Places where Thai people can get advices and help to stop drug addiction in Pattaya

candide

Are there some places, centers, NGOs, etc.. where Thai people can get counselling and help for stopping drug addiction. If possible without risk to be denounced to the police?

I am trying to help someone on that matter, but cannot access the right information. What I found on the Internet were (probably expensive) places aimed at foreigners.

• Like 1

In the UK  they are focused on ' needle exchange programmes ' and other stuff to try to avoid other health issues brought about by dirty needles such as HIV etc.

Our NHS has neither funds nor staff power to combat the explosion in drug use.

In Thailand there are a few temples, but many of these tend to aim at foreigners, (not all by any means ) are expensive, concentrate on isolating the patient in remote conditions and removing them completely from society, I have no idea of success rates.

The problem with the above idea is as soon as they are back in normal surroundings and the temptations are there again, they fall back into drug addiction.

The scourge of Thailand is "Yaa Baa" and made worse by its ready supply and it's cheap to buy.

The authorities do not really seem to have dedicated government funds or policies towards rehabilitation and tend to focus more on punishing the ' users ' with very limited effect.

As a prison guard once said in mixed company, ' It's not our job to help/treat/rehabilitate them, it's our job to keep then in here '

Edited by Scouse123

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

In the UK  they are focused on ' needle exchange programmes ' and other stuff to try to avoid other health issues brought about by dirty needles such as HIV etc.

Our NHS has neither funds nor staff power to combat the explosion in drug use.

In Thailand there are a few temples, but many of these tend to aim at foreigners, (not all by any means ) are expensive, concentrate on isolating the patient in remote conditions and removing them completely from society, I have no idea of success rates.

The problem with the above idea is as soon as they are back in normal surroundings and the temptations are there again, they fall back into drug addiction.

The scourge of Thailand is "Yaa Baa" and made worse by its ready supply and it's cheap to buy.

The authorities do not really seem to have dedicated government funds or policies towards rehabilitation and tend to focus more on punishing the ' users ' with very limited effect.

As a prison guard once said in mixed company, ' It's not our job to help/treat/rehabilitate them, it's our job to keep then in here '

one thing that got to me was a girl i knew got onto yaba via a shady falang, we think it's Thai men but it's also low life farang. She went into a downward spiral, no idea if still alive

• Thumbs Up 1

If she is in Pattaya and that is her lifestyle then you do not want to try treatment in Pattaya.  That would be equal to trying to quit smoking and working in a tobacco shop.

If she wants to with them look at some of the outside areas and do not move her back to Pat's up

Can't find the bhuddist drug rehab that is famous.

Can anyone please post.

I think that is what op is looking for 

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 2

I don't know if what I am about to say is more appropriately described as "professor of the obvious" or "don't shoot the messenger" type of opinion.

These are just opinions but they are based on experience with multiple family members and friends over the years.

Addicts often find it almost impossible to quit an addiction even when they sincerely want to quit.

An early casualty of addiction is truth.

Addicts don't just lie to their family and friends, more importantly they lie to themselves.

"Yes, but my case is different" is how they often look at their addiction relative to other addicts.

Probably the person lies to you.

It is not unusual for families to end up having to cut all ties with the addict to stop the destruction of their own lives.

Think about how hard that is for mothers and fathers to do to their children, that gives an idea of the state of hopelessness people reach after trying to help an addict.

This is a Thai person? Ask yourself where are their family and friends?

Why are they not helping?

It sounds hard, but kindness towards addicts probably doesn't help them and can be very harmful to you.

Often, in the end addicts are not grateful to those who tried to help them and end up resenting them.

YMMV.

Edited by cdemundo
formatting
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This was a very successful place to get away from drugs for many Thais - not exactly in Pattaya but not too far away.

Wat Tham Krabok - Wikipedia

I don't have any up do date information about them.

That is the place I was talking about.  It is not a pretty place starting out but it has a very high-efficiency rate also, it is geared to Thais.

The one catch is that she has to want to go there and want to quit.

OP I do not know how close you are to her but as stated above you are going to have to make some lifestyle changes as well and one of them may be to relocate out of Pattaya away from all her temptations.

There are videos about it on youtube and it is known worldwide but again she has to want it.

I have known many people that had alcohol dependency and no matter what their families tried it did not work.

These people lived, stole and did anything they could including claiming that they were abused as children.

Be very careful 

the website

https://wat-thamkrabok.org/

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

That is the place I was talking about.  It is not a pretty place starting out but it has a very high-efficiency rate also, it is geared to Thais.

The one catch is that she has to want to go there and want to quit.

OP I do not know how close you are to her but as stated above you are going to have to make some lifestyle changes as well and one of them may be to relocate out of Pattaya away from all her temptations.

There are videos about it on youtube and it is known worldwide but again she has to want it.

I have known many people that had alcohol dependency and no matter what their families tried it did not work.

These people lived, stole and did anything they could including claiming that they were abused as children.

Be very careful 

the website

Thanks for advices! I am aware of it. Actually, I am not more involved than just trying to help. There is no strategic life project involved. If I can, fine, if I cannot I will just feel sorry.

• Like 1

There are government run centers for this, and local hospital can provide info.

However pretty grim places. And a sort of detention center like vibe.

There is a Wat in Saraburi famous for this which might be a better bet though it would entail a trip

Narcotics Anonymous has several locations in Pattaya area and is not just for farangs, Thais are welcome - but I am not sure if any of the meetings are held in Thai language, you'd have to call and ask https://na-thailand.org/meetings/pattaya-meetings/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1