Local Pattaya bar owner at wits end after legal dispute over bar lease and status

webfact

52 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

One of the wisest comments which zeroes right into the fundamental point of letting someone have any sort of power over you, financial or otherwise. That's why I don't use any visa services that others swear by. I won't place important paperwork in anyone else's hands. I would never let any Thai girl or anyone else know ANYTHING about my finances, how much I make, where my accounts are, property (it's all in the US anyway, except for the piano in my apartment). I would not invest in anything here, period. I looked into it briefly, no thanks.  Master of my own destiny. 

I will take that as a compliment.

Only invested 10% of my worth here in a property, Honda 125 bike, and new car 7 years ago.

Wife lives well of what I make from investments. Apart from my Thai account which is solely used for the annual budget, my other accounts are off shore, I had a prenuptial agreement done back in the old country in 2007 and as far as I know it is still part of the Family Law Act and is worth it's weight in protecting my assets.

Wife of 15 years knows how much I earn from investments, how much it costs us to live, and of course if we ever split up, what I have provided her with is hers, plus the gold and land she has accumulated over the years.

She also knows that she has no rights to my investments or access, and that there is a will in place is I ever cark it, along with a life insurance policy for her.

Being fair works both ways, she has looked after me and I have looked after her, that said, any man who wears his finances on his sleeve and or freely hands it over to his partner, leaves himself wide open. 

My dad once said to me, you always have to keep them keen.

You have learned well grasshopper. 

Kung Fu: Master Po on the Importance of the Past - YouTube

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I'd stay out of Real Estate big time if I was you.

LOL. I took my own advice and stayed out of Thai real estate. Never bought any - or should I say I never gave any money to a Thai to buy real estate in their name. I had no problem ignoring my wife's hints that I should build a house for her.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  How would that concern you and how would it be relevant?

It would be relevant if he's not allowed to work on it.

No, it would not, that would be completely irrelevant to anyone but him and would not affect the apparent fraudulent taking of his business or this thread.  Where was is stated, or even vaguely suggested, that he worked in the bar?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, jimn said:

Yes many of those as well. There are some though as long as you have the right format and business brain who own successfull bars, some even a chain of them.

The percentage of failed bars to successful bars does not put the odds in favor of opening a bar here. 

23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Go on, Leaver, you tell us, you seem to know.

The percentages are debatable, but I would say the percentage of failed businesses here, historically, is a lot higher, by a long way, to those that are successful. 

Are you suggesting successful businesses, historically, outnumber failed businesses? 

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The percentages are debatable, but I would say the percentage of failed businesses here, historically, is a lot higher, by a long way, to those that are successful. 

Are you suggesting successful businesses, historically, outnumber failed businesses? 

Are you suggesting you know all the failed and successful businesses in Pattaya?

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, kinyara said:

He'd have been better off calling Saul, being clearly a bit naive/trusting I really wonder if he decided it was a good idea to open up the details of his case in the public arena or he was advised to do so. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe some degree of common ownership exists between the law firm representing him and the news outlet getting some copy from the story. At the very least any credible news outlet should highlight a vested/connected business interest in the case. 

He too busy wrapped in the thought of bar ownership and free poontang..... Than to worry about the small details..... Like getting stitched up !!

Edited by Ralf001

On 12/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, Leaver said:
On 12/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Go on, Leaver, you tell us, you seem to know.

"I would say the percentage of failed businesses here, historically, is a lot higher, by a long way, to those that are successful".

Based on what evidence? 

"Are you suggesting successful businesses, historically, outnumber failed businesses?"

You're the one doing the suggesting with a complete lack of evidence, not me.   Are you suggesting that you're right in your assumptions?   With nothing to back it up.

On 12/9/2022 at 4:37 AM, Leaver said:

I have seen that many new businesses , restaurants and things don't seem to last long , they are often gone within a few months , they don't seem to realise that it takes time to build up a regular customer base and then make a profit .

On 12/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, Leaver said:

How can he walk away from 5 months left of a 12 month lease on a beer bar, and what about that bamboo furniture, fan, and small TV in the photo?  You just can't walk away from such a large investment.  It's worth fighting for.  ????

I understand that he has allot invested, things happen and at this point his the landlord and partners playing games I only see loosing more money and not getting the bar back. You cant keep putting out money into a loosing situation.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, jimn said:

Yes many of those as well. There are some though as long as you have the right format and business brain who own successfull bars, some even a chain of them.

In Thailand it's contacts you got to have the right contacts!!

On 12/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, nigelforbes said:

I can top that. ????

Sukhumvit Square, Soi 10, 2003. 44 bar beer leaseholders were making lease payments to the sub lease holder but the landowner wasn't receiving anything. One Saturday night after the bars had closed, soldiers using bulldozers flattened every bar, without any warning. The landowner, Kuhn Chuvit of soapy fame, along with 66 other defendants, got up to 5 years each. 

used to be one of my afternoon spots.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Always an exception to the rule, but get back to us in 10 years and let us know how it's going.

I did well with my company, sold it for a nice profit after 12 years.  I have a few expat friends that did well too.

I know 2 expats that lost allot, but they did things half-ass and it didn't work out.

So what type of company did you own?

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

So what type of company did you own?

Are you baiting?

Did you not read my posts where I said it's not a good idea to own property in LOS? Did I have to spell it out that that that would apply to owning a company as well?

IMO for every farang that doesn't lose his shirt by buying/ investing in LOS there must be more that do. IMO any farang that wins in LOS is an exception, not the rule.

NB, I'm talking about individuals, not overseas companies or corporations.

If you have any facts to prove that investing/ buying property in LOS is a good deal for a MAJORITY of farangs I'll be happy to see them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dddave said:

Washington Sq. bar owners knew for years that their days were numbered.  Finally, all their leases were terminated and they were told to get out, however the  family that owned and wanted to develop that land (Not sure if Thai or Indian) were in the midst of a rancorous  feud between the three controlling siblings so nothing happened and continued not happening for nearly 2 more years. Many of the bars just kept opening every day with nobody collecting any rent because that would have legitimized their presence thus they had a pretty good final few years.   Eventually, buildings started being torn down piecemeal until the Washington Sq. area looked like a current Ukrainian city, some bars still standing, many others reduced to sad rubble..

The deeply lamented "Silver Dollar" and "Hairy Pie Bar" were among the last to go.

My experience of Washington Square was a single visit during the day. I regret now that I didn't go during the night time, so just another place to add to my list of places I should have gone to.

Anyone know what it's like now?

On 12/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, Robbie2618 said:

Why have someone else who wasn't involved in the business sign a lease for his business? When I rented the lease was in my name, I wouldn't want anyone else on it. I'm guessing there is more to it.

It is a SUB LET 

On 12/11/2022 at 8:40 AM, dddave said:

Washington Sq. bar owners knew for years that their days were numbered.  Finally, all their leases were terminated and they were told to get out, however the  family that owned and wanted to develop that land (Not sure if Thai or Indian) were in the midst of a rancorous  feud between the three controlling siblings so nothing happened and continued not happening for nearly 2 more years. Many of the bars just kept opening every day with nobody collecting any rent because that would have legitimized their presence thus they had a pretty good final few years.   Eventually, buildings started being torn down piecemeal until the Washington Sq. area looked like a current Ukrainian city, some bars still standing, many others reduced to sad rubble..

The deeply lamented "Silver Dollar" and "Hairy Pie Bar" were among the last to go.

Hairy Pie was a complete mess several years before the end , as indeed was Taffy.

On 12/11/2022 at 8:04 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

My experience of Washington Square was a single visit during the day. I regret now that I didn't go during the night time, so just another place to add to my list of places I should have gone to.

Anyone know what it's like now?

Been an empty lot for some time.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:04 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You didn't miss much at night, most of the regulars had gone home long ago by the time I got there - there might have been one or two people left in the bars by about 10pm.

It was a dreary old dump of a place at night. I didn't go during the day but I did go during the last year or two of its existence so perhaps that's why it was so quiet.

• Thanks 1