Thailand to launch new medical treatment visa on Jan 1

2 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

I think this approach is much too early. A few years ago the doctors were not able to deal with my sinusitis during 3 months. Back home the doctor gave me the right antibiotic, and the sinusitis was gone in 3 days.

Thai doctors would say that your provider is an idiot.

Edited by Boomer6969

Purely on a cost basis, I would prefer the existing method of medical tourism:

"Currently, foreigners visiting Thailand for the purpose of medical treatment apply for a tourist or non-immigrant visa, which allows only a single entry into the country."

• Thanks 1

I’ve found the medical services in Thailand pretty good but they don’t like delivering bad news. So it might be that you’re going to have to ask a lot of questions to get it out of them. The care is good but communication of bad news is poor. 
My experience at least. 
Dental very good. 

4 hours ago, AloisAmrein said:

I think this approach is much too early. A few years ago the doctors were not able to deal with my sinusitis during 3 months. Back home the doctor gave me the right antibiotic, and the sinusitis was gone in 3 days.

For some reasons, I am not surprised one bit.

(Recognised by who? vastly over prescribing medicines, including antibiotics for almost anything, dismal paliative care at end of life and generally poor communicating skills with patients are not world class at all. While I have found dentists here to be mostly world class a lot of the hospital services are not, at least in my experience.)

@ Proton

Thailand's healthcare system ranked among best in the world - Thailand News - Thailand News, Travel & Forum - ASEAN NOW

I won't argue about private hospitals here over-prescribing meds and services to the unwary.

I have found almost all Thai doctors speak English and I have no problems discussing my medical issues with them. Most locals and some foreigners treat doctors with awe, I don't, and will agree or disagree with them if I feel they are going against my best interests.

Edited by Old Croc

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the medical and dental care here. Perhaps you didn't see the right doctor.

"A few years ago the doctors were not able to deal with my sinusitis..........."

Last time I was at school, the letter "s" at the end of a word meant plural - yes?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong or 'different' with the docs here vs say USA.   They saved my life last month, having a medical oops, and quick-ish, competent action prolonged the inevitable.  This at a small gov't (PKK)  hospital, nurses stabilized me, then transferred to a larger gov't (Hua Hin) hospital for the life-saving procedure.

I've had back surgery in the USA by excellent staff, along with not letting one doc touch me, as research showed he was unsuccessful in almost all his surgeries.

There are good and bad docs / professionals in all fields.  Better research if elective, better luck, if an emergency, such as mine.  Private vs govt hosp, and I have to say I've had better care at govt/university hospitals, than overprice private hospitals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Without some specific details this seems like just another Thai bashing post. 

Did you consult with an Otorhinolaryngologist in a first-class hospital or just a general doctor in a private surgery?

Thailand is generally recognized as having world class medical facilities and doctors, albeit at a price.

"Otorhinolaryngologist" That sounds like the surname of one of these Thai policemen with the fancy ranks.

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

"Otorhinolaryngologist" That sounds like the surname of one of these Thai policemen with the fancy ranks.

First time I saw it on the door of a clinic at a Bangkok Hospital I did a double take and had to check what it was.

It's a bit like my kidney doctors calling themselves Nephrologists which is apparently derived from a Greek word for the organ.

• Haha 2

Desperate to talk up some new form of Visa.  How many are going to qualify for this, and how many of those will be rushing to Thailand for treatment.  I have nothing against Thai medicine, but who want to be in hospital in  foreign country?

Particularly with on with dubious medical malpractice laws?

At one time Thailand did very well with simple 'tourist' visas, or non-visa entry, 1 month, 2 month, 3 months, and ech easy to extend.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1