Unscrupulous things happen in London as well

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Why are you so defensive? I merely pointed something out and made an observation 

If it really is an issue, just scroll on by.

Thanks for confirming how the insults impact on you, BTW. Good day 

Good advice... I should have ignored the inanity of your initial response... 

I’ll scroll on by to your trolling in future...  

Good day to you too...    

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sadly... I do... 

Brother in Law - Mugged and Rolex watch robbed off him in London (when he was younger).

There has been 621 street robberies of luxury watches in London in the first six months of this year , watches that cost up to £110,000. . Thats about three robberies per day 

London police record 621 robberies of luxury watches in first half of 2022

https://www.watchpro.com/london-police-record-621-robberies-of-luxury-watches-in-first-half-of-2022/

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

There has been 621 street robberies of luxury watches in London in the first six months of this year , watches that cost up to £110,000. . Thats about three robberies per day

London police record 621 robberies of luxury watches in first half of 2022

https://www.watchpro.com/london-police-record-621-robberies-of-luxury-watches-in-first-half-of-2022/

As a good commie, I  don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who gets a 110,000 quid watch taken from him, lol.

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

And you would fully understand and have no sympathies for yourself  if you got robbed of your iphone in Thailand ?

I don't equate a lousy iPhone with a 110 grand watch, sorry. I wouldn't mind if there weren't hundreds of thousands of kids starving to death. I wonder if the owner of that watch donated that much to charity.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't equate a lousy iPhone with a 110 grand watch, sorry. I wouldn't mind if there weren't hundreds of thousands of kids starving to death. I wonder if the owner of that watch donated that much to charity.

You seem to agree with the principal of poor people stealing rich peoples belongings , so you would agree if you got robbed by a poor person in Thailand  .

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You seem to agree with the principal of poor people stealing rich peoples belongings , so you would agree if you got robbed by a poor person in Thailand  .

I don't condone theft. I never implied that. I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the obscenely rich "victim". He'll just go out and buy another one.

Edited by ozimoron

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

As a good commie, I  don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who gets a 110,000 quid watch taken from him, lol.

You don’t have sympathy for someone who gets robbed just because his item was expensive ??

Now... I can understand that someone with a more expensive item is being somewhat foolish ’showing it off’ in a poorer area or area where there is a higher risk of robbery or they may be more vulnerable...    however, I still have sympathy for any victim of a crime, whether their stolen item was expensive or otherwise. 

But what you seem to be implying (forgive me if I’m mistaken) is that its ok if someone wealthy gets robbed...  ‘lol’ you’d even laugh about it... 

How about a $1000 iPhone in Thailand ?....   thats about 3.5 months work for someone on a minimum wage - a very attractive proposition to them...   should we feel sympathy to you if you were mugged at knife point for your $1000 iPhone ???... after all, you could go out and get a new one the next day, right ????

Now... I know no one condones theft and robbery... its interesting how some let their jealousy of the wealthy impact their opinions of right from wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You don’t have sympathy for someone who gets robbed just because his item was expensive ??

Now... I can understand that someone with a more expensive item is being somewhat foolish ’showing it off’ in a poorer area or area where there is a higher risk of robbery or they may be more vulnerable...    however, I still have sympathy for any victim of a crime, whether their stolen item was expensive or otherwise. 

But what you seem to be implying (forgive me if I’m mistaken) is that its ok if someone wealthy gets robbed...  ‘lol’ you’d even laugh about it... 

How about a $1000 iPhone in Thailand ?....   thats about 3.5 months work for someone on a minimum wage - a very attractive proposition to them...   should we feel sympathy to you if you were mugged at knife point for your $1000 iPhone ???... after all, you could go out and get a new one the next day, right ????

Now... I know no one condones theft and robbery... its interesting how some let their jealousy of the wealthy impact their opinions of right from wrong.

Willfully misunderstand and spin my comment all you like.

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They are a good way to show the context of your post .

If you were being sarcastic???? ,  joking ???? or a tuk-tuk???? or just being a plain W

People were able to do that before emoticons. I work in tech but I hate the junk that comes with it. No social apps, barely use a mobile phone except as a phone, etc. I don't care that others use them or object to them, just couldn't be bothered.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

People were able to do that before emoticons. I work in tech but I hate the junk that comes with it. No social apps, barely use a mobile phone except as a phone, etc. I don't care that others use them or object to them, just couldn't be bothered.

How are people supposed to now whether posts are serious, joking or sarcastic ?

How did people manage to do that before emoticons ?

How are people supposed to now whether posts are serious, joking or sarcastic ?

How did people manage to do that before emoticons ?

From context. Like before emoticons were a thing.  Don't be fooled into thinking emoticons always tell the truth either. The faux smiley is a case in point.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

From context. Like before emoticons were a thing.  Don't be fooled into thinking emoticons always tell the truth either. The faux smiley is a case in point.

You cannot tell just from context , people had said the same thing as you did and meant it in a genuine serious way and how is one to know whether it was supposed to be serious or a joke ?

You cannot tell just from context , people had said the same thing as you did and meant it in a genuine serious way and how is one to know whether it was supposed to be serious or a joke ?

From the style of writing. Mine is different for joking, sarcasm, discussion, etc. I guess a non native might find it tough but that's not my fault. I don't even understand half the emoticons I see so they are more confusing tome than none at all.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

From the style of writing. Mine is different for joking, sarcasm, discussion, etc. I guess a non native might find it tough but that's not my fault. I don't even understand half the emoticons I see so they are more confusing tome than none at all.

English is my first language . so that isn't  the reason .

Was that a deliberate serious derogatory put down, or was you joking ?

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your post speak volumes about your poor reading comprehension... 

back at school days (if you went) were you frequently told ‘mouth into neutral, brain into gear’ ??? 

Just read the posts again... try reading them out-loud.. it may help. 

You read something you disagree with so resort to derogatory comments.

How sad.

More reputable money changers do the calculation first and hand you the paper saying how much you will receive before taking the money

Save any aggravation for the poor teller who does not have a choice in the rates being set

This was obviously not a reputable money changer

The London Mayor (or the mayor of the city of London - different people) could introduce a by-law to require that the money changer states the amount to be returned before taking the money.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now.. keep up... this thread is about unscrupulous things in London...  we are on a Thai forum... its ok to draw comparisons between cities in Thailand and other cities, its ok draw on personal and anecdote when making comments....    

When reports like mine emit from Thailand and Asia , the usual comments are usually along the lines of how corrupt and dishonest Thais/Thailand is .

I just thought that I'd point out that similar things also happen back home 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...