Savanakhet Non O report

42 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

glad it's only once per year!

...and potentially 17 months (1 year plus 90 days last exit before expiry, followed by a 60 days extension to visit wife).

Edited by mark5335

51 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

It's much less hassle than extensions and dealing with immigration IMO.

So the reports are starting again! That´s great for all without options. However, usually the reason is not connected to any hassle. Mostly the visa runners does just not have what it takes economically to sort it out with regular extensions without leaving the country.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So the reports are starting again! That´s great for all without options. However, usually the reason is not connected to any hassle. Mostly the visa runners does just not have what it takes economically to sort it out with regular extensions without leaving the country.

What you wrote makes no sense whatsoever, as "agent-assisted" extensions are also an option for those who don't meet the financial requirements. Saves both the hassle and the visa running. 

44 minutes ago, Caldera said:

What you wrote makes no sense whatsoever, as "agent-assisted" extensions are also an option for those who don't meet the financial requirements. Saves both the hassle and the visa running. 

Yes, but it´s not in compliance with the immigration law, is it? Never mind, take the risk.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Are you kidding me? There have been plenty of reports on here in the past of those opting for multi-entry non-O's for marriage from Savannakhet in preference to submitting themselves to particular hassle-generating whims of their local immigration offices in processing applications for marriage extensions of stay  - each year, I should hasten to point out, and not just the first time - including (1) having 2 or 3 neighbours accompany them so as to verify the authenticity of their marriage, (2) having immigration officers perform home visits and (3) being forced to comply with over-fussy photographic requirements.

Oj, oj, oj, oj! How terrible.

2 hours ago, ozfarang said:

So you know @Gottfridwhy people do visa runs do you?

I'd say you are just generalising and are probably way off the mark. But you are entitled to your ill informed opinion

Yes, quite informed. Did it that way myself for two years, just to travel with family that wanted to see what Laos had to offer. One year to Vientiane and 1 to Savannakhet. Talked with a lot of foreigners there that admitted what I am posting here.

Thanks,  nice report. 

How are things getting along in the Laos side?

I was just curious. 

I always enjoyed those trips getting out of Thailand and enjoying a dinner out there. 

It was pretty slow before Covid.

MERRY XMAS!

54 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

The document the OP was asked for was Kor Ror 2

Incorrect, a KR2 is proof from the amphur that the marraige is still valid, nothing to do with a name change.

Also been to get Non O at Savankhet many times, not once asked for KR2, but for marriage extension it was one of the 100,000,000,000,001 documents they demanded.

54 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Savannakhet is not boring, only if one is unimaginative. The restaurants and live music down by the river are the places to go.

They only open 1500-1600 ish, so from when you wake up until then what would you suggest?

Edited by PJ71

41 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

How are things getting along in the Laos side?

Only place went to eat was Loas Riverside i think it was call, as the name suggests right on the river, nice place to sit and have a few beers as the sun drops. Some of the views can be spectacular depending on sunset.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

So the reports are starting again! That´s great for all without options.

Garbage, people do what suits them best, but there has always been an elitist view with extensions.

I did my first 6 years in Thailand on ME visas, just got a new one every year when I went back to the UK, all very easy. Only downside, I filled up my passport in 3 years.

I got caught up in the passport fiasco of 2014 and was forced into getting an extension to remain in the country. In the 8 years since then I have had marriage extensions, retirement extensions and a few visas, the last in Aug this year.

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

And probably costs considerably more than what the OP did.

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And probably costs considerably more than what the OP did.

Non O

- hotels in Savankhet - 4800

- gas - 2500

- visa fee 5000

- food / drinks / misc - 4/5K

Total = 18K +/-

Extension

fee  - 1900

multiple re-entry permit - 3800

bung for Poo Yai Baan - 1000

Total = 7K +/-

2.5 times the price / 100% less stress / 100% less faffing about.

For me it's Non O at Savanakhet every time, to each their own.

If i was not a regular traveller i'd probably do the extension but....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

one form he did ask for that's not mentioned on website and i've not been asked for before is the document for wifey to change from Thai to western name, i had a photo on my phone but got the impression he was not too concerned, will take with me next time.

On the back of my marriage certificate there is a statement to the effect that the female party informs to use her own surname. There were reasons at the time which went away some years later and then after 10 years made the change.

If someone was to read the back of the marriage certificate and then look at her ID card there is potentially a problem so always something to bear in mind.

7 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Wrong. It is actually more expensive to do a visa run than an extension. I could just as easily say that people who do extensions are just scraping by and can't afford to do a visa run or that they are too nervous to cross a land border. I would be wrong of course , just as wrong as someone who thinks people do visa runs do so only because they haven't got 400,000. 

I loved doing them. 5 or 6 nights away from home, traveling to another country with the wife, checking out interesting sites on the way. We would give up doing extensions tomorrow and go back to visa runs but can no longer do so because the MIL is now needing 24 hour care.

Luckily , our immigration office is very friendly so the extension is pretty easy experience. But I have lived in places where the immigration officers were rude and corrupt and a nightmare to deal with. Pot luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

Savannakhet is not boring, only if one is unimaginative. The restaurants and live music down by the river are the places to go.

Yup. We really like it there. Great food , cheap wine . laid back atmosphere , good night market to sit and people watch surrounded by colonial building. Hell, if I wasn't married I'd like to live there. Like rural Thailand 40 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Denim said:

Like rural Thailand 40 years ago

I live in rural Thailand and love it, don't know if i would have 40 years ago tho.

Nowadays you can get almost anything delivered in a couple of days that you can't find locally and having FO makes life good for communication and media options.

22 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Non O

- hotels in Savankhet - 4800

- gas - 2500

- visa fee 5000

- food / drinks / misc - 4/5K

Me

- hotel in Savannakhet - 1600 (countless positive reviews)

- gas - 500 (100 minutes from home)

- visa fee 5000

- food/drinks/misc 2000 for two

I prefer the extension route though.

4 hours ago, Denim said:

Wrong. It is actually more expensive to do a visa run than an extension. I could just as easily say that people who do extensions are just scraping by and can't afford to do a visa run or that they are too nervous to cross a land border. I would be wrong of course , just as wrong as someone who thinks people do visa runs do so only because they haven't got 400,000. 

I loved doing them. 5 or 6 nights away from home, traveling to another country with the wife, checking out interesting sites on the way. We would give up doing extensions tomorrow and go back to visa runs but can no longer do so because the MIL is now needing 24 hour care.

Luckily , our immigration office is very friendly so the extension is pretty easy experience. But I have lived in places where the immigration officers were rude and corrupt and a nightmare to deal with. Pot luck.

Yeah terrible for you! You are probably one of the good guys. Most of the foreigners I have seen at the Laos consulates and embassy were there all alone. Talking girls all the time. Drinking their socks of, and was behaving just like the normal bar stool foreigner in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Garbage, people do what suits them best, but there has always been an elitist view with extensions.

I did my first 6 years in Thailand on ME visas, just got a new one every year when I went back to the UK, all very easy. Only downside, I filled up my passport in 3 years.

I got caught up in the passport fiasco of 2014 and was forced into getting an extension to remain in the country. In the 8 years since then I have had marriage extensions, retirement extensions and a few visas, the last in Aug this year.

No, it´s not garbage. Seems like you found that out as you say you could not do what suits you best. Good for you. Hope you learned something.

49 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah terrible for you! You are probably one of the good guys. Most of the foreigners I have seen at the Laos consulates and embassy were there all alone. Talking girls all the time. Drinking their socks of, and was behaving just like the normal bar stool foreigner in Thailand.

Most of the foreigners i have seen at Thai consulates in asia have been other asians.

over the years i'd guess out of the people i've seen it's been max 5% farangs.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

did savanakhet thai embassy non-o visa for 3-4 times. 

never gave my laos visa. never asked. 

rest of the list is correct

Embassy needing copy of Lao visa is BS. Probably someone has copied the Lao visa to carry around with him/her while their passport is in the Thai embassy for 24 hours. Some body then tells someone else and very quickly the 'Chinese Whisper' becomes a visa requirement.

I've never ever been asked to show a copy of the Lao visa. Also, nor have I been asked for any signed photo copies by my wife. What would be the point in that anyway. They don't have a copy of my wife's signature to compare anything to it.