Democrat Katie Hobbs defeats MAGA favorite Kari Lake in high-stakes race for governor in Arizona

Scott

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The article was noticeably lacking in analyzing these supposedly more moderate Republicans actual political positions. I see you have nothing to say about the Arizona race in this regard.

About Arizona in particular I think the former governor, Ducey, would have been a far better choice in the run for the senate seat. But he didn't want to go through the hassle and spectacle of getting "pre vetted" by Trump. He had his pride as a successful governor and I respect that. 

As for governor, as I said before Lake's mistake was in not creating enough of a brand for herself. That, and as others have said, foolishly running down the McCains, cost her support.  Even so, it was a tight race, decided by what, 1%?

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

About Arizona in particular I think the former governor, Ducey, would have been a far better choice in the run for the senate seat. But he didn't want to go through the hassle and spectacle of getting "pre vetted" by Trump. He had his pride as a successful governor and I respect that. 

As for governor, as I said before Lake's mistake was in not creating enough of a brand for herself. That, and as others have said, foolishly running down the McCains, cost her support.  Even so, it was a tight race, decided by what, 1%?

Utterly irrelevant to the point that the person who Lake defeated, and who the Democrats undermined, was fundamentally no different from her when it came to actual issues.

32 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Newsweek disagrees.

"This choice by the DCCC to put a huge amount of money into supporting far-right candidates who support the conspiracy theories about a fraudulent election, is another egregious attack on people's trust in our government," Carolyn Lukensmeyer, the founding executive director of the National Institute for Civil Discourse, told Newsweek.

https://www.newsweek.com/democrats-spent-43-million-helping-election-deniers-win-their-primaries-1731068

The Democrats spent tens of millions of dollars trying to get MAGA extreme candidates on the ballot at the expense of less extreme ones.

So it's the Dems fault that the Republicans put forward the candidates they did?

Do you actually read back any of this stuff you write?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Perhaps you've been sequestered on a tropical isle like Tom Hanks in that movie. Just in case, I'll provide one example.

45 planned and fomented an attempt to overturn the results of the 2020 election. He told his goobers to come to DC on the 6th of Jan 2021 "it will be wild", he tweeted), then incited them to move on the Capitol. It wasn't to buy souvenirs at the Capitol gift shop. He then sat idle for 187 minutes watching the insurrection by his terrorist mob on TV, doing absolutely nothing to stop it. He heard the chants of "Hang Mike Pence", yet he made no calls to get National Guard or law enforcement to stop the attempted coup.

That is an example of an authoritarian move by 45. It also falls under the definition of Sedition, a capital offense.

He should be indicted, tried, and if found guilty, executed according to the law. No half mast flags when he's executed, and no burial at Arlington where real patriots rest.

Word!

1 minute ago, Phoenix Rising said:

trump had a good presidency?? Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!!

Are you kidding? He had a great presidency! Why do you think he ran in the first place?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2021/07/19/trumps-business-hauled-in-24-billion-during-four-years-he-served-as-president/?sh=5a12b94610c0

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Arizona is a red state and the incumbent previous governor was a Republican. Should be a cakewalk by Republican. Lake aka Trump f…. It up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Arizona is a red state and the incumbent previous governor was a Republican. Should be a cakewalk by Republican. Lake aka Trump f…. It up. 

Lake was anti-abortion, anti-gun laws, and an election denier. I am willing to bet there were plenty of Republican women voters who held their noses and voted Democrat, mostly over Roe vs Wade.

People are not stupid, they can connect the dots. When Trump ensured the Supreme Court would have a preponderance of anti-abortionists, he also sowed the seeds for his current humiliation. He'll take none of the blame for that, he has said so. It's one of the very few times I believe what he says.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You think Trump was responsible for the good economy, low inflation and low gas prices? You got some evidence for that?

Prison sentencing reform was a good thing although severely reduced in usefulness because sentencing reform was eliminated because Republicans were overwhelmingly opposed.

Middle East peace was an ambigous blessing since Trump had the US withdraw from the Iran Nuclear Agreement and further penalized those who would continue to do business with Iran. Among other things, it means that Iran is now supporting Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Forgot to mention reshaping the Supreme Court, stomping a mudhole in ISIS, and killing terrorists like al Bagdhadi and Soleimani...

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Also interesting is that Lake was one of the supposedly "dangerous" people who were endorsed by the Democratic Party in the primaries. This was a very crass strategy that unfortunately paid off in the election. On the one hand, "democracy is on the ballot" proclaimed every Democratic candidate". On the other, their party was actively trying to get enemies of democracy and election deniers through GOP primaries.   Kind of tells you where the reality of the issue lies. 

"actively trying to get enemies of democracy and election deniers through GOP primaries" is willfully misunderstanding what happened. The dems, correctly calculated that underminers of democracy were never going to get to undermine anything and so backed them against actual competition.

In other words, they knew that Trump was toxic and so adopted the simple strategy of backing his acolytes.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Good economy, low inflation, low unemployment, Middle East peace, prison sentencing reform, low gas prices...

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Forgot to mention reshaping the Supreme Court, stomping a mudhole in ISIS, and killing terrorists like al Bagdhadi and Soleimani...

I don't think Trump reshaped the Supreme Court. Rather, he extended right wing dominance. And the majority of Americans clearly don't think it was a good thing. But I guess if you support corporations at the expense of American workers, it might look good to you. And then there is the Dobbs decision.

And actually, the stomping of Isis was well underway  before Trump took office and he really didn't follow through on that.

And how does he killing of terrorists differ from what went on during the Obama administration?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I've been waiting on this one.  Not that it impacts my life at all, but because I can't stand that woman.  A total nutbag who lies constantly.  Kari Lake's 15 minutes of fame is over....thank God.

and that makes 2 of us

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Absolutely.

AND the Democrats need to own that they were lying when they cried wolf about "the threat to Our Democracy" and then tried to get candidates who they claimed WERE "threats to Our Democracy" on the ballot in numerous states.  

Can't have it both ways. 

No, the Democrats were correct in warning that big lie supporters were a threat to democracy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The dems, correctly calculated that underminers of democracy were never going to get to undermine anything and so backed them against actual competition.

Bingo. Stir the pot so that morons get elected in the Republican primaries, then in the general election, independents and normal Republicans would be enticed by the Democratic candidate. What a great Democratic tactic -- and it worked. Probably little risk, when you realize MAGA doesn't represent the average American, nor even the average Republican -- at least in the privacy of the voting booth.

Some, like hanaguma, just don't get it. That the Democratic Party tacticians realized most voters can think outside the cult-following box, was a winner. Yeah, doesn't quite pass the sniff test. Neither did Tammany Hall. But, if the end justifies the means, go for it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Bingo. Stir the pot so that morons get elected in the Republican primaries, then in the general election, independents and normal Republicans would be enticed by the Democratic candidate. What a great Democratic tactic -- and it worked. Probably little risk, when you realize MAGA doesn't represent the average American, nor even the average Republican -- at least in the privacy of the voting booth.

Some, like hanaguma, just don't get it. That the Democratic Party tacticians realized most voters can think outside the cult-following box, was a winner. Yeah, doesn't quite pass the sniff test. Neither did Tammany Hall. But, if the end justifies the means, go for it.

Well, whether they're morons are not, the differences between them and their opponents in the primary are mostly cosmetic. In actuality, the Republican party has become a party of extremists. For years they invoked conspiracy theories to debunk human caused climate change. Lots still do. And look at the situation with Covid. The higher the support for Trump, the higher the death rate. A party that no longer has much  use for science or expertise.

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

My money is on Trump not getting the memo and announcing his presidential run today. His chances of winning will not factor into the equation.

Trump uses his mathematical prowess to calculate that he can't be president again unless he runs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1