Bank insists I wear a mask

i have been turned away a couple of times by staff at SCB Bank for not wearing a mask. Used to always wear one during the pandemic, but just stopped the last four or five months when everyone else did. 

I still keep a mask under the seat on my motorbike, but rarely carry one. Although I do when I visit BKK.

It's annoying to be turned away, but its their bank, their rules. Not so strict in BKK Bank.

• Like 2

As stated a bank is a PRIVATE institution. As such they can enforce " terms and conditions of service " on / in their property as rules..  Refusing service would be proper if a person does not comply with their rules.  My bank requires a mask, so for 5 to 10 minutes I wear one while conducting my business.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Onerak said:

I said bottom of the barrel living in Thailand with retirement or "wife visa". Are you bottom of the barrel? Then may be you're lucky to have an elite visa. I did not say smart visa or LTR visas or even business visas or work visas. 80% members of this forum are living on retirement or "wife visa" 

That's about 800 people or so. 

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I really don't get the people who still stubbornly refuse to adhere to simple conventions.

Maybe because almost the entire world has moved on from wearing a mask. Even in China, despite the recent anti-Covid restriction protests. I've watched dozens of videos of day and night street scenes in various parts of China and the vast majority - I'd guess over 90% - don't wear a mask now.

It's annoying when Thais want to impose their sheep stupidity on others. The whole world is wrong to give up mask wearing. Only Thailand is right. Nothing new there.

• Thanks 2

The Bank can set its own rules about mask wearing just like any private business.  Of course if the business was just telling foreigners to wear masks, that would bother me. 
So if a person doesn’t like the rules of a business they have the option of not going there. You take it or leave it. 
I don’t see the big deal of having to wear a mask for a few minutes.  If everyone else is required to. 

• Like 2

Sounds very simple to me. I think you are making a small matter into something big. The Bank is a private company and can have whatever rules they want. Their rule is you have to wear a mask inside their Bank. None of your freedoms were taken away, as you have the options of staying there and putting on your mask or leave and not put on your mask. You need to get use to this "new norm", as you are going to find some places will require you to wear a mask and some will not. Things will never go back to the way they where pre-covid-19.

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Stop whining, you have been here long enough to understand the Thais - and, please, quoting anything about the Chinese does absolutely nothing for your credibility.

I'm not whining, just making an observation. If that's okay with you. And I have no idea what you are referring to regarding the Chinese. All I did was report what I've seen in dozens of videos. The overwhelming majority do not wear a mask - same as the rest of the world outside of Thailand and maybe Japan. 

5 hours ago, dundas said:

I recently got Covid after sitting on a crowded Melbourne tram – and where I was one of the few people wearing a mask. A $A1,112.99 course of anti-virals later I am recovering but it's not a great experience. The thing about masks is that they protect others much more than they protect the wearer. If you care for the people around you, just wear a mask. And if you  care about your freedom not to wear a mask because you don't give a **** about others, go live in a country of like minds where everyone is equally as selfish as you are (like Australia, for instance).  As for the legality of it all, who cares?Just don't go around imposing your beliefs on the citizens of your host country, take your cues from them instead.  It's their country, after all. 

You probably didn't need the antivirals. For most people Covid is like a strong cold and the only medication needed being a box of Paracetamol. So I can even see a benefit in  catching it as it is probably better than the obsolete booster shots the give now in Thailand.

BTW, I did have Covid. And I wear a mask on the BTS.

Edited by Boomer6969

15 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not whining, just making an observation. If that's okay with you. And I have no idea what you are referring to regarding the Chinese. All I did was report what I've seen in dozens of videos. The overwhelming majority do not wear a mask - same as the rest of the world outside of Thailand and maybe Japan. 

Nice assumption but completely wrong.  I was in Vietnam last week, 85% mask wearing is my estimate. Singapore was less but still 40-50%.  Philippines was 85-90%.  Why do you assume it is only Thailand and China?  It is not.  I dare say it is much of SE Asia.

Personally I don't wear one unless I take the BTS or other mass transit and that really doesn't kill me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Nice assumption but completely wrong.  I was in Vietnam last week, 85% mask wearing is my estimate. Singapore was less but still 40-50%.  Philippines was 85-90%.  Why do you assume it is only Thailand and China?  It is not.  I dare say it is much of SE Asia.

Personally I don't wear one unless I take the BTS or other mass transit and that really doesn't kill me.

Interesting. Yes, an Asian thing I suppose, as it always had been pre-Covid. Strange that only Asians feel the need. Doesn't say much for the environment, if everyone is paranoid about their health. As for your second paragraph, me too.