Yingluck wanted by the Thai courts - fugitive former PM named in warrant over "Thawin" transfer

webfact

6 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

You really don't like them do you ?

I have not been here for that long when Thaksin was PM so I cannot comment, But it would seem that OneMorefarang feels the same way about Thaksin as I feel about the unelected soldier posing as a PM today.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have not been here for that long when Thaksin was PM so I cannot comment, But it would seem that OneMorefarang feels the same way about Thaksin as I feel about the unelected soldier posing as a PM today.

Are you suggesting that the Asian hub of democracy is tainted.

6 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Talking from 1st hand experience, when the Thaksins were in power I was getting a very good exchange rate for my money. Further more my wife has 4 brothers who are all rice farmers in Korat. They were getting really good money for their rice but that all went pear shaped when the current mob took over. As I stated previously, I'm not interested in Thai politics but I believe everyone should be given a fair go. The current mob have destroyed the real Thais who work the land, making life so much more cosey for the Thai Chinese minority.

That the exchange rate was good was because Thailand was still reeling from its 1997 financial crisis and a weak currency usually connotes a bad economy. And during Yingluck's time in office, the exchange rate went the opposite direction as the baht gained strength. At that point anyone depending on foreign income was hurting. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Yingluck slipped out of Thailand several years ago and since then has been pictured around the world with her brother, former PM and fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra.

Where they will no doubt reside for many more years to come.

10 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Yingluck's government was "removed" because she was too popular to contest an election against.

I remember that people gave her a chance to do her job. Will she work for all Thais and Thailand or for her brother?

And then there was that night when her party tried to whitewash Thaksin, together with many other criminals.

That was the beginning of the end of Yingluck.

I was here and I clearly remember it. You could look it up... 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Trump was also elected.

At least over there some people understand that doesn't allow him to be above the law.

But then, many voters over there are just as ignorant as many Thais.

Yes, elected. Not sure what Trump has to do with this thread, apart from trying to frame the democratic principle as somehow wrong..?

Who's ignorant here, then?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Unless one goes by the name of Thanatorn, they are ALL on the take.

Really?

I remember one of Thaksin's arguments when he wanted the people vote for him (for the first time).

He told everybody he is already so rich he doesn't need/want more money. 

And the masses believed him.

Now tell me again, what is Thanatorn's motivation?

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I remember one of Thaksin's arguments when he wanted the people vote for him (for the first time).

He told everybody he is already so rich he doesn't need/want more money. 

And the masses believed him.

Now tell me again, what is Thanatorn's motivation?

I can answer that but first I would like to ask you what is Prayut's motivation?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 11:31 AM, BritScot said:

Do not let a member listing confuse you to how long someone has been a member. I've been using and following thai visa from the start. I'm well aware of the history as I've been coming to thailand living and working since 2002. Scuba diving instructor kow tow and teacher in bkk so well versed in Thailand.  Pray tell me any office in Thailand that isn't currupt? Nothing/no crime real or imagined that Thaksin or his sister may or may not have done is nothing compared to an army/military takeover and I mean nothing!!! The people voted for Thaksin and for his sister and his sister actually called for an election when the tanks rolled in. 

Sure, military take over is NOT OK, NEVER EVER OK!

That doesn't mean thaksin and his family are legitimate, it doesn't mean they did win FREE AND FAIR elections. Vote buying was rampant and in many areas people were frightened to NOT vote for thaksins machine. 

So you've been here since 2002 teaching scuba divng etc.

I've been working here for 35+ years in mainstream very large Thai companies and in international conglomerates and in JVs 49% owned by inter. conglomerates and 51% Thai gov't agencies. 

I've mentioned before I worked for some time with a loud in your face Thai lady who loudly reminded all Thai staff that her father was a snr cop and was the paymasters organizer for a large part of NE Thailand. She proudly/openly admitted the vote buying. She spoke very advanced English.

I recall one of the farang in the office commented to this lady 'so you give people money to vote RED, but how do you now they do actually do vote RED? She laughed and said 'they wouldn't dare NOT voting RED and we tell them we can check'.

There had been incidents where a big 'sign' had been painted on the houses of folks who didn't vote for the paymaster. These families were instantly seriously harrassed by their neighbors, houses and cars burned etc., and the familied fled. Note that in previous times it had been proven that ballot forms had been marked on the back so that it was traceable back to the name of the voter.

Also don't forget the election where the RED folks insisted that the voting booths had no curtains and that RED monitors could closely watch what voters were indicating on their ballot papers.

Further, I have a close Thai friend who was a very senior beaurocrat in a ministry which handled massive funds distribution. There was an incident, when the paymasters mob were in power, he had a sudden visit from several of the paymasters 'appointed' ministerial officials who had documents in hand to transfer many many millions of Baht to an unknown beneficiary. He refused to sign and these folks quickly threatened the senior beaurocrat if he didn't sign now there would be consequences for his young family. 

My friend made an excuse to leave the room for a second, ran to his actual office, scooped up several important personal documents and fled the building, hailing a taxi on the street and changing taxi several times and meanwhile telling his wife by phone to very quickly pack some clothes and all their personal documents. They grabbed the kids from school and direct to the airport and fled Thailand.

The mother of one of my sons Uni buddies has a royal title and was a very snr. public servant, quite shy lady. When the 1Million Baht Village Fund was started the lady was appointed (not asked or invited) to a fund monitoring committee.

She was horrified how the money was being used in most villages, and she protested. She was promptly seriously intimidated and she quickly resigned from the public service. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Blah, blah, blah.

Every election won by the “Reds” allowed international observers who unanimously declared the elections free and fair (minor corruption uncovered was at a level insufficient to affect the outcome).

The last “election” did not allow international observers… why do you think that is.

Every elected government has attempted to amend the constitution to make it more democratic.

Every coup installed government has ripped up the constitution and replaced it with a less democratic one.

Your whole diatribe is garbage. You condemn Thaksin for the splinter in his eye whilst ignoring the log in the Juntas eye.

????????????

"Every election won by the “Reds” allowed international observers who unanimously declared the elections free and fair (minor corruption uncovered was at a level insufficient to affect the outcome)." Not correct.

You keep repeating the actions of the military and I repeat: IMHO totally unacceptable.

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

"Every election won by the “Reds” allowed international observers who unanimously declared the elections free and fair (minor corruption uncovered was at a level insufficient to affect the outcome)." Not correct.

You keep repeating the actions of the military and I repeat: IMHO totally unacceptable.

It is indeed correct.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/26/thai-election-process-deeply-flawed-independent-observers

In your humble opinion the actions of the military are totally unacceptable?

Funny how your actions are that 99% of your word count is anti Thaksin nonsense - a pretty clear indication that the 1% anti military content is a mere fig leaf as we’ve reached a point where even the most hardcore fascists are too embarrassed to openly support Prayuth and his clown posse.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Why should I, or anybody else, like criminal who like to show off that they are above the law?

Obviously, there were and are lots of corrupt people all over Thailand. The main difference was that Thaksin made it in your face. Look, I made all this money, and you can't do anything about it.

Look, I am above the law.

And now he is in the desert and dreams about how wonderful it would be to be in Thailand.

I hope he comes back, and they put him behind bars for the rest of his life. Karma! 

Is it a crime to make money?