falcon ????

The Falcon of course ???? although these days I’d say the 6 not 8.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said that the plant quarantine checkpoints at the Suvarnabhumi airport have confiscated a lot of fresh fruit being brought back by Thai travellers, many of whom claimed they bought them according to advice offered by their guides

Lol... scams work both ways.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Japanese fruit won't harm Thailand. I don't understand even ONE post comparing AUS to Thailand in this thread.  They are COMPLETELY different topics. Japan standard are also waaay higher than Thailands. 

I honestly do wonder whether there are any known agricultural diseases or pests in Korea and Japan that pose a threat to Thai crops, or whether this is just theater - I don't know the answer to that question. 

It would help if they didn't tax imported fruit so much.

There's so little variety thats really expensive in bigger cities and virtually nothing in the outlining areas.

Thailands protectionism hurts everyone. 

18 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

I expect most countries have restrictions on people randomly bringing in fruit, though the Thai penalties are light comparatively, up to one year imprisonment/20000 baht fine.

They may like to consider the tourist fined in July for bringing half a Subway sandwich to Australia - $AU2644, that's $US1844.

I remember once landing in Bangkok, and having a banana confiscated from an emirates flight. I said to them it was likely from the Caribbean. But as a passenger, I was completely oblivious to its origins.

I laughed so much, that they got shirty and angst. It made me laugh even more. 
in fact, I had to sign a waiver for the banana, which made me bend over double - nearly pissing myself laughing.

One of the most funniest customs experiences I have ever had in the world. 
But to top it off he has to be the Land of Smiles.