Local Pattaya bar owner at wits end after legal dispute over bar lease and status

webfact

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think you're describing Chuvit's Sukhumvit Square, Soi 10, bar area that was cleared during the night in 2003.  Definitely not Washington Square, Soi 22. 

Is it where the Doll House was originally?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Jason states that he had what he thought was a trusted friend of eighteen years, whose full name is withheld pending further legal action, sign the lease for twelve months

Another western sucker.

Trust is not a concept here.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Don't buy properties? As in condo's? Why is that? 

1. The market is <deleted> here.

2. And one will have a happy life limiting dealings/friction with locals; they are playing a different game from us.

Well, some friction is ok, I suppose, but only in the form of a good rubdown ????

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In Thailand

Rule #1/ never invest in or buy property.

Rule #2/ ( applies in any country ) never employ ( or work for ) friends or relations.

Plus never invest more than you can afford to walk away from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I can top that. ????

Sukhumvit Square, Soi 10, 2003. 44 bar beer leaseholders were making lease payments to the sub lease holder but the landowner wasn't receiving anything. One Saturday night after the bars had closed, soldiers using bulldozers flattened every bar, without any warning. The landowner, Kuhn Chuvit of soapy fame, along with 66 other defendants, got up to 5 years each. 

That was now where Chuwit park sits .....  that's old news,  we use to go there and have a game of pool sometimes. Dozers came at 3.00am and flattened the lot in a heartbeat ....  I've got a photo somewhere showing a pile of rubbish which was once bars.  Washington square has a similar fate however it was done in a more orderly fashion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In Thailand

Rule #1/ never invest in or buy property.

Rule #2/ ( applies in any country ) never employ ( or work for ) friends or relations.

will add Rule #3 //  if not sure just follow rule #1 and #2.....  555

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

he came full-time in September of 2021 and decided to purchase The Happy Buddha Sports Bar on Soi Seven

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Time to superglue his shirt to his back.

Seen this happen many times and the end result is someone who ends up bitter and twisted against all things Thai.

Edited by Denim

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

BS, bought property, setup businesses, employed family and never had a problem.

Most foreigners who go into business in Thailand have never run a business in their life, don't have any business sense and don't do proper research. Signing a lease for only a year is a NOGO to start with.

Agreed, and I've done similar. Some people can't be trusted to buy real estate properly and safely, that's why they offer up the (poor) advice that they do...as you say, do your research first. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Buy a house, condo, etc and stuck with it when it goes wrong.

All night karaokes move next door to houses, condos let the horde rent by the night etc.

In LOS a farang basically has no rights when it goes wrong. Pay a lawyer to sort it 555555555555

As always in LOS, it's great till it's not.

I've read too many tales of woe on this forum ( and TVF ) from people that left their brains at the airport.

I learned the lesson very early on. I stayed at a nice resort on Chaweng Beach where a farang had built a lovely teak room for yoga classes.

Went back next holiday and both farang and yoga room had vanished.

Never did find out what happened, but I'll bet he didn't go voluntarily.

What does your post back to me have anything to do with my question? Of course you will hear tales of woe on this little forum. In real life a lot of foreigners including myself have made good profits on buying and selling condos over the years. If I listened to most of them I would never have started in the first place.  I remember clearly selling my first place on Satorn 12 in a slightly older building to a Thai female. Everyone here said " Thais don't buy older buildings " blah blah blah. I've only lived in quiet streets and still do. No karaoke ever. I think Bangkok was great buying and selling over the years. I stopped a few years ago but look forward to buying and selling in the future. 
Your last point about a yoga studio has nothing to do with buying and selling properties and by your own account you have no idea what happened!  I'd stay out of Real Estate big time if I was you. ???? 

• Like 2

If you are planning a life or business in Thailand there are certain rules you need to follow:-

Rule Number 1 - Trust No one

Rule Number 2 - When in Thailand please refer to Rule Number 1

Rule Number 3 - If you have a friend of 18 years please refer to Rule Number 1

Rule Number 4 - When marrying a Thai girl please refer to Rule Number 1

Rule Number 5 - If starting a business in Thailand please refer to Rule Number 1

Rule Number 6 - If in doubt please refer to rule Number 1

Keep everything close to you and controlled by you.

When it comes to money, business, relationships or property, please refer to Rule Number 1.

• Thanks 1

He'd have been better off calling Saul, being clearly a bit naive/trusting I really wonder if he decided it was a good idea to open up the details of his case in the public arena or he was advised to do so. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some degree of common ownership exists between the law firm representing him and the news outlet getting some copy from the story. At the very least any credible news outlet should highlight a vested/connected business interest in the case. 

Edited by kinyara
edit