Denied Health Insurance for O-A

Has anyone had experience with this?  I thought I saw a thread on this, but now I cannot find it.

6.3 In the event that the insurance company refuses to purchase all or part of the health insurance
Must have a deposit balance in a commercial bank account located in Thailand for not less than 3,000,000 baht
before applying for at least 2 months or have a deposit in a commercial bank account located in Thailand
and other health insurance limits are not calculated together. Less than 3,000,000 baht for medical treatment
There must be proof of refusal to purchase health insurance certified by the insurance company.
or certified by a foreign embassy in Thailand or certifying the signature of the person authorized
to sign the documents presented (Notary) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the applicant, as the case may be.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jen65 said:

Why can the authorities / Immigration not just accept the permanent deposit in a Thai Bank of say 2 or 3M baht for medical insurance purposes ??

Or, adopt what the new BoI LTR visa has as an option, namely, $100k in your home country bank account, i.e., no need to bring that money to Thailand for self-insurance purposes. And no need to show proof of insurance denial to use this self-insure option.

BoI's approach is rational, namely, self-insurance requirements are purely to protect Thailand from dead beats. Unlike with Police and Insurance Mafia requirements, that force buying a Thai issued insurance policy; but if somehow you can't, then you must park your money in a Thai financial institution. Either way, the emphasis is NOT on precluding health dead beats -- but on making sure the foreigner pads the wallets of self-promoting Thai entities.

But, this is Thailand -- and Asia -- land of individual 'rice bowls.' You're not going to merge rice bowls in the interest of efficiency and fairness -- not if one or more of those rice bowls get broken.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:25 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

I didn't know they were still issuing the O. I got it about 4 years ago, but I don't know why I got it rather than the OA

You got a visa and you don't know why you got an O rather than O-A  ?????   Your lack of knowledge is astonishing 

On 12/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, OJAS said:

@ubonjoe or @Maestro - might be worth adding this Police Order to the pinned Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc thread??

Thank you for that .  So 3M baht total if using Thai bank/Medical Insurance Policies  OR certified foreign insurance . Good to know that Thai Insurance Companies do not have a monopoly on the medical insurance requirements .