Thai kids not eating their veg! The parents don't educate them, say perplexed Japanese

webfact

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

When I was doing a job in Argentina, vegetables were scarce, it was meat meat and more meat... I certainly did not have the runs......

Meat only? No. Normally other things.

Cheese stops the runs.

Edited by Sparktrader

2 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"The Japanese wondered why Thais weren't constipated all the time"

Really!?!? Do Japanese people need a hobby? Why would such a thought pass thru one's mind?  

Constipation is always on peoples' collective minds in Japan. Lots of medicine for it advertised on TV, cures, etc.  Having a starchy diet with white rice is part of the problem, plus as people age here they get less fibre.  Also, whole wheats and grains are not as popular as they should be. 

As for kids, I am not sure the situation in Thailand, but in Japan all kids eat a prepared school lunch until they are in high school. There is no choice of menu, everyone (even the teacher) gets the same food and should be prepared to finish it.  It is a way to prevent kids from being too picky, to introduce new foods, and to promote locally grown produce/meats/fruit.  Brown bagging or going home for lunch is not an option. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

Might have got potato or pasta with it!

Heaps of carbs in those.

Steak, fish, oysters, onions, mushrooms, eggs, almonds, berries, bananas, coffee, fermented milk or yoghurt, salt and water is just about the perfect diet for nutrition and weight control.

Complete myth you need lots of veges.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Constipation is always on peoples' collective minds in Japan. Lots of medicine for it advertised on TV, cures, etc.  Having a starchy diet with white rice is part of the problem, plus as people age here they get less fibre.  Also, whole wheats and grains are not as popular as they should be. 

As for kids, I am not sure the situation in Thailand, but in Japan all kids eat a prepared school lunch until they are in high school. There is no choice of menu, everyone (even the teacher) gets the same food and should be prepared to finish it.  It is a way to prevent kids from being too picky, to introduce new foods, and to promote locally grown produce/meats/fruit.  Brown bagging or going home for lunch is not an option. 

Too much fibre makes you constipated.

• Haha 1

Most Thais I know load up their meals with enough chili to make any Westerner's eyes water. Chili is a laxative, as it irritates the stomach and intestinal tract.

The most common constituent of Thai meals is rice, at least in the village I live in occasionally. Protein usually comes from eggs, frogs and rats. Rice binds up the digestive tract, the chili is there to get it moving.

It is also useful as a bactericide.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

It was suggested that parents in Thailand don't educate their children about the goodness in vegetables. 

In fact they let them do as they please, unlike the rearing of Japanese children.

Both these statements appear to apply to more than vegetables... ????

6 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

"The Japanese wondered why Thais weren't constipated all the time"

Really!?!? Do Japanese people need a hobby? Why would such a thought pass thru one's mind?  

They're repurposing online comments as news.  Chances are "The Japanese" mentioned above were one or two Japanese people commenting on a forum.

My son would not eat vegetables nor spicy foods. He's 20 now.  We didn't have to give him enemas or laxatives. He wouldn't even eat fried potatoes. He didn't eat sweets or drink sodas (sugary or sugar free).  Was he a 'stick'? No, fat from it, but not a fatty either.  He really liked noodles... Still does, but eats a lot of pork and beef.