UK faces biggest fall in living standards on record

Scott

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I guess I find it strange that you accuse me of behaving badly when it was you who wrote this:

"You could try a search yourself you know!" 

Is this your idea of politesse?

As for the gilts issue, I recall it differently, if hazily. And can you give me a point- by-point recap of the other times I haven't been able to back up what I've alleged with searches. I think that's untrue.

You know what PH, it's probably better if you and I try not to debate economics, I have different expectations of debating behavior and content than the things you have demonstrated thus far. Regrettably, I'm going to put you back on my ignore list for the second time. Byee.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2009 said:

What the peasants need to understand is to buy assets.

And I don't mean just buy a home.

The reason the regular people can't get ahead is cos they just sit with cash in the bank their whole life's and never invest.

Nothing to do with "rules"

Totally true. Save, save, save at 0.01%. No future in that. Tax free returns at 8% are minimum.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

You know what PH, it's probably better if you and I try not to debate economics, I have different expectations of debating behavior and content than the things you have demonstrated thus far. Regrettably, I'm going to put you back on my ignore list for the second time. Byee.

Certainly better for you. I was perfectly civil when you supplied irrelevant information, until you came up with this:

"You could try a search yourself you know!"

32 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Might be pretty hard considering it took you almost a day to produce the figures. I just wish I had your sticktoitiveness.

Anyway, thanks for evidence that such data exists.

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Complete claptrap. Most - if not ALL - of the poor people I know in the UK are poor for a reason - wasted their money. I worked 25 years, bought my house and retired to Thailand at 50, you seriously saying I should give some of my money to some lazy, drunk, weed smoking bums ?  

couldn't agree more sir...more than enough scroungers waiting in line for freebies..

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, 2009 said:

What the peasants need to understand is to buy assets.

And I don't mean just buy a home.

The reason the regular people can't get ahead is cos they just sit with cash in the bank their whole life's and never invest.

Nothing to do with "rules"

When even rich people get scammed by "great investment opportunities" I'll pass. IMO investing is gambling for rich people.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Complete claptrap. Most - if not ALL - of the poor people I know in the UK are poor for a reason - wasted their money. I worked 25 years, bought my house and retired to Thailand at 50, you seriously saying I should give some of my money to some lazy, drunk, weed smoking bums ?  

Rubbish. Not all poor people are as you claim.

I'm poor because I was stupid enough to believe 2 women in my life that claimed to love me. Both times the money  ( and in the first case my house and my nice car ) went to them during our time together and after they revealed themselves for what they really were. I also lost a great deal to a "friend" of 30 years that took the money ( a loan ) and ran.

It's all just luck IMO. Had either of the women been what they appeared to be I'd be living a great life; same as the guys that marry a decent Thai woman.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No, I'm saying the large land owners (Crown, Aristocracy, RSPB, Nation Trust, Forestry Commission, Church, etc) should submit to redistribution, along with anyone owning more than 10M pounds in assets)

I doubt you have enough to share with anyone.

I think you will find the Crown got some sort of guarantee that they could keep the goodies if they gave up total power. Why would they give up the power if they lost the lifestyle as well?

As for the church- don't they own the land? Do you expect them to just give it away, or are you advocating state theft?

However, I'm with you on the 10 million max, and up to me would be 2 million ( except for farmers ).

23 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Well bully for you Mr Wonderful.

When you say "bought my house" that phraseology suggests that you were a sitting tenant as opposed to  "I bought a house" Council tenant maybe?

As for "I worked 25 years" wow!

Was that in the Department for How Not to be Smug?

Come on pal, you're Jacob Rees Mogg fishing for compliments now you've been kicked off the front bench.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, hidbehindthesofa said:

Hmmm . . . this could be so serious that some folks will have to start cutting back on the home deliveries of takeaway food; reduce the number of new tattoos; make their designer tracksuits and trainers last longer than the next colour on the market; forget about the daily green or brown or white; and not upgrade to the latest iPhone 27 (or whatever).

I believe it is called ''cutting your cloth according to your means''.

Hmmm....maybe it's time that the entitled non dom tax avoiders stumped up a bit to help out but hey...their useful idiot Daily Wail reading suporters still believe that we need these parasites.

NO! We need nurses, doctors, engineers, crop pickers, lorry drivers, binmen and more.

These crucial workers contribute more to the economy and well being of our country than the smug, self satisfied asset strippers who are legging it with the silverware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:19 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

People who can’t afford to pay their bills or even eat regular meals don’t have spare cash sitting around to invest in anything.

That you refer to people as peasants is explanation enough of why you don’t understand this.

You think English teachers in Thailand rake in loads of cash?

Buddy, you don't know me.

I work 2 jobs to be able to invest something.

The same people you talk about probably spend a few hundred pounds a month on cigarettes, dope, booze, and take aways.

Not to mention, their annual holiday to Spain for the whole family for two weeks that costs a few grand, lol. Come on, Higgy. ????

They can invest something.

They can work overtime.

They can get a 2nd job.

But they don't want to. Up to them.

Edited by 2009

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The same people you talk about probably spend a few hundred pounds a month on cigarettes, dope, booze, and take aways.

Not to mention, their annual holiday to Spain for the whole family for two weeks that costs a few grand,”

All baseless assumptions you need to dream up in order to make the rest of your views on the matter fit.

How are you not aware that everything I just said is really common among in the UK, and most of it in the lower classes too.

35 minutes ago, 2009 said:

How are you not aware that everything I just said is really common among in the UK, and most of it in the lower classes too.

What’s missing is your evidence that the reason why people can’t afford to pay their bills or eat regular meals is they are spending their money as you claim or not working overtime/second jobs.

You’ve simply made a gross and baseless generalization and followed that with reference to ‘lower classes’.

Meanwhile you insist I don’t know you, which is correct, I don’t.

I therefore do not make gross generalizations about English Teachers in Thailand and apply those to you.

If I did you’d be perfectly entitled to be offended and/or call me out for making baseless generalizations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve simply made a gross and baseless generalization

This is pretty much your answer to everything. Lol.

I think you are well aware that people spend money a fair bit on vices, addictions, entertainment, conveniences, and pleasure.

And surely you are aware that Brits of all classes go on annual holidays abroad (usually a week or two) which is pretty much engrained into the lifestyle.

They could be saving money (obviously) or buying assets instead, but they aren't very financially literate -- which isn't actually their fault cos schools don't teach it and families remain in the dark on that topic.

However, they all have smartphones with internet access and it's easier than ever to get information and it's also easier than ever to buy shares.

If they aren't willing to help themselves, it'll never happen. Can hardly blame anyone else.

They've got everything on a plate in the UK: good free education (even university is free in Scotland), good free healthcare, the dole, other social allowances.

There's no excuse.

On 11/26/2022 at 3:52 PM, 2009 said:

This is pretty much your answer to everything. Lol.

I think you are well aware that people spend money a fair bit on vices, addictions, entertainment, conveniences, and pleasure.

And surely you are aware that Brits of all classes go on annual holidays abroad (usually a week or two) which is pretty much engrained into the lifestyle.

They could be saving money (obviously) or buying assets instead, but they aren't very financially literate -- which isn't actually their fault cos schools don't teach it and families remain in the dark on that topic.

However, they all have smartphones with internet access and it's easier than ever to get information and it's also easier than ever to buy shares.

If they aren't willing to help themselves, it'll never happen. Can hardly blame anyone else.

They've got everything on a plate in the UK: good free education (even university is free in Scotland), good free healthcare, the dole, other social allowances.

There's no excuse.

Perhaps some would rather have a life than invest in the IMO gambling for rich people that is the stock market.

• Like 2