British tourist arrested for overstaying in Sisaket, says he loves Thailand so much he doesn’t want to leave

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Onerak said:

Also, the police had no obligation to drive me around to her house or to the bus station. All goals were accomplished without any problems. 

Sounds like the cops wanted to get rid of a troublesome falang as quickly as possible.  ????

47 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It seems to me there is more to this story than has been published.

A 30yo knowingly overstaying, hiding out, and reluctant to return home.

Local authorities looking for him specifically in the town where he is hiding.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised it UK authorities asked the locals to apprehend him for other matters.

I highly doubt it. A simple 75 day overstay. 
Where do you get he was hiding out from? The only thing mentioned was he was walking down the street. I'm reluctant to go home as millions of people are it's cold lol. I just don't get some of you part time detectives sometimes on here who make up stuff in their head. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Banks in Thailand always wanted to see ID for certain transactions but a Thai drivers license was often sufficient. Not so any more, even my own branch, where I've been a familiar face for the past fifteen years, wants my passport every time for any transaction. One teller let it slip that she was required to check the visa stamp to make sure I was here legally, if I wasn't, I wouldn't be allowed to transact on my account. I thought I'd call her bluff and asked her if she would know a valid visa if she saw one? She said yes, and went on to point out my visa extension and permission to remain date. I wrote to the CEO of the bank to ask if his bank was now an extension of Immigration Dept. but he didn't reply. I did get some acknowledgement with an obscure reply from a junior. They are getting serious about this.

Been like this for years, you can't open an account without a valid visa, and all transactions require passport and yes they will report overstayers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Been like this for years, you can't open an account without a valid visa, and all transactions require passport and yes they will report overstayers.

I'm not talking about opening an account, of course you need a passport to do that. I'm talking about updating my bank book, my bank wouldn't even let me do that unless I showed my passport first!

• Like 2

Just now, nigelforbes said:

I'm not talking about opening an account, of course you need a passport to do that. I'm talking about updating my bank book, my bank wouldn't even let me do that unless I showed my passport first!

read my post again.

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

read my post again.

It was early this year that UOB began enforcing this rule for me, up until that time I'd been able to use my Thai drivers license or if needed, a copy of my passport page that they held on file in the back. Up until then, I could perform routine transactions freely, without having to show my passport, because they know me personally. And I'm certain until that time, nobody in the branch ever queried my Immi. status or knew what a visa looked like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nigelforbes said:

It was early this year that UOB began enforcing this rule for me, up until that time I'd been able to use my Thai drivers license or if needed, a copy of my passport page that they held on file in the back. Up until then, I could perform routine transactions freely, without having to show my passport, because they know me personally. And I'm certain until that time, nobody in the branch ever queried my Immi. status or knew what a visa looked like.

They were breaking their own rules. My bank manager lives near my wife and I and we know her well, but still have to show my passport after 15+ years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I highly doubt it. A simple 75 day overstay. 
Where do you get he was hiding out from? The only thing mentioned was he was walking down the street. I'm reluctant to go home as millions of people are it's cold lol. I just don't get some of you part time detectives sometimes on here who make up stuff in their head. 

Read my last sentence again and try reading my signature and understand it.

My post is opinion, just as is your whitewashing of a criminal act.  You are probably basing your indignation on a patriotic belief that any of your fellow countrymen must be snow white.

Incidentally, I am long retired, but was a trained federal investigator with extensive relevant experience. 

14 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

If he did things the proper way maybe he could have stayed 

At 30 yrs old, guessing he didn't have a proper way to stay.  Hence the overstay, as it really is way too easy to stay in TH.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

If the UK did their job and done this they would be called racist by the loony lefties. You can't blame Thailand for doing this. Sounds like the guy knows Thai culture well as his reply was right out of the Thai Wai book of "please let me off".

Making stuff up in your head to get angry about 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Banks in Thailand always wanted to see ID for certain transactions but a Thai drivers license was often sufficient. Not so any more, even my own branch, where I've been a familiar face for the past fifteen years, wants my passport every time for any transaction. One teller let it slip that she was required to check the visa stamp to make sure I was here legally, if I wasn't, I wouldn't be allowed to transact on my account. I thought I'd call her bluff and asked her if she would know a valid visa if she saw one? She said yes, and went on to point out my visa extension and permission to remain date. I wrote to the CEO of the bank to ask if his bank was now an extension of Immigration Dept. but he didn't reply. I did get some acknowledgement with an obscure reply from a junior. They are getting serious about this.

I’ve never been asked for any sort of id at an ATM , it just spits out the money every time, no questions asked ????

• Like 2

2 month overstay isn't exactly a big crime. Just get him to pay the overstay and deport him. If they start treating western overstay tourists as criminals then Thailand will get a bad reputation, which will be bad for tourism. Just saying...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, novacova said:

I’ve never been asked for any sort of id at an ATM , it just spits out the money every time, no questions asked ????

It's an odd concept to get your head around I understand, but an ATM is not a full service bank. I did try to renew my Fixed Deposit at an ATM once but the damned thing just wouldn't listen.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Read my last sentence again and try reading my signature and understand it.

My post is opinion, just as is your whitewashing of a criminal act.  You are probably basing your indignation on a patriotic belief that any of your fellow countrymen must be snow white.

Incidentally, I am long retired, but was a trained federal investigator with extensive relevant experience. 

Hard to believe with that post. Very hard. Article states he was walking down the street. You state he was hiding. 

Edited by alex8912

1 minute ago, SuwadeeS said:

Amazing Thailand.

Crackdowns are only applied to foreigners and tourists.

I am wondering, why all these other crackdowns never ever one worked out.

It must have to do with racism. No other explaination.

Tell me you're not suggesting that Immi has a crack down on local Thai's also, Dear God please!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Onerak said:

The officer wrote a letter that I lost my passport and got a new one and transferred my visa info into the new one. I wanted to teach her a lesson that she can't do anything to me even if she takes my passport. She thought Police will arrest me for not having a passport and I have to come to her crawling because I am in her country and she had the upper hand. It was more than 15 years decades ago.

The police HAD cars 150 years ago

OMG  :shock1:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

If he did things the proper way maybe he could have stayed 

I think this might have something to do with the sort of mis information you see on sites like tik tok. Many younger ones telling the world that they just quit their job and got a one way flight and moved to Thailand, giving the impression this is reality- POV living the dream! Not seen one yet of these know it alls languishing in IDC doing a POV living the nightmare version yet.????