Twitter hit with mass resignations after Elon Musk's ‘hardcore’ ultimatum

Scott

1 minute ago, HighPriority said:

He’ll defend himself ok until the cash is gone, how else do you get away with slander like he did a couple of years ago ?

I don't think that's a likely prospect. He may end up being worth only 50 -100 billion if twitter disappears and his 56 billion baht salary evaporates. Still, I am concerned for him.

• Haha 2

More evidence to show Musk is in way over his head.

You Can’t Code Your Way Out of the Culture Problem

On Friday afternoon, we learned that Elon Musk had asked any of the Twitter employees who “actually write software” to “email [him] a bullet point summary of what your code commits have achieved in the past ~6 months, along with up to 10 screenshots of the most salient lines of code.”

As VP of technology at Slate, my first thought when I read this was “what a tremendous waste of engineering time.” Second only to “that’s a lot of bullets to read.”

https://slate.com/technology/2022/11/elon-musk-twitter-code-fixation.html

(if you get blocked by paywall, use link in Chrome's "incognito mode" or equivalent in another browser)

58 minutes ago, James105 said:

Do you not find it amazing that even though Twitter has closed its offices, laid off a lot of staff, that Twitter seems to still be working just as it was before?  Twitter is a platform that others use to create content (not it's staff), and I cannot recall seeing any significant updates or feature additions over the last few years which kind of begs the question of "what exactly are these software engineers doing with their days?",   which is the question that Musk appears to be asking and is quite a reasonable one imho.   It's not that complex an app to maintain and they (probably) have 1,500 - 2,000 developers that are probably quite well paid.   

I've no idea who slate.com are but I imagine the person who wrote that article is also stealing a living hence the reason he is jumping to the defence of fellow living stealers.     

Silly me. I'll go with what the expert says and not withsome unbacked  aspersions cast by an anonymous party on asean.com. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Do you not find it amazing that even though Twitter has closed its offices, laid off a lot of staff, that Twitter seems to still be working just as it was before?  Twitter is a platform that others use to create content (not it's staff), and I cannot recall seeing any significant updates or feature additions over the last few years which kind of begs the question of "what exactly are these software engineers doing with their days?",   which is the question that Musk appears to be asking and is quite a reasonable one imho.   It's not that complex an app to maintain and they (probably) have 1,500 - 2,000 developers that are probably quite well paid.   

I've no idea who slate.com are but I imagine the person who wrote that article is also stealing a living hence the reason he is jumping to the defence of fellow living stealers.     

Here's something from MIT Technology Review

Here’s how a Twitter engineer says it will break in the coming weeks

One insider says the company’s current staffing isn’t able to sustain the platform.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/11/08/1062886/heres-how-a-twitter-engineer-says-it-will-break-in-the-coming-weeks/

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's something from MIT Technology Review

Here’s how a Twitter engineer says it will break in the coming weeks

One insider says the company’s current staffing isn’t able to sustain the platform.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/11/08/1062886/heres-how-a-twitter-engineer-says-it-will-break-in-the-coming-weeks/

And, with every move musk makes, becoming less so.

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

A software engineer points out that the massive brain drain might lead to technical issues down the line and you go postal on his "soy latte drinking" behind!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

PS. Do you have any friends? It might help to talk about it....:coffee1:

James105's posts just provide more confirmation of Pavlov's great theory.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

It's very difficult to replace these people. It's not just a matter of hiring new software engineers, they need to be familiar with the code base and the tech stack.

Good point.  If the software is not well documented then asking someone new and without on-the-job training under a current engineer to maintain it might be asking the impossible. 

How often is this kind of system both well documented and kept up to date with every new revision?  I know that a few decades ago the answer would be not often enough.

Just now, heybruce said:

Good point.  If the software is not well documented then asking someone new and without on-the-job training under a current engineer to maintain it might be asking the impossible. 

How often is this kind of system both well documented and kept up to date with every new revision?  I know that a few decades ago the answer would be not often enough.

A company like Twitter would have very good documentation but still it would take many months for a new engineer to get up to speed. Unless they have this familiarity with he code base it would be a case of "Patch applied to fix 19 bugs, result 93 bugs".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2022 at 5:11 PM, Bluespunk said:

So musk wants to ban remote working but is shutting down access to tw*tter offices…gotta love the irony of that approach.

It's only for a while, not forever!

Hopefully this is the end for that social media platform, and even more hopefully that facethingy will follow them into oblivion.

It's interesting how some posters feel the need to derail this thread into a "lazy woke people" thread. ????

I understand, It's not like these "woke" people would have been at the origin of, and responsible for the success of Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Airbnb, Oracle, Sun, the numerous Silicon Valley companies, etc..????

Edited by candide
  • Like 1