Anti-Drink Driving Foundation chief thanks Thai health minister Anutin for opposing 4am pub opening

webfact

15 hours ago, outsider said:

I thought Anutin was the only dumb one. Now there's more. People can be sloshed right up to 0200 hrs and start driving after that. Or, people can get wasted without going to the pubs. Get that doc? Thailand is still going to get its usual quota of accidents regardless of pubs' opening/closing hours. Blame enforcement and discipline.

But a 4am close would make it worse, no? Anutin is for this because he would prefer people smoke dope than waste away drinking till the small hours. 

11 hours ago, Purdey said:

In certain countries, the police sit in their car outside the pub. When they see someone exiting the bar they walk over before the guy starts the engine and breathalyse him. 

It stops a lot of drunks from driving. The time doesn't matter.

Wouldn’t work here. A lowly cop would not risk hassling the ‘wrong’ person. 

23 hours ago, webfact said:

60% of cases involved driving under the influence of alcohol and of those 80% were between 11pm and 2 am.

Two am closing was appropriate, he said, but 4 am would just make the situation worse adding that other societal issues such as crime would further degrade the Thais' quality of life.

I am in agreement.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, paulikens said:

Anutin opposed it before the meeting but i still haven't actually heard any news to what decision was made at  the meeting.         

what they don't seem to realise is that it is having an impact on tourism - nobody wants to come to Thailand if they being constantly harrassed by police at 2am and 12- 1am  being around the time they are ready for a nightclub/disco - hardly much point going for 30mins is there, before covid there were many places open and busy for those that wanted it ........... what changed ??????? - stupid got firm grip on things and as usual fail to see the harm they are doing

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 9:15 PM, LALes said:

It is precisely the lack of law enforcement why I am against the 4am closing.  It has nothing to do with drunks on the road and everything to do with drunks in the neighborhood keeping everyone awake with their obnoxious howling and lack of concern for anyone but themselves.  The proposed 4am law limited to "entertainment districts" is all right in theory but will never be enforced by Thai authorities.  Every 2-bit neighborhood bar will be riding the coattails of the big clubs and residents will have no recourse.

yawn