Thai PM urged to reconsider decriminalisation of cannabis

snoop1130

10 hours ago, Velisbef said:

Compared to the harm alcohol and other drugs do, cannabis is a much safer option. In my opinion controlling the distribution is the key here

Drugs don't do any harm if taking correctly It's the same for Legal or illegal ones,It's the peoples choice to get Smashed/high/OD. 

If you don't mind it doesn't matter either way. 

It's Not the Will power it's the Won't power that counts, Will take it .won't take it. 

One has to be in control of oneself. Not soft in the head /Weak.

I self medicate for my Osteoarthritis so it's up to me to not to go stupid with the heave meds and kill myself .

Moderation is the norm,All drugs have side effects. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

Need to get them off Yaba first .

Thailand is just one of many countries that are in the process of decriminalization of Cannabis . In other countries , no problems were reported after it became legal ?

Why in Thailand ? Is the population in other countries more mature ?

If , really , they are unable to find a consensus , let the Thai population vote .

Just as they do in Switzerland .

But , as the use of Cannabis has a long tradition in Thailand , the majority would probably in favor for the Legalization .

Thailand seems to be a country where people use things in excess once legalized.  In the US cannabis had been illegal for decades but still obtainable by middle school and high school kids.  When it became legal in some states it was not a big deal. Here in Thailand the youth saw it as something new, just like when kids find alcohol.

• Like 1

I have no problem with people smoking cannabis, or any other legal substances.
However, because the existing legislation on smoking is ignored by selfish dimwit smokers, I strongly object to being forced to endure second hand cannabis smoke (and second hand tobacco smoke) when I visit a bar.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Velisbef said:

Compared to the harm alcohol and other drugs do, cannabis is a much safer option. In my opinion controlling the distribution is the key here

So are you proposing to substitute weed for one of the other forms of drugs? Or are you quite happy to increase the total number available. And after weed which additional one or two do you want to add? 

32 minutes ago, Dr Jon said:

I have no problem with people smoking cannabis, or any other legal substances.
However, because the existing legislation on smoking is ignored by selfish dimwit smokers, I strongly object to being forced to endure second hand cannabis smoke (and second hand tobacco smoke) when I visit a bar.

I agree with your comment but no one forces you to go into a bar until the government change the law and ban smoking in public areas you will have to put up with it by the way I don’t indulge in any form of drugs unless coffee is classed as one !

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

They missed out on opening up weed businesses around the country and are jealous of those who had the brains to act quickly !

Canada legalized it maybe 4 years ago. The smoke has settled (pun intended) and it has been a financial disaster.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-have-lost-more-than-131-billion-investing-in-cannabis-companies-firm-1.6156722#:~:text=Canadians who invested in cannabis,traded and licenced cannabis producers.

Canadians who invested in cannabis companies have lost more than $131 billion, according to data collected by law firm Miller Thomson, which calculated the total losses of 183 publicly traded and licenced cannabis producers.

It’s a staggering number that if divided equally between an estimated three million active investors would equate to each losing about $43,000.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Party have, however, voiced strong objection to the bill, fearing that the decriminalisation of cannabis will lead to increased abuse among Thai youth.

Of course it will! That is a result of a failing society. Parents that do not care enough for their children and think school will take care of their work. Moreover, we have a system in the society that allows things to happen without a safety net.

However, that is no reason to make a good smoke illegal. Instead it´s a reason to fix the failing points in society. But, I guess that is far too hard to grasp. I have a rhyme for that one:

Point at single things and make them go away, and save the problems for another day.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I agree with your comment but no one forces you to go into a bar until the government change the law and ban smoking in public areas you will have to put up with it by the way I don’t indulge in any form of drugs unless coffee is classed as one !

Smoking indoors was made illegal twenty years ago. Five years ago it was made Illegal to smoke in the street near to a doorway.

53 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Canada legalized it maybe 4 years ago. The smoke has settled (pun intended) and it has been a financial disaster.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-have-lost-more-than-131-billion-investing-in-cannabis-companies-firm-1.6156722#:~:text=Canadians who invested in cannabis,traded and licenced cannabis producers.

Canadians who invested in cannabis companies have lost more than $131 billion, according to data collected by law firm Miller Thomson, which calculated the total losses of 183 publicly traded and licenced cannabis producers.

It’s a staggering number that if divided equally between an estimated three million active investors would equate to each losing about $43,000.

Canada has just done weed completely wrong. They could not even keep up with demand for a long time in the beginning! Remember that? That helped with stocks tanking. The USA is the poster child for legal weed. Just little tiny Massachusetts made over $2 billion in weed last year! 

Weed shops (legimate businesses) all over the place where tourist are found in Thailand and is operating smoothly and causing prosperity for many. If I was to be concerned about something, I would be very worried about the video showing children taking bong hits of cannabis! Who facilitated that situation? Because whoever it was should be identified and face justice.  Somebody bears responsibility for that video. 

• Like 1

Wish there were reliable statistics to show how many families have been wrecked by alcohol and how many by cannabis in 2021-2022. It is a storm in a teacup.

Clearly Thailand is conservative, but the number of jobs created by cannabis should sway the vote towards keeping it legal. Over time, it's use will be more acceptable.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Wish there were reliable statistics to show how many families have been wrecked by alcohol and how many by cannabis in 2021-2022. It is a storm in a teacup.

Clearly Thailand is conservative, but the number of jobs created by cannabis should sway the vote towards keeping it legal. Over time, it's use will be more acceptable.

Let us not get ahead of ourselves. It has only recently been removed from the list and needs time. The situation is really still in flux. Not sure it will  create many jobs relative to that of cultivating rice.