Renewal of pink ID card - documents required

1 hour ago, tandor said:

My Pink Alien ID Card issued in 2020, is a 'Lifetime Card'.

Do I now presume this differs from one Province to another?

1 hour ago, vukovar77 said:

My Pink Alien ID issued in 2021 is "Lifetime Card" as well.

You don't have a date on the bottom center?

My ID 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

On the back does it say cannot move more than ? kilometres away from place of issue?

Yes. But no one takes that serious.

Originally the pink card was meant for migrant laborers from Myanmar or the like for which they really intented to lock them in a narrow area (district?).

Then they decided to give ID cards to other foreigners.

But instead of something proper (like South Korea) they just reused this pink card which does not even show your name spelled in Latin script like in the passport.

Quite inconvenient.

Edited by KhunBENQ

31 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes. But no one takes that serious.

Originally the pink card was meant for migrant laborers from Myanmar or the like for which they really intented to lock them in a narrow area (district?).

Then they decided to give ID cards to other foreigners.

But instead of something proper (like South Korea) they just reused this pink card which does not even show your name spelled in Latin script like in the passport.

Quite inconvenient.

Sure, I'm well aware of that.

Others have mentioned that location/travel restriction is not mentioned on the back of their card. As I mentioned the Snr Imm. officer mentioned it will, at some time be redesigned.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

On the back does it say cannot move more than ? kilometres away from place of issue?

It says cannot travel "UNLESS" YOU HAVE TRAVEL DOCUMENTS". 

Any western expats have travel documents, ie: a passport, Burmese condo builders and stateless people often dont have a passport, or the conditions of their stay/employment involves travel restrictions.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It says cannot travel "UNLESS" YOU HAVE TRAVEL DOCUMENTS". 

Any western expats have travel documents, ie: a passport, Burmese condo builders and stateless people often dont have a passport, or the conditions of their stay/employment involves travel restrictions.

My card was isued many years ago.

Obviously there's been changes to the words on the back. Mine doesn't mention travel documents, just says 'cannot be more than XX kilometers away from the place the card was issued'.

Hopefully, one day there will be a better totally open wording on the back. I guess the front will always 99% mirror the ID card for Thai citizens.

And for PR holders hopefully one day there will be a card, on the front basically same format as for Thais but with the letters PR also on the card. This was mentioned several years ago by I guess the Interior Ministry.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I bet you were 60 years or older when you got the card in 2020.

That's a general rule for ID cards (Thai and "pink").

I was 59 when I got it ????

Will expire in four years and then get lifelong.

yes KB is was well and truly 60...that explains it..thank you.

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

the translation is contradictory...says "Holder cannot leave the issuing area unless it is an Alien ID card".  (Which it is because it says so on the front) "ID Card for people without Thai nationality".

No grazing buffalo string length mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, ubonjoe said:

I would assume just your ID card. That is all that Thais need to renew their ID cards.

And perhaps the house book you are registered or a copy of it.

I renewed my pink ID card today and they wanted to see my passport, residence book, alien book and tabien baan. My wife went with me and they wanted a signed copy of her ID as well. Luckily, I had brought everything along and my new card was issued in 15mins. Expires in 10 years’ time because I’m not over 60.!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:09 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Quite inconvenient.

I guess that means it is not a real national ID, i.e you couldn't use it to board a domestic plane, and definitely not use it abroad. 

Edited by Neeranam

On 11/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, tandor said:

the translation is contradictory...says "Holder cannot leave the issuing area unless it is an Alien ID card".  (Which it is because it says so on the front) "ID Card for people without Thai nationality".

No grazing buffalo string length mentioned.

It used to say "can't leave the issuing province without written permission". 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

I renewed my pink ID card today and they wanted to see my passport, residence book, alien book and tabien baan. My wife went with me and they wanted a signed copy of her ID as well. Luckily, I had brought everything along and my new card was issued in 15mins. Expires in 10 years’ time because I’m not over 60.!

That makes sense, the pink ID is not a real ID, otherwise you wouldn't need to show your passport.  

Did you need to renew your yellow housebook, the one many foreigners call 'tabien bahn'?

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I guess that means it is not a real national ID, i.e you couldn't use it to board a domestic plane, and definitely not use it abroad. 

That is correct,recently i tried to book a domestic flight with my card.

Thai smile said they needed my name in english which the card is in Thai.

Long story short rather than walk back to car to get passport i wrote my name down on paper in english and they issued ticket but i had to show passport to get on the plane.

Mine is renewal type of card as under 60.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neeranam said:

That makes sense, the pink ID is not a real ID, otherwise you wouldn't need to show your passport.  

Did you need to renew your yellow housebook, the one many foreigners call 'tabien bahn'?

Because I have PR, my name is in a blue housebook (tabien bahn).

• Like 1