British ex-teacher, 78, and his boyfriend, 27, killed in horror car crash in Thailand

webfact

Another sad and highly avoidable death scene on the roads of LOS ????

It matters not to these poor folks who are dead now that I share this but maybe it will others;

I never turn across the traffic unless I can time my turn without stopping NEVER! 

If I have to I drive as far as I need to down the road to turn into another street or a gas station or some such easy in-and-out location so as to never stop dead in the road to turn right, I do it.

I never make exceptions for this driving practice.

I've nearly been rear-ended here and in other nations and learnt such prudence ... despite, mind-you, indicating properly, with plenty of distance to the turn, slowing my vehicle sanely steadily and incrementally to slow the traffic behind me and also signal and touch my brake pedal on and off too if I think its necessary to signal more visibly to others I intend to turn, and I switch my vision rapidly to and from front windscreen to rear mirrors constantly until I cross the centreline and am out of the rear traffics path.  

I also watch. my right mirror for the idiot that decides to overtake as you turn (that's happened to me here about 4 or 5 times in the last few years since driving a car here) - bikes mostly and as many falang tourist nitwits as Thai's.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

If I have to I drive as far as I need to down the road to turn into another street or a gas station or some such easy in-and-out location so as to never stop dead in the road to turn right, I do it.

Yes I would often bypass where I actually wanted to turn as there was a safer place a little down the road where I can get onto spare land where I can get in and then wait for a large gap.... Thais are very very adverse to going further than they need  to, and will take crazy short cuts to save a few yards. 

3 hours ago, tgw said:

the aims of such reporting is to cause precisely what you described, so the story causes a divisive stir on social media so it gets shared online by the members of the lowest layers of society.

Not very nice thing to say about AN. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:
18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Two solid yellow lines mean no passing. Never drive to the left of these lines.

Shouldn't this be 'right', not 'left'?

Are you Bangkok Barry?

image.png.dc57da120bbb1e708bba7a23f7f73064.png

Neeranam this is the second time you have addressed me about quotes that I never made! Did you have a few last night or what?

No, I am not NanLaew and no, I am not Bangkok Barry. But yes I can drive!

Please check to ensure that you're addressing answers to the right poster. I have better things to do with my time.

Have a nice day.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Neeranam this is the second time you have addressed me about quotes that I never made! Did you have a few last night or what?

No, I am not NanLaew and no, I am not Bangkok Barry. But yes I can drive!

Please check to ensure that you're addressing answers to the right poster. I have better things to do with my time.

Have a nice day.

I have better things to do to! 

I asked Bangkok Barry if he could drive, not you. 

image.png.e9262d31c62ac4e83038a4536aeebacc.png

It is better to use the Quote function instead of writing out what someone else said. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

as we all know big age differences are very common among expat couples and married people here

51 years age difference is extremely unusual. 

(They were not living in Soi Buakhao.)

Anything more than 30 years is frowned upon. This is not 2012 anymore, when Isan girls wanted a farang husband, no matter what age. 

I am talking about relationships with farang based on financial gains.

Relationships between Thais who are not in it only for the money:

age differences are not big, let's say 10 years. 

Contrary to some western countries, here the woman is allowed to be several years older than the man.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lorry said:

51 years age difference is extremely unusual. 

(They were not living in Soi Buakhao.)

Anything more than 30 years is frowned upon. This is not 2012 anymore, when Isan girls wanted a farang husband, no matter what age. 

I am talking about relationships with farang based on financial gains.

Don't think those rules apply to gay couples.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It is better to use the Quote function instead of writing out what someone else said. 

If you want to lift  a quote from someone's post, you need to go back to the original post and use that one. If you lift it from someone else's post, as you did with the one from LanLaew it will attributed it to the responder, not the originator. 

The same thing happened with the Bangkok Barry post even though I hadn't even seen that one. In fact he's on my ignore list so I wouldn't. But it still came to me, not him.

I'm not getting at you, I know that it's a flaw in the system that has never been addressed.

Take care.

????

On 12/14/2022 at 6:25 AM, AhFarangJa said:

Thailand has one of the world's worst road safety records. Ministers have set the goal of reducing fatalities from 32.7 deaths per 100,000 people to 12 per 100,000 people by the year 2027.

However, a lack of road safety education in schools, cheap loans for cars, notoriously easy driving tests, police failures to enforce road laws as well as endemic corruption and chronic under-investment in infrastructure hamper the efforts.

Another couple of innocent people join the tally. The supporting paragraph in The Mail sums it up perfectly. 

R.I.P. 

A agree with your comment, but I think you missed one important reason, why there are so many traffic accidents in Thailand. It's getting the driving licence.

1. In my home country you must show not only that you are able to drive a car, how to turn left and right, how to overrtake , knowing the essentials of the traffic law etc. For receiving the driver license you must answer to a lot of questions concerning the traffic on the streets etc.
  2. After that you must show in reality by driving the car many minutes on the streets, that you are able to drive a car without any real problem.

If you are able to do this successfully (#1+2) you receive the licence. Corruption impossible, you cannot "buy" such a document. The serious Thai (traffic) problem ????

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, Tarteso said:

Try to read again my post: 

“Try to explain to Thais what’s lines and zebras meaning on the roads”.

I am generalizing.  I didn't mention anything about this case.????

"I am generalizing".

Well, now you are!  Your original comment contained no hints that you were posting an off-topic, Thai-bashing generalisation!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 12/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, SomchaiDIY said:
On 12/14/2022 at 11:57 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

What you showed in your "simple sketch" does not show zebra crossing markings, which cross roads from kerb to kerb, they do not run parallel to the road!  Neither does the photo show unbroken white lines that the Yaris was being driven across.  That you chose to make them unbroken in your simple but inaccurate sketch means nothing.

Expand  

driver was making turn right at this coordinates

15.237751, 104.999295

Thank you for confirming that there were no unbroken white lines or zebra crossing markings which is what I posted.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, Moonlover said:

the Yaris driver was driving without due attention to what was going on ahead.

And thirdly the Pick up driver is doing what so many do here and driving in the righthand lane when he should on the left unless overtaking.

"the Yaris driver was driving without due attention to what was going on ahead".

What was going on ahead was irrelevant considering that he was pushed into the oncoming traffic by the Honda.

"the Pick up driver is doing what so many do here and driving in the righthand lane when he should on the left unless overtaking".

He wasn't overtaking a vehicle in the left lane?    How could you know that?

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It is seen here but, no, it is not "normal". 

Normal is a loaded word 

How about fairly common?

27 is fully adult by any standard.

I would say from an anthropological POV that it is definitely in the range of normality for older males that have the status / monet power to seek out youthful attractive partners. Obviously with same sex there is no reproductive factor with that but the brain wiring is the same. Gay and straight men have a lot more in common than differences.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Normal is a loaded word 

How about fairly common?

27 is fully adult by any standard.

I would say from an anthropological POV that it is definitely in the range of normality for older males that have the status / monet power to seek out youthful attractive partners. Obviously with same sex there is no reproductive factor with that but the brain wiring is the same. Gay and straight men have a lot more in common than differences.

If you say so.

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you say so.

I do say so and kindly quit stalking me with haha emoticons.

Don't flatter yourself, I'm not stalking you and the emoticons are, obviously, there to be used, just as you so frequently do.  I'm surprised that you have any concern about what opinion emoticons some inconsequential poster uses.    I notice that you don't accuse me of stalking you when I use the "Like, Thumbs-up, Love It or Thanks" emoticons!  Selective accusations of stalking.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1