Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they want to remain or join what else would they say? Hardly a good argument against Brexit.

It would be good if you didn't take my comments out of context and misrepresent their meaning.

That comment of mine wasn't meant to be an argument against Brexit. It was simply pointing out that the OP's European friends, who want to leave the EU, are not representative of the wider EU public who are heavily in favour of remaining in the bloc.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I  agree, they should MBB (Make Britain Better) by rejoining post haste.

And by all means carry on banging that fake drum that Britain was ruled by Brussels. It's no less inane today than it was back in 2016.

They can't rejoin, UK has to apply. 

What good would it do. 

2 hours ago, RayC said:

There is always the option to admit a mistake was made and reverse it. However in any event, the UK government could make things better currently by encouraging better relations with the EU.

It's the height of irony for Brexiters to accuse Remainers of longing for the "good old days"????

LOL. I'd rather be longing for the good days to come without being under the Brussels yoke.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I  agree, they should MBB (Make Britain Better) by rejoining post haste.

And by all means carry on banging that fake drum that Britain was ruled by Brussels. It's no less inane today than it was back in 2016.

What is inane is to deny it. We left and they're still at it to a large degree. EU boats harvesting fish as close as 6 miles off the British coast today. Not inane so much as insane. No deal was the only way to go to get any sensible concessions from this lot. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, of course it's from almost 7 years ago. You know, before Brexit actually was voted for.

Of course, no one is saying it now. The consequences of Brexit are way too apparent. Instead, Brexiters accuse the EU of being vindictive.

The EU is vindictive. But what's that got to do with the post you replied to?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RayC said:

If straw-clutching and/or pedancy ever become Olympic event(s), then you must be in with a real chance of becoming gold medalist!

Yes, what you say is correct in purely numeric terms.

However, I'll repeat: The opposition parties were opposed to the UK leaving the EU. Therefore, unsurprisingly, they voted against doing so.

As a group within the governing Tory party, the ERG were in favour of leaving the EU. Therefore, I would expect them to vote in favour of a deal which does just that. They didn't and the May administration fell.

If the ERG had voted in favour of the deal, it would have passed irrespective of how the opposition MPs had voted. 

It remains a mystery why the ERG didn't vote for May's deals. After all, throughout the Brexit campaign, Brexiters continually reiterated that they knew what they were voting for! (To be clear, this is a sarcastic comment).

It was a bad deal - that's why they voted against it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RayC said:

If straw-clutching and/or pedancy ever become Olympic event(s), then you must be in with a real chance of becoming gold medalist!

Yes, what you say is correct in purely numeric terms.

However, I'll repeat: The opposition parties were opposed to the UK leaving the EU. Therefore, unsurprisingly, they voted against doing so.

As a group within the governing Tory party, the ERG were in favour of leaving the EU. Therefore, I would expect them to vote in favour of a deal which does just that. They didn't and the May administration fell.

If the ERG had voted in favour of the deal, it would have passed irrespective of how the opposition MPs had voted. 

It remains a mystery why the ERG didn't vote for May's deals. After all, throughout the Brexit campaign, Brexiters continually reiterated that they knew what they were voting for! (To be clear, this is a sarcastic comment).

Yes, but the  MPs were offered Mays deal , which was a sort of half in half out deal, Brexit in name only , this deal was voted against by both the MP's who wanted a hard Brexit and also the MPs who wanted to remain  in the E.U.

The the Remain MP,s voted for Mays BRINO deal , the UK would still be be half in the E.U.

It was both the full on leave MP's and the Remain MPs who rejected the BRINO offer

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

No there isn't. Elements of the UK government were hoping for better relations with the EU right after the referendum result was known. Cameron had already butted his head against the Brussels brick wall and could see the writing on it - so the coward quickly and deftly got out. The worst thing about that was the arrival of May, and we know how that worked out.

To be fair to David Cameroon , he was a devout Remainer and wanted to Remain in the E.U and he voted to Remain in the E.U and he thought that as a Remainer, he wasn't the right person to lead negotiations in the UK's Brexit , so he resigned as PM

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

To be fair to David Cameroon , he was a devout Remainer and wanted to Remain in the E.U and he voted to Remain in the E.U and he thought that as a Remainer, he wasn't the right person to lead negotiations in the UK's Brexit , so he resigned as PM

Mac, the referendum was his baby. He should have been a more responsible parent. 

• Like 1

Just now, nauseus said:

Mac, the referendum was his baby. He should have been a more responsible parent. 

Cameroon didn't want to leave the E.U.

Here is his speech just after the referendum was announced 

He was trying to convince the British public to vote Remain and he only called a referendum in an attempt to silence UKIP (who were gaining popularity and taking votes )

(Video content :*Cameron saying the UK should vote remain )

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Cameroon didn't want to leave the E.U.

Here is his speech just after the referendum was announced 

He was trying to convince the British public to vote Remain and he only called a referendum in an attempt to silence UKIP (who were gaining popularity and taking votes )

(Video content :*Cameron saying the UK should vote remain )

I remember it. Like I said, his baby.