Extension of stay to visit Thai Child?

Hi guys,

I am currently on a 1 year Non-O Thai child dependent visa, but <deleted> it up to remember the requirement with 400k THB in bank account 2 months before extension and my visa is over next month.

So now I am in the situation of the possibility of paying an unholy amount of money for an "agent" to make the IO overlook this missing requirement to extend my visa for another year, which I highly dislike.

Which are my other options?

Can I apply for a 60 day extension to visit Thai Child? Or is this just possible if I am on visa-exempt/tourist visa?

Should I do a border run to get a new 45 day visa-exempt-stamp, then extend this another 30 days and then apply for the 60 day extension to visit Thai Child?

Really do not wanna throw money into the mouths of agents and IOs, so any advice is appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

As far as I know the money has to be in the bank on the day you apply.

Not 2 months before.

That is what the immigration order has in it but there are offices that want the 400k baht to be in the bank for 2 months.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your child it you  have not gotten one since your last entry to the country with a new visa.

You can apply for the extension with any type of entry.

I guess that means "if you haven't gotten one", or?

Which documents I need for that and can I apply in any immigration office?

5 minutes ago, FarAway said:

I guess that means "if you haven't gotten one", or?

I left out the not that is now fixed.

6 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Which documents I need for that and can I apply in any immigration office?

Your child will need to be with you when you apply.

A completed TM7 form will be needed. Copies of your passport photo page, visa, extension stamp, most recent entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

Copy your child's birth certificate, house book registry and ID card if they have one.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I am almost in the same situation. My Guardian Visa from BKK Imm was rejected at Nonthaburi this year at the time of renewal. A line in the Divorce Agreement stated "allowing the mother to exercise parental power". Needless to say, my Ex and I initiated a court case but we won't get a judgment until June. Until they get the judge's stamp, Nonthaburi will not approve the visa extension, and my visa is almost expired.

I thought as the parent of a Thai you qualify for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa that gives permission to stay for 90 days per entry, then an option to extend a further 60 days (for a total of 5 months) before having to leave and do over again if needed. My plan was to cross land border at Savannakhet or Laos and apply for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visiting family visa (not the actual name) and hopefully the first entry is enough time for me to get the judgment I need from the court.

Does anyone know if that is still (or ever was) correct? Wouldn't the OP also be able to leave and re-enter with the same visa?

4 hours ago, TiltedTables said:

I am almost in the same situation. My Guardian Visa from BKK Imm was rejected at Nonthaburi this year at the time of renewal. A line in the Divorce Agreement stated "allowing the mother to exercise parental power". Needless to say, my Ex and I initiated a court case but we won't get a judgment until June. Until they get the judge's stamp, Nonthaburi will not approve the visa extension, and my visa is almost expired.

I thought as the parent of a Thai you qualify for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa that gives permission to stay for 90 days per entry, then an option to extend a further 60 days (for a total of 5 months) before having to leave and do over again if needed. My plan was to cross land border at Savannakhet or Laos and apply for a Non-Immigrant 'O' visiting family visa (not the actual name) and hopefully the first entry is enough time for me to get the judgment I need from the court.

Does anyone know if that is still (or ever was) correct? Wouldn't the OP also be able to leave and re-enter with the same visa?

In principle, you should be able to get a single entry Non O visa in Savannakhet to visit your Thai child. I am unsure of the documents they require. If they need anything from the child's mother, are you able to provide that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the replies guys,

My current 1-year extension to stay to care for my child expires next week. Nonthaburi will not renew until the Judge rules that I have parental power, but that won't be until June (hopefully). Last year I lived in BKK, and Chaengwattana overlooked the supposed 'lack of parental power' when I applied for it.

I thought the signed court documents would be enough for them to provide an extension until the court date but they told me my only option is to leave the country and come back on a new visa. That is why I have to return only as a visitor to my thai child, even though he still lives with me and I take him to school, etc.

The O-type Family visa is not ideal, but three months should give me enough time to attend the court hearing and hopefully switch back to a Guardian visa. The mother is willing to help with any documents I need. You mention Savannakhet, do you think they can do the same in Vientiane or Poipet?

Edited by TiltedTables

6 minutes ago, TiltedTables said:

Last year I lived in BKK, and Chaengwattana overlooked the supposed 'lack of parental power' when I applied for it.

Bit left field ....did you consider doing a TM30 change of address in order to use CW instead of Nonthaburi. 

5 hours ago, TiltedTables said:

You mention Savannakhet, do you think they can do the same in Vientiane or Poipet?

Definitely not in Poipet. There is no Thai consulate there. In Vientiane, if you can get an appointment, it should be possible. I mention Savannakhet just because you can apply there without an appointment, and there are probably other members here who can tell you the document requirements there.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit left field ....did you consider doing a TM30 change of address in order to use CW instead of Nonthaburi. 

Yes, thanks I did. I considered getting a temp address in BKK, so I can switch IMM centers but for Guardian Visa, you need to show pictures of us in the new apt and get the owners info etc - alot of work and no guarantee that they won't overlook the 'Parental Power' line in the Divorce Agreement this time. His tabiaan baan is for my home in nonthaburi and his school close to us - so thought it wasn't going to look legit that I'm a proper Bangkokian.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Definitely not in Poipet. There is no Thai consulate there. In Vientiane, if you can get an appointment, it should be possible. I mention Savannakhet just because you can apply there without an appointment, and there are probably other members here who can tell you the document requirements there.

Good to know, thanks again. I think I will try there. From what I can see, the documents generally required for the Non-Immigrant O Family Visa are below, if anyone knows anything different about that Savannakhet Consulate, I'd really appreciate your info.

Required Document: 

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months. One 4 x 6cm picture
3. Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party). Proof of financial means (10,000 baht per person/20,000 baht per family)
4. Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand.

Parent of a Thai national

Birth Certificate
A copy of a ID card of a Thai child
Details of accommodation in Thailand: Proof of Hotel or private accommodation booking.
Travel Booking confirmation - Round-trip air ticket or e-ticket (paid in full)

Visa application form (filled out)

Edited by TiltedTables

Just an update in case someone else in the same situation finds it helpful:

The Thai Family Visa was rejected at Savannakhet today as well. He instead gave me a 30-day tourist visa. He asked for my divorced wife ID card and then for her tabiaan baan - I had only ID card but said I'm divorced and don't need to carry all the records my ex-wife acquired since birth. He then asked for divorce certificate and agreement and then took issue with the same Parental Power line that the officers in Nonthaburi did which stated that my wife has exclusive parental power. 

I reminded him that I'm now a mere visitor - and that visiting thai family doesn't require me to have guardianship (or if I'm wrong, it isn't stated anywhere that I could see). I thought I only had to show his original birth certificate with my name on it, and all the other docs showing his tabiaan baan at my home with me. He told me to take it up with Immigration when I get back.

Not feeling very confident about that since being downgraded from Guardian ->Visitor ->Tourist. A 30 day tourist visa won't help me stick around to attend my court date in June for the judge to resolve the troublesome Parental Power problem. At this rate, I'll be allowed one more tourist visa before I have to sell my son to the gypsies and swim to Kamchatka.

I'll update if the situation improves later. Doubt this applies to many people anyways, but hope this is able to help somebody. 

1 hour ago, TiltedTables said:

A 30 day tourist visa won't help me stick around to attend my court date in June

Are you sure it's a 30 day visa?

Single entry tourist visas are generally 60 days, and can be extended for an additional 30. Which should get you to June.

Thanks JayClay.  The agent told me 30, but when I picked it up its actually for 60 days (until June 17th). As long as my court date doesn't get pushed out should be ok. Not sure I should listen to the officer who told me to go to Immigration if I wanted the 90 day Visit Thai Child Visa. Tempted to do it to see their reasoning for rejecting a visit Thai family request based on not having parental power.