URGENT - VAT SCAM at large - advice please . . . .

TorquayFan

The Bangkok Post (which must not be linked here) has an article about a scam call center in Cambodia near the Thai border.

These centers were supplied with internet connection cross border from Thailand.

On the Thai side the technical infrastructure has been raided and shut down.

But there are no details about the nature/method of the scam gangs.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

Neer thanks and yes you can block - OR CUT THE CALL!

Myran - yes I wonder and asked her several times, but she was quite traumatised by the event and maybe we'll learn more later.

What shocked me was the Bank report that this was happening often!

Thanks Guys

• Like 1

We have more blocked spam numbers on our phones than the yellow pages has telephone numbers, it would be a fluke of nature that anyone we know could ever contact us by phone, let alone anyone we don't know. Callers get one chance and 5 seconds at most before they are blocked, that's all, overseas calls don't even get answered, just blocked. My phone is for making calls, not receiving them, unless you are known to me.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless the Missus did not - by mistake of course - clean out the balance between was left after borrowing the daughter the 50 grand ......... or even asked the daughter to withdraw the 50 grand herself and return the ATM card (or phone) later on while forgetting to mention the remaining balance being transferred as well ..........

As one comment said, unless you are fluent enough to understand the entire conversation, the Missus might have given out the bank details (possibly even in good faith) and now, due to a complete loss of face (and of lesser importance, the money) she has "forgotten" this tiny detail. 

I get spam calls almost daily and I answer all phone calls, even those where I do not know the caller's number (like courier delivery boys, new customers etc.). A spam caller is kindly requested to hold the line for me to finish quickly something else and then I just put the phone down, leave the connection open until the caller realized that (s)he has been taken for a ride. Some call a second time, the longest someone waited was a solid 48 minutes but usually those who I hanged out to dry do not call ever again. 

The bank can certainly tell you, how the balance got booked off the account; take it from there! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night a Friend told the Wife that she too had lost B7000 to this scam. She recalled then two people chatting at the other end of the phone, (which made it all sound relaxed I suppose), when it happened.

Also heard of victims details being used to approach other contacts for a personal loan for some reason - she is going to tell her Friends if that request appears, it won't be her.

One more question please - is it advisable for her to close the existing Bank a/c and reopen a new one - the thought being that the Scammer already has her details?

As I say, lesson learned ! ATB

29 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Last night a Friend told the Wife that she too had lost B7000 to this scam. She recalled then two people chatting at the other end of the phone, (which made it all sound relaxed I suppose), when it happened.

Also heard of victims details being used to approach other contacts for a personal loan for some reason - she is going to tell her Friends if that request appears, it won't be her.

One more question please - is it advisable for her to close the existing Bank a/c and reopen a new one - the thought being that the Scammer already has her details?

As I say, lesson learned ! ATB

It sounds like the app download compromises the PIN, at a minimum that should be changed. Next I would consult urgently with your bank and ask them what other steps you should take.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Somehow your account got compromised . Somehow someone got the account number.  All you can basically do is change the account number.  From the call you received . If it was related somehow someone got access to your personal information also. You  will probably never know how it happened or who was responsible. 
About five years ago both my credit and debit cards from the same bank in the states had false charges. Both my cards were in my possession.  Never knew what happened. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

About five years ago both my credit and debit cards from the same bank in the states had false charges. Both my cards were in my possession.  Never knew what happened. 

Your bank knows, 

If the charges were by entering the account number (Not using the actual card). Or using duplicated card (needs the code on the card). 

• Thanks 1