Best time to transfer the 800K to another account?

I have always kept a separate account for the 800K, but it is the only account I have that isn't in joint names. This might present a problem for my partner on my death, so I want to transfer the 800K to our joint account.  When would be the best time to do this so not to cause any problems with Immigration?

I know I have to have at least double the 800K in a joint account, this will not be a problem.

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Maybe not 100% legal, but accounts still operate and are accesable after your demise, just have an atm card or online banking setup. The day after you leave this mortal coil, your wife transfers money.

Nobody is monitoring accounts or closing them the day you pass away.

Even back in Australia, I was accessing my father account after he passed, paying bills, moving money etc (direct debits where still drawing funds).. I was even advised to by the solicitor doing the probate.

She's not my wife. Together 13 years but never married, so I doubt she can access the 800K account.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

She's not my wife. Together 13 years but never married, so I doubt she can access the 800K account.

She can if you give her the ATM card, or the online banking password.

There are no banking police checking that you passed at 3pm and the account was accessed at 4pm.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Your concern noted and similar to myself..... I have always feared the account getting locked (by police) on my demise, until legal processes are completed.... and if she had accessed it, it might create problems. I really don't trust police here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

She can if you give her the ATM card, or the online banking password.

There are no banking police checking that you passed at 3pm and the account was accessed at 4pm.

The 800K is in a term deposit account, no ATM card.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The 800K is in a term deposit account, no ATM card.

Yes mine too.... leave it alone and no problems!  Just worry the partner would be able to get to it....  a court order would be required and hence lawyer fees. 

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You can have your other half on your account , she signs next to you in bank book , 

the Immigration cannot see it as it needs a black light, I don't know what it's called

but just go to bank and explain what you want to do, she can withdraw funds ,but

her name does not appear on the front page of the account book.

regards wogeordie

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You can have your other half on your account , she signs next to you in bank book , 

the Immigration cannot see it as it needs a black light, I don't know what it's called

but just go to bank and explain what you want to do, she can withdraw funds ,but

her name does not appear on the front page of the account book.

regards wogeordie

The bank has said that can't have a joint account on a term deposit account. I think a will is the only way to go.

Edited by giddyup

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Your concern noted and similar to myself..... I have always feared the account getting locked (by police) on my demise, until legal processes are completed.... and if she had accessed it, it might create problems. I really don't trust police here. 

Do you really think that happens (anywhere in the world) ?  As I wrote above, police are not locking accounts the day you pass.

As above, I was still operating my fathers accounts back in Australia months after he passed. Dividends where still coming in, direct debits where still going out, bills still needed to be paid. I even paid for his funeral from that account.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The bank has said that can't have a joint account on a term deposit account. I think a will is the only way to go.

It's not a joint account , your partners name is not on the account , only signs same place

you do at back of book , I have 3 accounts like this ,savings and fixed accounts ,so it can

be done.

regards worgeordie

13 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Why don't you make a will so that she gets it when you kick the bucket?

They are pretty cheap and easy to do.

I have one, but not done through a lawyer, so that will be my next step.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It's not a joint account , your partners name is not on the account , only signs same place

you do at back of book , I have 3 accounts like this ,savings and fixed accounts ,so it can

be done.

regards worgeordie

If it's not a joint account how can she have access to it? Which bank are you using? Different banks have different rules.

Edited by giddyup

32 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Why don't you make a will so that she gets it when you kick the bucket?

They are pretty cheap and easy to do.

The Will is easy enough (and a useful backup) but the Probate aspect could well be time consuming and costly (usually 30k min for a lawyer to obtain Probate if the bank insist on that).

46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is a possibility a further extension will not be approved as you did not meet the terms of the previous one. I do not know of many who risk this..... and immigration want to see a full years account details in some IOs for this reason. 

An agent could probably work it out. 

When I used Buriram they never mentioned the 3 month rule and you do not have to return. Now I deal with Jomtien who give you an appointment letter. As @Jingthinghas frequently pointed out, few people bother with it and there are NO repercussions. IO's invariably only check bank statements for 800k being in for 2 months - and that, overall, the balance has not dropped below 400k.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Who needs to risk it?

Up to you, it is your money. 

If it scares you, keep 800k in your account for 5 months then move 400k to joint account. When you get to 2 months before your extension application date move 400k back.

You can't use the joint account for Immigration purposes.