Elon Musk restores Donald Trump’s Twitter account

Scott

Just now, placeholder said:

But they are constructed to reflect the general population within a margin of error. If polling was as simple as you think it is, then pollsters could just invite people to register their opinion. You take no account of motivation. And as noted above, you also take no account of bots.

But they are massively flawed as the last 8 years has demonstrated.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Did you even read the first paragraph?

"How is it that a survey of only 1,000 people can reach this level of accuracy? You must first assume that the survey respondents have been sampled at random from the population, meaning that people are selected one at a time, with all persons in the U.S. being equally likely to be picked at each point. For most polls, this is approximated by calling phone numbers generated randomly by computer."

In other words, self selected participants are not selected randomly. If they, as pointed out above, all pollsters would have to do is do online polling with no filters. To most people with even a rudimentary understanding of probability, that obviously doesn't work.

Just now, placeholder said:

Did you even read the first paragraph?

"How is it that a survey of only 1,000 people can reach this level of accuracy? You must first assume that the survey respondents have been sampled at random from the population, meaning that people are selected one at a time, with all persons in the U.S. being equally likely to be picked at each point. For most polls, this is approximated by calling phone numbers generated randomly by computer."

In other words, self selected participants are not selected randomly. If they, as pointed out above, all pollsters would have to do is do online polling with no filters. To most people with even a rudimentary understanding of probability, that obviously doesn't work.

Read the whole article. It explains why they are flawed.

For posting facts? See that's why nobody likes wokes. You get proven wrong and cant handle it. 

Very childish to whinge when proven wrong.

If when you say woke you mean "aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)", perhaps you could post some proof of your claim?

Woke Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Not that I like Trump. Not at all. But where is the problem?! In a democracy everyone can decide which tweets he wants to read. Derrick Johnson has a very strange understanding of democracy...

Try doing that in Thailand 

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was just Musk himself who was concerned about bots on Twitter

Texas AG launches investigation against Twitter for allegedly misreporting fake bot accounts

The issue of Twitter bots has come to the fore in recent days after Tesla CEO Elon Musk accused the social media giant of "actively resisting and thwarting" his information rights by failing to provide calculations supporting the social media platform’s internal estimate on spam and fake accounts. 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/texas-ag-investigation-twitter-fake-bot-accounts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

The world is probably anesthetized to Trump's tweets, except for his following of knuckle-draggers.

Is that an example of hate speech ?

Calling a group of people "knuckle draggers" ?

Equating people to monkeys that have long arms and their arms reach the floor ?

Should Trump be allowed to label a bunch of people as "Knuckle draggers" on Twitter or should that be considered as hate speech ?

Twitter is a lot like Youtube- negative gets eyeballs. Look at Youtube clips that are entitled "........devastated" or ".... destroyed" or "..... apocalypse"- they get views.   "Nice Day in Udon Thani" gets tumbleweeds.

Trump on Twitter will drive content.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  And if you don't like Twitter, just build your own social media platform for snowflakes only.  I would suggest a name like "Wokefest" or "Whine and Cheese".

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Twitter is a lot like Youtube- negative gets eyeballs. Look at Youtube clips that are entitled "........devastated" or ".... destroyed" or "..... apocalypse"- they get views.   "Nice Day in Udon Thani" gets tumbleweeds.

Trump on Twitter will drive content.  If you don't like it, don't read it.  And if you don't like Twitter, just build your own social media platform for snowflakes only.  I would suggest a name like "Wokefest" or "Whine and Cheese".

And if you believe what's allowed on it is going to hurt your brand, don't advertise on it. Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that Twitter is a business?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised that no has as yet noted what makes this all very comical. Just a short while ago, the question about Trump was whether he would jump ship from his financially failing Truth Social to go to Twitter. Now there's an excellent chance that Truth Social will outlive Twitter.

Not sure if this was posted but Trump will not be playing on Twitter it appears....

Trump Cites Twitter ‘Problems,’ Says He’ll Stick to Own Platform (msn.com)

Trump Cites Twitter ‘Problems,’ Says He’ll Stick to Own Platform

(Bloomberg) -- Donald Trump said he sees “a lot of problems at Twitter” and will stick to his own social-media platform, offering an initial response to Elon Musk’s poll on whether to reinstate the former president’s account.

image.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not sure if this was posted but Trump will not be playing on Twitter it appears....

(Bloomberg) -- Donald Trump said he sees “a lot of problems at Twitter” and will stick to his own social-media platform, offering an initial response to Elon Musk’s poll on whether to reinstate the former president’s account.

image.png

In this case not deserting a sinking ship but rather not boarding it. Rarely, Trump makes sense. This is one of those times.

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think you underestimate the disdain, almost boredom,  people across different political persuasions have for Trump and his lies - the election showed that. There can be a new Twitter. His treatment of staff won't sit well with many - including the staff. Clearly that $8 blue tick was  a ridiculous farce. Sometimes all publicity is not good publicity.

There are many people who like and support Tump , but they keep it quiet on social media and on other internet forums , because when they mention they like Trump, they receive lots of abuse and hate from the "tolerant" left 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

image.png

He'll have to reach more people to get elected. So he has no choice but to start using Twitter again.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

image.png

One of the problems for him on twitter is that posts still get flagged with fact checks........lol Lets see if Musk keeps that going?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO it doesn't really matter, with his actions since buying Twitter it looks like Musk is going to consign it to oblivion anyway. Staff are deserting in droves, probably advertisers will too.

Twitter is just fine. It's the best source for breaking news there is. That includes Thai news, which is faster more thorough and detailed than anything you get, for example, on Aseannow. Even if a story makes it to AN, it's usually hours after the event, sometimes days. I know that I look for both local Thai news and international news on Twitter first. Most of my focus and interest has migrated there. Elon Musk is now running Twitter with 50 people doing the job 7500 were doing before. There's a billion dollars right there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/john-cleese-gb-news-103857239.html

Sums up the woke world

"The BBC have not come to me and said: ‘Would you like to have some one-hour shows?’

“And if they did, I would say: ‘Not on your nelly!’ Because I wouldn’t get five minutes into the first show before I’d been cancelled or censored.”

Totally agree with what he said. I rewatched the whole Blackadder show recently and I was thinking myself that this wouldn't have lasted one or two shows today. Actually it wouldn't even get an approval. 

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Twitter is on the tip of everyone's tongue. It's made newspaper headlines for months. This seems like the best and smartest PR campaign ever. Musk has outplayed his critics it would appear.

Wonder how much the $8 blue tick has netted him? Advertizers will be back in no time, they can't afford to quit ads on an effective media to go on megalodon where a dozen people will see the ad.

FTX is on the tip of the tongue of everyone who cares about Crypto.  Does that mean its implosion was a good thing?

Hmm so you think millions are fake 555

Trump wins opinion poll

Left cries fake

Trump has millions of fans worldwide. As a non american I can confirm its true.

You Democrat supporters are just too biased to know what goes on in the rest of the world.

You can confirm Trump has millions of fans worldwide?  Without using a poll?

Great.  What are their names?

57 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/howcan-a-poll-of-only-100/

The margin of error is a mathematical abstraction, and there are a number of reasons why actual errors in surveys are larger. Even with random sampling, people in the population have unequal probabilities of inclusion in the survey. For instance, if you don't have a telephone, you won't be in the survey, but if you have two phone lines, you have two chances to be included. In addition, women, whites, older people and college-educated people are more likely to participate in surveys

How did Musk remove these biases, and the bots, from his Twitter poll?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Twitter is just fine. It's the best source for breaking news there is. That includes Thai news, which is faster more thorough and detailed than anything you get, for example, on Aseannow. Even if a story makes it to AN, it's usually hours after the event, sometimes days. I know that I look for both local Thai news and international news on Twitter first. Most of my focus and interest has migrated there. Elon Musk is now running Twitter with 50 people doing the job 7500 were doing before. There's a billion dollars right there.

Given a choice between Twitter news that can be posted by anyone and is not fact checked, and waiting a few hours, or even a day, for news from an established news organization that has a business interest in being credible, I'll wait for the quality stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1