Elon Musk restores Donald Trump’s Twitter account

Scott

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

51.8% out of 15m according to a survey.

7.77m. 10% margin of error gives at least 7m Trump fans.

Couldn't one die-hard Trump fan open over 7 million accounts and use all of them to vote pro-Trump?  Isn't that possible on Twitter?

There are numerous safeguards preventing a stolen election in the US.  Safeguards that Trump and his base don't want to acknowledge.  What are the safeguards against a fraudulent Twitter vote?

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Given a choice between Twitter news that can be posted by anyone and is not fact checked, and waiting a few hours, or even a day, for news from an established news organization that has a business interest in being credible, I'll wait for the quality stuff.

There are plenty of people posting on Thai news topics on Twitter that are perfectly reliable. Some are current and ex correspondents for major international new agencies. Too, there is simply a much larger base of people posting to Thai news on Twitter. And I think it's a good thing to have hundreds of contributors, instead of the same 10 to 12 you get on Aseannow. The one exception on AN is the Immigration/Visa forum, which is unmatched anywhere for information about Thai visas. It's also the one forum where many different people post, instead of the same 10 to 12 on all the others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

There are plenty of people posting on Thai news topics on Twitter that are perfectly reliable. Some are current and ex correspondents for major international new agencies. Too, there is simply a much larger base of people posting to Thai news on Twitter. And I think it's a good thing to have hundreds of contributors, instead of the same 10 to 12 you get on Aseannow. The one exception on AN is the Immigration/Visa forum, which is unmatched anywhere for information about Thai visas. It's also the one forum where many different people post, instead of the same 10 to 12 on all the others.

I can see the advantage of using Twitter to get detailed news in any country that lacks a free press, such as Thailand.  However for countries that have a free press, and for world news, I'll stick with reputable news organizations.

3 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Couldn't one die-hard Trump fan open over 7 million accounts and use all of them to vote pro-Trump?  Isn't that possible on Twitter?

There are numerous safeguards preventing a stolen election in the US.  Safeguards that Trump and his base don't want to acknowledge.  What are the safeguards against a fraudulent Twitter vote?

7m accounts yeah only take 2 years to open them 555

You Trump haters and your theories

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Trump supporteres could have fraudulently mailed their votes in ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, James105 said:

This seems to be upsetting all the right people... lovely.   If Trump being on Twitter upsets you then remember it is your choice whether or not to follow him and read his posts (if he actually posts anything again), and you are free to block him if that makes you feel better.   You are equally free to not use Twitter at all and receive all your news from your safe spaces (CNN, Guardian, Morning Star etc).

Ricky Gervais made an educational video for all those who are concerned that they might read something they don't like on Twitter:

And as I'm sure Gervais would endorse, it's anybody's right not use Twitter. The thing is, Twitter gets 90% of its income from advertisers. So if people refuse to view Twitter, or refuse to buy products that advertise on its site, advertisers might not be so happy. Do you believe that advertiser should be compelled to advertise on Twitter?

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Probably none, but a Twitter vote has no value anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And as I'm sure Gervais would endorse, it's anybody's right not use Twitter. The thing is, Twitter gets 90% of its income from advertisers. So if people refuse to view Twitter, or refuse to buy products that advertise on its site, advertisers might not be so happy. Do you believe that advertiser should be compelled to advertise on Twitter?

Why on earth would I believe that advertisers should be compelled to do anything?   Where did you get that from in what I posted?  You may believe that every corporation has the same world view as yourself, but they really don't.   Their goal is to make money.   If advertising on Twitter helps them do that then they will continue to use it.   They didn't mind advertising on Twitter knowing that the Taliban accounts were never suspended so why would they care if Trump is back on it?

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

Why on earth would I believe that advertisers should be compelled to do anything?   Where did you get that from in what I posted?  You may believe that every corporation has the same world view as yourself, but they really don't.   Their goal is to make money.   If advertising on Twitter helps them do that then they will continue to use it.   They didn't mind advertising on Twitter knowing that the Taliban accounts were never suspended so why would they care if Trump is back on it?

This only confirms that wherever you get your news from lies somewhere in an alternative universe. Try using this phrase to do a search  advertisers pause on twitter

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, James105 said:

Elon Musk says Twitter has had ‘massive’ revenue drop as advertisers pause spending

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/04/elon-musk-says-twitter-has-had-massive-revenue-drop.html

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

From the linked article:

NAACP President Derrick Johnson

“If Elon Musk continues to run Twitter like this, using garbage polls that do not represent the American people and the needs of our democracy, God help us all.”

Confusing , he rubbishes a democratic  poll where 15 million people voted and thinks the results should be ignored , then he goes about about democracy !!!!!!

Does he agree with democracy or not ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Confusing , he rubbishes a democratic  poll where 15 million people voted and thinks the results should be ignored , then he goes about about democracy !!!!!!

You need to read the whole thread, it was not 15 million people and it was not a democratic poll that represented the American people.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Democracy is only democracy when its his side winning. Biden said so.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

This only confirms that wherever you get your news from lies somewhere in an alternative universe. Try using this phrase to do a search  advertisers pause on twitter

The thing is, I really, really do not care if Twitter makes money or not.   I do not own shares in it.   Since you are so concerned about Twitters loss of advertising revenue I presume that you must own some of their stock as I really cannot think of any other reason why you would care.   If you do have Twitter shares then don't worry too much, Elon Musk has quite a good track record of running businesses so I'm sure you will recoup your losses in time - you will just need to be patient.   

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If you're referring to that so-called poll on twitter, I suggest you look at the Scientific American article recommended by Sparktrader. What's crucial in polling is that there is random selection. Participants in that "poll" were not selected randomly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You need to read the whole thread, it was not 15 million people and it was not a democratic poll that represented the American people.

In the thread O.P it stated that 15 million people voted and the majority of voters wanted Trump to be able to Tweet , the poll was for Twitter users World wide and not just for Americans and nothing to do with democracy in the USA 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You clearly don't know how bots operate. Calling this a democratic vote? Time for you to check what democracy means.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James105 said:

The thing is, I really, really do not care if Twitter makes money or not.   I do not own shares in it.   Since you are so concerned about Twitters loss of advertising revenue I presume that you must own some of their stock as I really cannot think of any other reason why you would care.   If you do have Twitter shares then don't worry too much, Elon Musk has quite a good track record of running businesses so I'm sure you will recoup your losses in time - you will just need to be patient.   

The thing is that you confuse Twitter with a venue that doesn't depend on advertising. So criticizing Twitter as it was for its speech policies means that you don't understand that it's a business. And Musk has been successful in business that don't require a great deal of tact.  A Social Media venture like Twitter isn't one of them.

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If you're referring to that so-called poll on twitter, I suggest you look at the Scientific American article recommended by Sparktrader. What's crucial in polling is that there is random selection. Participants in that "poll" were not selected randomly. 

How were people in this poll selected ?

Wasn't it an open poll where anyone can vote ?

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In the thread O.P it stated that 15 million people voted and the majority of voters wanted Trump to be able to Tweet , the poll was for Twitter users World wide and not just for Americans and nothing to do with democracy in the USA 

His post:

“If Elon Musk continues to run Twitter like this, using garbage polls that do not represent the American people and the needs of our democracy, God help us all.”

He is correct

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

How were people in this poll selected ?

Wasn't it an open poll where anyone can vote ?

Precisely. They selected themselves. Do you really believe that a poll where people can elect to participate is a valid one? Gee, if that were the case, pollsters could save themselves a lot of money by just putting polls online and opening them to anyone. I imagine your reply will be that that's a good idea. Yet oddly enought, I don't know of any pollsters who do that? Do you wonder at all why that's the case? Do you think it's some kind of conspiracy? That pollsters don't want the rest of the world to know how simple it is?

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Even if there were zero bots, it wouldn't matter. Valid polls require random selection. Without that, a "poll" is just a gimmick.

I was referring to his '15 million votes, maybe 1 million bot votes so 14 million people votes'.

Yes, totally nonsense vote 

• Like 1