Winter COVID Wave to End in February

webfact

image.jpeg

by Paul Rujopakarn

BANGKOK (NNT) - Health authorities have been reporting an increase in new COVID-19 cases, in what they describe as an expected small wave. Thailand’s top virologist said the latest wave is expected to last until February 2023.

The number of new COVID cases in Thailand has been seeing a steady climb, although the disease is no longer categorized by health authorities as a dangerous communicable disease.

According to official reports, COVID hospitalizations during the week of November 6th-12th numbered 3,166, or 452 daily cases on average. This was higher than the previous week’s 2,759 cases.

The number of COVID fatalities for the previous week stood at 42 cases, averaging six per day.

Dr Yong Poovorawan, Head of the Center of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, said in a Facebook post that the rise in cases is to be expected as COVID becomes endemic and seasonal.

The severity of the disease is considerably lower due to Thailand having mostly achieved herd immunity as a result of vaccinations and natural infections. According to Dr Yong, treatment options have also significantly improved, with effective drugs such as Molnupiravir, Paxlovid and Remdesivir now widely available.

On the subject of vaccination, Dr Yong recommends that all Thais receive at least three COVID vaccine doses, regardless of brand. Those who received their last jab over six months ago should meanwhile get an additional booster dose, as the immunity wanes with time.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG221116101714534

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-11-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Health authorities have been reporting an increase in new COVID-19 cases, in what they describe as an expected small wave. Thailand’s top virologist said the latest wave is expected to last until February 2023.

The increase is possibly linked to the increase in tourists, every year there is normally an increase in colds & flu and ends when the tourists leave - not rocket science ..LOL

Thailand seems to be reluctant to get to grips with this virus, even though new ways of managing it are coming through and being passed into law.

In Scotland, for example, they have a new law called the Coronavirus (Recovery and Reform) (Scotland) Act 2022, which states clearly that "The Scottish Ministers may make arrangements for the vaccination or immunisation of persons against any disease."

Other legal restrictions and requirements include that, at the discretion of the Scottish government, citizens:

(a) submit to medical examination,
(b) be removed to a hospital or other suitable establishment,
(c) be detained in a hospital or other suitable establishment,
(d) be kept in quarantine (within the meaning of section 51(4)),
(e) be disinfected or decontaminated,
(f) wear protective clothing,
(g) provide information or answer questions about the person's health or other circumstances,
(h) have the person's health monitored and the results reported,
(i) attend training or advice sessions on how to reduce the risk of infecting or contaminating others,
(j) be subject to restrictions as to where the person may go or with whom the person has contact,
(k) abstain from working or trading.

That should make the Scottish people feel more secure in their lives, once they have been decontaminated and detained in a suitable establishment.

Perhaps Thailand would like to try this approach.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Yong recommends that all Thais receive at least three COVID vaccine doses, regardless of brand. Those who received their last jab over six months ago should meanwhile get an additional booster dose, as the immunity wanes with time.

If you were jabbed early on then in theory you should be on your 6 jab by now? If you are to be considered fully vaccinated.

Does it stop or do we just carry on getting the booster every 6 months from now on?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Thailand seems to be reluctant to get to grips with this virus, even though new ways of managing it are coming through and being passed into law.

In Scotland, for example, they have a new law called the Coronavirus (Recovery and Reform) (Scotland) Act 2022, which states clearly that "The Scottish Ministers may make arrangements for the vaccination or immunisation of persons against any disease."

Other legal restrictions and requirements include that, at the discretion of the Scottish government, citizens:

(g) provide information or answer questions about the person's health or other circumstances,
(i) attend training or advice sessions on how to reduce the risk of infecting or contaminating others,
(j) be subject to restrictions as to where the person may go or with whom the person has contact,

That should make the Scottish people feel more secure in their lives, once they have been decontaminated and detained in a suitable establishment.

sounds like police state to me... dictatorship out of control

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, honcho said:

sounds like police state to me... dictatorship out of control

I wonder if they used those words "removed" and "disinfected" deliberately. They were euphemisms which were very popular in Europe in the 1940s ("Welcome to Auschwitz. Hope you had a nice train ride. Now, if you'll just go into that large chamber over there, we'll make sure you are 'disinfected'.").

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Health authorities have been reporting an increase in new COVID-19 cases, in what they describe as an expected small wave. Thailand’s top virologist said the latest wave is expected to last until February 2023.

Such foresight.

14 hours ago, ed strong said:

If you were jabbed early on then in theory you should be on your 6 jab by now? If you are to be considered fully vaccinated.

Does it stop or do we just carry on getting the booster every 6 months from now on?

A never ending, money making saga, for the pharmaceutical industries.

• Thumbs Up 2

According to @Sherylpaxlovid is not available in thailand anymore. 

There were only 50k courses of it around April, so long gone within weeks. There were too costly, at 10k per patient. 

Dr yon peddling porkies state propaganda once again how well thailand is prepared. 
Why state media are compelled to regurgitate his facebook posts so often?

16 hours ago, garrya said:

I wish one day COVID was isolated as any other pathogens.

That day may never come though. 

The one and only pathogen in the history of mankind that is only "detected" by the very reliable PCR tests ???? 

Have a nice day!

Whose inventor Kary Mullis stated that running the test at above >7 cycles was 'meaningless'.

17 hours ago, ed strong said:

Mute argument, Thailand isn't importing the new vaccines and the ones available are expired or expiring soon.

The only choices will be the ones produced by Thailand based on the initial virus and not peer reviewed. 

Whether you are against or for vaccines doesn't really matter.

The government GPO calls the shots for public and private hospitals alike when it comes aquiring  COVID-19 vaccines. 

Edited by MrJ2U

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not "no longer". It was never available here. You are confusing it wth something else.

I m deeply confused:

that article from just before songran

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/pfizer-covid-19-antiviral-finally-arrives-in-thailand/

that one just after songran

"BMA hospitals will use Paxlovid to treat Covid-19 patients"

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40014766

but for me it's mai pen rai.

I have my colchicine, ivermectine, disulfiram at hand. They are extremely cheap and readily available in each pharmacy. 

Edited by internationalism

19 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

"Arrangements" to get vaccinated. So forced vaccination. I am unvaccinated for SARS-CoV-2. Sure I've been exposed but never infected. Helps to have  a BMI = 21.5, exercise, healthy lifestyle, so on. Perhaps 'arrangements'should be made to control obesity, smoking that lead to the comorbidities: diabetes, hypertension, kidney disease. And you know what you can do with your - perhaps Thailand should try this approach 

On 11/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, garrya said:

I wish one day COVID was isolated as any other pathogens.

That day may never come though. 

The one and only pathogen in the history of mankind that is only "detected" by the very reliable PCR tests ???? 

Have a nice day!

That's a lie and you know it.

Just two days ago, in another thread, somebody took the efort to detailed explain it.

https://aseannow.com/profile/26070-partington/content/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

I am not wasting my time on you.

Edited by Lorry

11 hours ago, internationalism said:

I m deeply confused:

that article from just before songran

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/pfizer-covid-19-antiviral-finally-arrives-in-thailand/

that one just after songran

"BMA hospitals will use Paxlovid to treat Covid-19 patients"

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40014766

but for me it's mai pen rai.

I have my colchicine, ivermectine, disulfiram at hand. They are extremely cheap and readily available in each pharmacy. 

I was confused,  too.

In April  there was a hype in the media, the Thai goverment would buy Paxlovid. And after this, quiet.  No reports of anybody who actually got it.

AFAIK it really never was available in Thailand.  Definitely not for the general public. 

On 11/17/2022 at 3:02 AM, MrJ2U said:

Mute argument, Thailand isn't importing the new vaccines and the ones available are expired or expiring soon.

The only choices will be the ones produced by Thailand based on the initial virus and not peer reviewed. 

Whether you are against or for vaccines doesn't really matter.

The government GPO calls the shots for public and private hospitals alike when it comes aquiring  COVID-19 vaccines. 

Ive not asked where Thailand is getting their vaccines from, perhaps you replied to the wrong post, or misread it?

• Thumbs Up 1