Beware probable email scam

GroveHillWanderer

Just "a word to the wise" as the saying goes - there are some emails going round that purport to be from Thailand Post, talking about a payment that is needed for delivery of a parcel, and that ask you to click on a link in the email. 

A closer look at the details of the sender shows that the email is from an address in Nigeria (.ng suffix) so is highly unlikely to be genuine.

See example below where the full email address is visible (it usually isn't, unless you click to reveal it).

IMG_20221126_123836.png

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2

Long ago (early noughties) I got a "Nigerian Scam" by snail-mail!

Same format as the emails but came in the actual post, had my name and everything.

At the time we lived in Belgium and literally the only people (apart from our landlady) who had my name and address was Belgacom who provided the phone and internet. I wonder who had a leak ... 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Long ago (early noughties) I got a "Nigerian Scam" by snail-mail!

Same format as the emails but came in the actual post, had my name and everything.

At the time we lived in Belgium and literally the only people (apart from our landlady) who had my name and address was Belgacom who provided the phone and internet. I wonder who had a leak ... 

I used to get snail mail Nigerian scam letters back in the '90s. I suspected the Nigerian princes got contact details from one of the foreign chamber of commerce directories here or perhaps a business card that was misplaced or passed along.

Nowadays I get recorded phone messages that start "Praisanee Thai......." and also SMSs that inform me that my loan application has been approved by a bank with which I have no relationship.

• Like 2

The only thing surprising is that there are not more scams than are currently brought to light. When you have the permissions that must be accepted on certain sites it is obvious the scams will increase. An example is in the attached photo. You can not reject these terms and continue on the site. If Thailand is truly concerned about scams then they need to put in place that information related to a person can not be used without their direct and 100% approval

1084756742_RestaurantConsent.png.98c8b28b7f9d8e9e603db3503567f7a6.png

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

A closer look at the details of the sender shows that the email is from an address in Nigeria (.ng suffix) so is highly unlikely to be genuine.

Yes I had the same yesterday or Friday. It immediately got marked as phising and, after warning the gf about it, deleted out of existence.

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

Thx for the warning (also the reply to email address is already suspicious)

Yes, but that's the whole point - the email address isn't normally visible. You have to know how and where to click to be able to see it, and most people don't bother to do that.

Here's what the email looked like originally.

IMG_20221127_144533.png.2c487cd65d0a62472a26c0b4ba3f3001.png