Need Advice about the Wool Kilt, for Informal Wear, or Wearing at Home

GammaGlobulin

Dear Friends,

As most of you know, I, like many other farang here in Thailand, enjoy walking around my house without too much restricting clothing. In summer months, normally I just use a towel tied casually around my waist, if that.

I am not unlike many YouTubers I have heard from who, similarly, enjoy walking around, inside their homes, without a stitch on, especially when the temps get high.

Sometimes, when I need to venture forth into my kitchen or living room, then I just easily cover myself with a towel. Wearing clothes during the Hot Season is really just too uncomfortable. Wearing shorts, even, gives me a rash around the waist, and even in the crotch.

This is why, during the Hot Season and the Raining Season, I prefer to go commando in my study and in my bedroom areas, and then just don a towel in the living room and in the kitchen while cooking.

Now, however, the Cold Season is upon us, and the Cold Season, this year, seems likely to be colder than last year, and maybe even as cold as the Cold Season of 2013/2014, if you recall that winter. It was super cold, and the cold winds from China were often strong.

This is why I am hoping to buy a few kilts, heavier wooly ones for the Cold Season, and a few lightweight wooly kilts for the Raining Season.

As far as I can tell, nobody on ThaiVisa has yet posted this question concerning where to buy kilts, what might be the best kilts for use in Thailand, and what might they cost?

One more thing:  As men age and become old, it really is true that most men prefer to not wear clothes, too much.  And then, these same old men take to wandering around in their pajama bottoms, or underwear.  Why this is, I do not know.  However, I guess it might be because aging causes the skin to become thinner, which, in turn, may cause old men to become more sensitive to tight-fitting clothing.  There could be a multiplicity of reasons for the simple fact that old men prefer to not wear much clothing.

It seems to me that an old man in a kilt looks far handsomer, and less of an eyesore, while wearing a kilt, rather than just wearing any old underpants, something we see far too often.

This winter, I would like to have two or three kilts, easily washable.

Probably it is too much to expect that I can find premium quality wool quilts.

Any advice about this?

What kind of wrap-around do you wear?

So many women love their skirts.

Men, on the other hand, have few options.

It’s just not fair.

Regards,

Gamma

Please note, as well:  As we age, the less flexibility we seem to have. Perhaps this is why old men prefer wrap-around garments, instead of shorts.  It's just not as easy as it once was to stand on one leg and put one's foot through trousers or shorts.  If you are  not as old as I, then you have no idea....!

• Like 1

I would have thought that a sarong type of garment would be preferable, cheaper and easier to find here in Thailand than a kilt. Even in the cooler months.  Many men in the south wear them.

I doubt a kilt would be that much warmer. Especially if you wear it as it apparently is supposed to be worn; without underwear.

Edited by phetphet

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I would have thought that a sarong type of garment would be preferable, cheaper and easier to find here in Thailand than a kilt. Even in the cooler months.  Many men in the south wear them.

I doubt a kilt would be that much warmer. Especially if you wear it as it apparently is supposed to be worn; without underwear.

Underwear? 

No need unless one is wearing a cashmere wool suit and tie. 

What you need is a selection of sarongs , I wear them all the time ,

but only in and around the house ,not brave enough to wear it to

the Mall , people maybe saying who is that Burmese Farang .

Some of them even have a near tartan effect ,not expensive,

got mine from Mae Sai , bu sure you can find in bigger markets.

Regards Worgeordie

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

What you need is a selection of sarongs , I wear them all the time ,

but only in and around the house ,not brave enough to wear it to

the Mall , people maybe saying who is that Burmese Farang .

Some of them even have a near tartan effect ,not expensive,

got mine from Mae Sai , bu sure you can find in bigger markets.

Regards Worgeordie

Like you, I would not venture outside the house in anything less than trousers and an Oxford cloth button down, blue, white, mint, or pink.

Mostly blue, though.

Interesting topic.

What some older men do is cut their shorts and wear them as a kilt. Saves a lot of bother when putting them on, and going to the loo.

The problem I have with proper kilts, is the actual colours and patterns. Someone could easily be offended by seeing a 'rival's' colours. Sort of waring clans of old, or footy teams. Or even religious reasons. Look at the uproar, a while back, when a politician said that the Pope wore red socks . Some people get offended by colours and symbolism.

Have to be careful out there. When some people are fuelled up with Lao Khow anything can happen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please note, as well:  As we age, the less flexibility we seem to have. Perhaps this is why old men prefer wrap-around garments, instead of shorts.  It's just not as easy as it once was to stand on one leg and put one's foot through trousers or shorts.  If you are  not as old as I, then you have no idea....!

Sorry thats all in your head and an attitude of mind.

You can exercise and maintain mobility at any age.

If you think old you'll be old, use it or lose it !

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Having worked/lived in Burma for many years, I'm quite used to wearing a Paso (that's a male longyi).  I currently teach Burmese kids on Koh Phangan, and wearing a Paso (boys) or longyi (girls) is the norm.

Fashion/form should, ideally, follow function. 

On 12/17/2022 at 3:56 PM, simon43 said:

Having worked/lived in Burma for many years, I'm quite used to wearing a Paso (that's a male longyi).  I currently teach Burmese kids on Koh Phangan, and wearing a Paso (boys) or longyi (girls) is the norm.

I started wearing a sarong when living in Singapore and continued doing so in LOS. If it's good enough for the locals it was good enough for me.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I started wearing a sarong when living in Singapore and continued doing so in LOS. If it's good enough for the locals it was good enough for me.

I agree.

But, choice of textiles is crucial.

No synthetic fibers should ever be used.

Synthetic fibers are produced from petroleum, in most cases.

Put gas in your gas tank, and not on your body.

I never drape my body in plastics.

Wearing plastic is for morons.