Party on for New Year, say Bangkok officials, but don’t forget your face mask

webfact

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
On 12/17/2022 at 1:38 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Its the ‘contagion effect’ and prevalent in conformist societies.

What surprises me is the degree of conformity exampled by so many people still wearing masks, no one wants to be the ‘odd one out’ and take their mask off.....  So we have this mass conformity. 

Meanwhile, we see overwhelming lawlessness on the roads etc (not wearing helmets, jumping lights etc).... Thailand really is an enigma.

Well done, nonsense, deflection and strawman arguments all intertwined. 

Why do you think the majority of Thai’s are still wearing masks when most of the rest of the world isn’t ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why do you think the majority of Thai’s are still wearing masks when most of the rest of the world isn’t ?

Re-ask that question and use all of Asia and South East Asia.  It is not just Thailand.  Have you been to the Phillipines lately?  I was there 3 weeks ago and 95% are mask wearing including many expats. It is only a majority of the tourists who are not wearing them. Covid is still prevalent and the PM 2.5 is very bad in places.

BKK  right now.

Screenshot_20221219_101229.jpg

18 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

One of your many issues apparently. I’m not paranoid,,I feel no discomfort and I am not limited in any way by wearing a mask. This weird obsession of yours could probably do with some therapy.

Thanks. Based upon your recommendation I booked several psychiatric sessions with a shrink who specializes in MAT (mask aversion therapy), and DNN (denial of new normal). 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because they worry about Covid infections I guess.

It is their business....their choice.

Also masks are still being worn in places like Japan, China...South Korea.

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 1:15 PM, webfact said:

. Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt says revellers will still be required to wear face masks if gathering in crowded areas on the night.

Did Chadchart actually say this at all, or was it just inserted by the BP? The articles don't quote him syaing it. 

He is no fan of the masking and wants it ended. 

To answer the question posed elsewhere in the thread, no, there is no mandate / law in effect relating to masks in Thailand. 

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

You moved to Thailand for a "normal life"?

How's that working out for you?

Beside the corona-mania from the last 3 years, very good. I pay no taxes legally due to territorial taxation system. I enjoy good weather. My wife and daughter enjoys freedom and safety. No neighbors that complain about everything.

Thanks for asking ???? 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Because they worry about Covid infections I guess.

It is their business....their choice.

Also masks are still being worn in places like Japan, China...South Korea.

Wow, you managed to mention the only other 3 countries (out of 200) where masks are still being worn 

32 minutes ago, FarAway said:

Beside the corona-mania from the last 3 years, very good. I pay no taxes legally due to territorial taxation system. I enjoy good weather. My wife and daughter enjoys freedom and safety. No neighbors that complain about everything.

Thanks for asking ???? 

Yet as you've stated your throwing in the towel and moving....so what's the real issue 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet as you've stated your throwing in the towel and moving....so what's the real issue 

I did not decided yet. It is difficult. Because, where to go?

Europe is on the binge of a war with NATO/Russia. Beside that, even in normal times, the whole EU is a super-surveillance mechanism and not nice to live. Your kids are essentially owned by the government there.

Africa is a <deleted>hole and dangerous.

South America same as above, only Paraguay a nice option that I am considering. Many freedom-loving communities built there already.

USA/Australia/New Zealand are nanny-states like EU where you cannot enjoy any real freedom. Yes the population fought successfully back on COVID, vaccines and masks, but in general the government there is very controlling, as in Europe.

Caribbean countries were an option 3 years ago, but right now the drug crime and gang wars there are out of control as well. House break-ins, sometimes in combination with murder, from the blacks in the white peoples house now very common as well.

So yeah, it is really difficult to find a nice, free and safe place in 2022 to live in.

I liked Thailand before COVID, best combination of tax-free country with safety and personal freedom, but now it is slowly but surely turning in a light version of China. But where to go otherwise? I am just not sure, but I am 100% sure that this COVID mania in Thailand is absolutely crazy and I will mention this at any chance I will get.

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 5:02 PM, sandyf said:

Quite, and have you noticed it is the most opinionated that want to deny others the right to make up their own mind.

I think it’s funny that you think Thais are making up their own mind on this. They are doing it out of conformity. The fact they remove them in an instant in farang focused venues or in the company of farang or at farang owned business confirms this. Asking them confirms it more. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/19/2022 at 5:11 PM, jacko45k said:

Something wrong with attention to detail?

It’s interesting to look at cases in those 3 places too. 

China and Japan leading the world in current daily cases per million. 

Also RE Thailand interesting to look at its excess death rate. It argues low cases and deaths and attributes that to its Covid response - although many have doubted the numbers - but it’s excess deaths are well above other countries with similarly good Covid responses. Countries that haven’t used masks in ages. So maybe the masks are pointless theatre as the data suggests elsewhere. Since attention to detail is your thing ???? 

Edited by sandrew33

On 12/18/2022 at 10:07 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Yet that won't stop the forums anti-maskers from saying there is no law and blah blah blah.....well said @internationalism

“Anti-maskers”? Surely we are all anti mask in the sense that all things being equal we wouldn’t wear them. I mean why would anyone wear them if, for example, they were pointless. It’d almost make folk an object of ridicule at that point right? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sandrew33 said:

It’s interesting to look at cases in those 3 places too. 

China and Japan leading the world in current daily cases per million. 

Yes, keeping Covid at bay in those countriess is now coming home to roost... so many never infected, and in the case of China, vaccines that are rumoured to be less effective. (And other vaccines that are not as effective against Omicron infection). 

“Anti-maskers”? Surely we are all anti mask in the sense that all things being equal we wouldn’t wear them. I mean why would anyone wear them if, for example, they were pointless. It’d almost make folk an object of ridicule at that point right? 

But they are not, so your point is moot....

To ridicule someone for choosing to wear a mask is in itself ignorant.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, sandrew33 said:

I think it’s funny that you think Thais are making up their own mind on this. They are doing it out of conformity. The fact they remove them in an instant in farang focused venues or in the company of farang or at farang owned business confirms this. Asking them confirms it more. 

Your GF will say anything you want to hear.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

But they are not, so your point is moot....

To ridicule someone for choosing to wear a mask is in itself ignorant.

Well, there is literally no evidence that mask mass wearing anywhere has achieved anything and the current situations in China and Japan illustrate that perfectly. 

There is certainly evidence that in controlled circumstances including certain types of masks worn perfectly for defined (short) periods they have some impact. But that’s not what people are doing in Thailand or anywhere else. So they are in fact pointless. 

I understand you can’t bring yourself to grasp that so here we are ???? 

i don’t care if people wear them by the way, just when they either force others to or coerce others to (which is the Thai way) 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your GF will say anything you want to hear.

And my 1300 co workers? 

In our building people wear them to enter as it’s a large commercial building but once they hit our floors they largely take them off. I’d suggest maybe 20% wear them in the office and 99% wear them to enter and leave the office. 

Summarising the most common observation it’s “it’s easier for Thai to just wear them so other people don’t scold” 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, keeping Covid at bay in those countriess is now coming home to roost... so many never infected, and in the case of China, vaccines that are rumoured to be less effective. (And other vaccines that are not as effective against Omicron infection). 

Right. But the masks aren’t helping are they? 

This is the point. 

I got stuck for much of Covid in WA, so barely worn a mask in 3 years. The only time we wore them was when we reopened the borders. We wore them for a couple of months as case soared. Then we stopped wearing them and cases plummeted. 

That’s how waves work. 

Once Covid particularly since Omicron is in a location masks are a largely futile. But many will assign value to them on the “it could have been worse” or the “at least we did something” arguments. I get that. There’s just no real world evidence that mass mask wearing has done anything v Omicron. 

• Love It 1

Covid on the rise in tourist areas?  maybe   its  due to   Thais coming to tourist areas working,   many un- vaccinated  elderly Thais  in the villages,    plus thousands of Thais returning to the villages  for New year, lets see if there is another rise early 2023...

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Walking Street in Pattaya was packed last night. Not quite to the level of new years eve a few years ago but close. We got turned away from several bars as they were full. No masks anywhere.

As it should be. Good to hear. I’ll be down there in a couple of weeks. My only concern is the health of a certain member of a certain family and whether that will result in more interruptions to things for a period of time. 

As it should be. Good to hear. I’ll be down there in a couple of weeks. My only concern is the health of a certain member of a certain family and whether that will result in more interruptions to things for a period of time. 

Just be aware that the bar areas are not representative of the rest of Pattaya.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's got nothing whatsoever to do with masks or Covid!

You still believe that? Pattaya Fire works canceled, Chonburi shutting some things and now Khao San Road closing down the new years count down event. It can not be because of deferring for a specific individual I am afraid. Whatever the BP article alludes to as a Thai Fragile mood is to be what the root cause is. To me that's the possibility of a 2020 replay from certain events. Tell me please how the health concerns of one person could cause the whole country to stop certain events and decorations. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

You still believe that? Pattaya Fire works canceled, Chonburi shutting some things and now Khao San Road closing down the new years count down event. It can not be because of deferring for a specific individual I am afraid. Whatever the BP article alludes to as a Thai Fragile mood is to be what the root cause is. To me that's the possibility of a 2020 replay from certain events. Tell me please how the health concerns of one person could cause the whole country to stop certain events and decorations. 

If Thailand is shutting down events for Covid then it needs to announce it to the world so that grown ups can make decisions to go to more sensible countries ????