How do I make my students do their assignments?

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

They never taught you how to handle difficult children and you have to ask on the internet?

You believe that a "real teacher" is educated in what to do when the whole class doesn't want to work and refuses to do so, cannot fail, see no consequences for their actions, are safe in the knowledge that the teacher will be fired, and are happy for that to happen?  With the school siding with the students and offering zero support to the teacher, telling them not to bother any Thai teachers about it?

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

You believe that a "real teacher" is educated in what to do when the whole class doesn't want to work and refuses to do so, cannot fail, see no consequences for their actions, are safe in the knowledge that the teacher will be fired, and are happy for that to happen?  With the school siding with the students and offering zero support to the teacher, telling them not to bother any Thai teachers about it?

I believe that if you want to teach children in another country you should have proper teaching qualifications and speak their language. I work here, speak their language and have respect by most people. There are always people who can't be bothered. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

There are people on the forum who marry a bar girl with less than 4 years of education and think all Thai people are like that.

Sure, and this might be the case with the example in question, but it is still a thing that happens.  Simply adding the detail "she's a bargirl" doesn't change the fact that the husband being foreign is a factor and that this reflects Thais having different attitudes to foreigners than they do other Thais, which is the point being discussed.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Sure, and this might be the case with the example in question, but it is still a thing that happens.  Simply adding the detail "she's a bargirl" doesn't change the fact that the husband being foreign is a factor and that this reflects Thais having different attitudes to foreigners than they do other Thais, which is the point being discussed.

Being foreign is a factor which can be overcome in most cases by learning the language and understanding the culture.

That's usual with M5 and M6, most of them just don't care anymore because they will be leaving soon, they know they can't fail etc

But I've never heard of Admin/Management firing a teacher because of lazy students not doing there work? Especially in a government school. I could maybe understand it in a private school where Admin has pressure from parent payinh

That's the students fault of completing work, not really the teachers

Maybe record some of your lessons, keep evidence, show management you are trying your best in class to make them complete work

Why not hand out suitable punishments - No work completed.........they stay behind with you at lunchtime?

I believe that if you want to teach children in another country you should have proper teaching qualifications and speak their language.

I think your expectations are a little unrealistic.  The teaching of English in most Thai schools is really more about training than teaching.  It's largely going to be about exposure and practice.  Proper teaching qualifications would probably not be that helpful in ESL (outside specific ESL qualifications), and may even be a negative as teachers would then try to teach formally in a subject that doesn't really require it.

Thai is not an easy language to learn and it isn't something that is absolutely needed to teach ESL.  Would it be a benefit?  Maybe, but generally most of the instruction will be done in English, with the help of a co-teacher.

I work here, speak their language and have respect by most people. There are always people who can't be bothered. 

I think to say "cannot be bothered" is a little unfair.  Most people in ESL won't necessarily be relocating permanently and may not know how long they will be teaching in each country.

Having a trained and experiences foreign teacher, walking into a classroom speaking fluent Thai would probably be a pretty successful teacher, sure, but how many people are going to do that and then teach in Thailand?  Particularly in jobs that probably pay 35,000 Baht a month!

A "qualified" teacher, who is willing to get to fluent level in the local language, could probably work anywhere they wanted.  You're expecting too much for the job in question.

11 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Being foreign is a factor which can be overcome in most cases by learning the language and understanding the culture.

Some people don't have the ability or opportunity.  Do they simply deserve what they get?  More fool them for marrying someone, supporting them, and then expecting them to be faithful?  It's never the Thai person's fault?  Their attitude is fine in this scenario?

If you can speak the language and understand the culture you are rightly rewarded, while if you cannot they you deserve to be treated as subhuman?  Is that it?

English-only speaking teacher doesn't qualify as the actual teacher. In primary school he/she is a clown speaking some weird lingvo. Later - he's simply boring. high school: just copy whatever he/she writes on the white board and cheat with assesments.

Dig this: there's something called "science class" and teeecha Steeef clicking through PowerPoint presentation about formation of Earth. He uses terms "plates" and "core". How he can explain to thai kids what are those? By pictures? Seriously?

In primary teeecha Andyyy could not explain what is table what is desk.

In KMUTT there's old fart doctor E***** from UK (who is so good he got residence permit) teaching thermodynamics. Although he was around LOS for more than 35 years he can't read thai and barely talks to street vendors and occasional merchants.
Thermodynamics in University in English while kids simply don't speak it well enough to learn/study.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

English-only speaking teacher doesn't qualify as the actual teacher. In primary school he/she is a clown speaking some weird lingvo. Later - he's simply boring. high school: just copy whatever he/she writes on the white board and cheat with assesments.

Dig this: there's something called "science class" and teeecha Steeef clicking through PowerPoint presentation about formation of Earth. He uses terms "plates" and "core". How he can explain to thai kids what are those? By pictures? Seriously?

In primary teeecha Andyyy could not explain what is table what is desk.

In KMUTT there's old fart doctor E***** from UK (who is so good he got residence permit) teaching thermodynamics. Although he was around LOS for more than 35 years he can't read thai and barely talks to street vendors and occasional merchants.
Thermodynamics in University in English while kids simply don't speak it well enough to learn/study.

I'm not sure if in sharing your opinion you meant to be incredibly offensive towards foreigners, Thais, or both.  Can you clarify?

23 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not sure if in sharing your opinion you meant to be incredibly offensive towards foreigners, Thais, or both.  Can you clarify?

I hope the goal was not to demonstrate a fluency in English and grammar 5555

• Thumbs Up 2

and that sum's up the level of education and how important education is in Thailand.... did you check their ratings on English proficiency? 

Damning English survey ranking leaves Thailand almost rock bottom in the World

as well

Health minister challenged over young boys seen smoking weed in Pattaya

Edited by Mavideol
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

There are people on the forum who marry a bar girl with less than 4 years of education and think all Thai people are like that.

In my Thai family one never went beyond primary school, now she holds a university degree. Thanks to getting into bed with a rich Chinese daddy. The other one was forced to change primary school 4-5 times, not wanting to learn and being disruptive to the other students. He then went to secondary and struggled every year and now he holds a degree too. I went to school for 15 years to be a plumber. In Thailand I would probably be a doctor of science or something similar.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, it should be like that but then you mix with the wrong people.

Whether you can avoid it or not, it is still very much the case in Thailand.

"It's not a problem if you learn to speak the language and study the culture" does not excuse that thing.

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

First rule of TESOL.

"Never use the students' native tongue in class. Only use the language they are learing, English."

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

True but i think working to shape children for their future should.

As I said, ESL isn't really the same as other subjects.  It's taught in a way that the native language doesn't need to be used.  It's more about exposure and practice.

While it certainly could be beneficial for either the teacher to be fluent in the native language, or for students to have a high level English, as it would allow more teaching outside the curriculum and in-depth discussion to take place, ESL can be taught without this.

You are, of course, free to have your own ideas about what an ESL teacher should be, but I don't think this reflects the reality of the situation.

9 minutes ago, puchooay said:

First rule of TESOL.

"Never use the students' native tongue in class. Only use the language they are learing, English."

I remember we had German and English teachers in high school only EVER spoke in their native tongue. Only once in two year did I hear a female German teacher speak in (fluent) English when she was so exasperated with a kid.... she said "do you really not know" or may have been "are you really that stupid"....things were different then

Edited by Kenny202

6 minutes ago, puchooay said:

First rule of TESOL.

Like TESOL is a Uni degree in teaching. Common sense will tell you that explaining things in native tongue will work better if children are lost and will help them to keep them interested. They will lose interest if they don't have a clue what you are talking about. If you have adults who want to learn and are very motivated only teach them in what they want to learn is a good option.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Like TESOL is a Uni degree in teaching. Common sense will tell you that explaining things in native tongue will work better if children are lost and will help them to keep them interested. They will lose interest if they don't have a clue what you are talking about. If you have adults who want to learn and are very motivated only teach them in what they want to learn is a good option.

How did you learn your native tongue?

It's the same idea. Immersion, body language and facial expressions. If your students don't have a clue, you are doing something wrong and need to change your style.

Teaching in Thai schools is a dual process. All students also learn with a Thai teacher. Let the Thais explain in Thai, they are more fluent than you after all, then the Native English speakers do the conversation, pronunciation, role plays, situation play outs, etc.

If a foreigner speaks Thai in a Thai classroom, what is the point of them being there? None.

Edited by puchooay

35 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I remember we had German and English teachers in high school only EVER spoke in their native tongue. Only once in two year did I hear a female German teacher speak in (fluent) English when she was so exasperated with a kid.... she said "do you really not know" or may have been "are you really that stupid"....things were different then

Our French teachers hardly ever spoke French. We learnt almost nothing.

The best learning experience we had was when we had a week school trip to France. Stayed in a Chateau with French staff. The teachers there only spoke French. We had no choice. Learnt more that week than the rest of the 4 years of study.

Says what is wrong with the Thai Education System.

I once thought I could help  by teaching English, but quickly gave up as I realised that speaking English is not the same as being able to teach ohers to speak English.

Secondly, gave up  because all students simply wanted their assignments to be easy, and none wanted to work to learn.

7 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why on earth would you go to all that effort just for 40,000 baht per month or whatever pittance they pay these days?

3 hours ago, Robin said:

Says what is wrong with the Thai Education System.

I once thought I could help  by teaching English, but quickly gave up as I realised that speaking English is not the same as being able to teach ohers to speak English.

Secondly, gave up  because all students simply wanted their assignments to be easy, and none wanted to work to learn.

The good thing about the lack of interest in learning English is that you don't get random dudes pestering you to practice their limited English when you're out and about.

They do that in Indonesia a lot and it gets tiresome after a while. Especially when it's dudes and they get upset when you ask them if they have a cute sister ????