Please Name This Bug And How To Stop Them Eating My Adenium

I must admit, I have neglected my Desert Rose for years. It used to be beautiful. (Pic 1)

And today I found a load of excrement around the base of the pot. (Pic 2)

Didn't take long to discover the culprit. (Pic 3)

There was even a baby one on another plant. (Pic 4)

So what's the best spray to keep these b*ggers away?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Flowers IMG_20210214_180340 800.jpg

IMG_20221208_141149.jpg shite crop 800.jpg

IMG_20221208_140655 crop 800.jpg

small IMG_20221208_141046 crop 800.jpg

10 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Hi.   This is the caterpillar of Daphnis hypothous - a beautiful Hawkmoth species - related to the Oleander Hawkmoth.  I have these on my desert roses too - but the plants recover quickly - and seeing the beauty of the larvae and the moths outweighs the temporary carnage! (IMO). 

Edit:  any topical pyrethrum insecticidal spray will get rid of them ????

1D9FC701-87DC-4A7D-A2C6-4825BCE404B3.jpeg

Wow is that the Camo version?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, G Rex said:

The other common food plant for this species is oleander.  If larvae are taken from this plant - the cardiac glycosides ingested by the caterpillar could kill your chooks!    Caterpillar Revenge!

The wife has an obsession with the chooks, I wouldn't mind a thinning of the flock as long as they don't end up on my dinner plate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, G Rex said:

Hi.   This is the caterpillar of Daphnis hypothous - a beautiful Hawkmoth species - related to the Oleander Hawkmoth.  I have these on my desert roses too - but the plants recover quickly - and seeing the beauty of the larvae and the moths outweighs the temporary carnage! (IMO)

1D9FC701-87DC-4A7D-A2C6-4825BCE404B3.jpeg

My memory's going! Of course it's the Hawk Moth larva - I uploaded the first pic (somewhere) in 2015!  That moth was on a cactus.

I also uploaded the other pics at the same time showing my eaten Desert Rose and the dead larvae that I picked off it. 

But it did recover - so only one real attack in 7 years! I'll be keeping a sharp lookout for the next few weeks!

Edit: "Edit: any topical pyrethrum insecticidal spray will get rid of them" - Thanks!

image.jpeg

Desert Rose after Hawk Moth Larvae 2 rotated.jpg

Hawk Moth Larvae IMG_6043.JPG

Edited by JetsetBkk
Thanks
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The wife has an obsession with the chooks, I wouldn't mind a thinning of the flock as long as they don't end up on my dinner plate.

Python thinned our herd out, survivors got given to one of our

helpers, these were egg layers, costed more to feed them then what we got for the eggs

16 hours ago, G Rex said:

The other common food plant for this species is oleander.  If larvae are taken from this plant - the cardiac glycosides ingested by the caterpillar could kill your chooks!    Caterpillar Revenge!

I saw mention that one or the other of these two species was found in England (probably an escapee) feeding on Vinca minor - periwinkle, which I believe is also toxic, IIRC.

16 hours ago, Old Croc said:

My wife has somewhere around 40+ bantam chickens, many roosters.  She is going to thin the flock and probably get rid of them all, as they destroy the plantings.  She now chucks all the eggs so no more will hatch.  Recently one little hen seemed to inherit a bunch of eggs - she had about a dozen chicks following her!  Seems like cats or something get quite a few of the hatchlings.  On my recent 2 month visit to our house, I made friends with one old rooster and a couple others were getting used to me.

But back on track, these moths are beautiful!  I took an entomology course in college.  I admire those folks who can distinguish all these similar species, especially considering regional variations and whatnot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I saw mention that one or the other of these two species was found in England (probably an escapee) feeding on Vinca minor - periwinkle, which I believe is also toxic, IIRC.

The Daphnis genus are found throughout Europe, Asia, Northern Australia & Northern Africa.

Daphnis nerii, the Oleander Hawkmoth is a regularly found in the UK.  Daphnis nerii & D. hypothous can be found in Thailand. Sorry!  This is a passion of mine. I travelled, collected and studied moths for more than 40 years. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1