Kerfuffle on a bus! Mask-less passenger told to get off after other passengers complain

webfact

18 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Two or three months ago my wife and I were in Cent Fest, every single person was masked except one 20 something year old female westerner who was wearing her mask like an arm band. We walked in the same direction as her and it was interesting to watch other Thai's glance sideways and look back afterwards to express disgust, in their own quiet and low key way. Eventually on the second floor, outside B2S, I couldn't help myself. I asked her if she realized she was the only person out of many hundred in the mall who wasn't wearing a mask, I got a mumble grumble something or other in response as she walked away, pulling her mask onto her face. Earlier we'd been around Fern Forest in Old Town for lunch where the story was the same, farang tourists unmasked, all Thai's masked, Thai's eyeing tourists quietly with disdain. The tourists who do this don't get it because they don't see it so they don't realize the strength of sentiment that exists here still. Right of wrong, justified or not, that's the way they feel, albeit sentiment is softening currently.

I am speaking of THIS week. Not three months ago ( or more). Thanks for being honest in your post. I can see Westerners and others walking around maskless now and no one ( when I peeked around) has issues. It's funny you approached her as it seems foreign posters on here have more distain than Thais. Just look at some of the posts here! 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I am speaking of THIS week. Not three months ago ( or more). Thanks for being honest in your post. I can see Westerners and others walking around maskless now and no one ( when I peeked around) has issues. It's funny you approached her as it seems foreign posters on here have more distain than Thais. Just look at some of the posts here! 

It goes against Thai culture to complain to a foreigner in public. I have come to understand over the years that farang behavior very quickly paints all farangs with the same brush, that was why I spoke to her.

But that is not to say that nothing has happened in this area between three months ago and today, albeit attitudes are softening, as already said.

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

It goes against Thai culture to complain to a foreigner in public. I have come to understand over the years that farang behavior very quickly paints all farangs with the same brush, that was why I spoke to her.

But that is not to say that nothing has happened in this area between three months ago and today, albeit attitudes are softening, as already said.

Attitudes are softening and the masks are coming off in the Chiang Mai area as I observed not just in the central city on my holiday last week. I don't count a mask under the lips or on someone's chin as wearing one either. As a side note I saw a Thai woman being very vocal and rude to the foreign check in woman at Male airport two weeks ago. Her HUGE bag was obviously over 20 kilos and she had to take out several kilos and put into her friends bags or somewhere or else pay an additional fee. After already being rude and removing things she very loudly in English said more rude comments to the employee. Your own perception of " Thai Culture " is not correct. We could have an entire thread about Thai men AND females being openly rude in public to foreigners. I also think many Thais are extremely sweet and kind. So we both agree on attitudes changing. I especially see younger Thais in their 20's  perhaps outside in Bangkok in many areas maskless this week. Also quite a lot of Vietnamese as well.  I think if you are a person who likes to see mask wearing you see more but if you are a person who doesn't care to wear a mask you see more of that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Attitudes are softening and the masks are coming off in the Chiang Mai area as I observed not just in the central city on my holiday last week. I don't count a mask under the lips or on someone's chin as wearing one either. As a side note I saw a Thai woman being very vocal and rude to the foreign check in woman at Male airport two weeks ago. Her HUGE bag was obviously over 20 kilos and she had to take out several kilos and put into her friends bags or somewhere or else pay an additional fee. After already being rude and removing things she very loudly in English said more rude comments to the employee. Your own perception of " Thai Culture " is not correct. We could have an entire thread about Thai men AND females being openly rude in public to foreigners. I also think many Thais are extremely sweet and kind. So we both agree on attitudes changing. I especially see younger Thais in their 20's  perhaps outside in Bangkok in many areas maskless this week. Also quite a lot of Vietnamese as well.  I think if you are a person who likes to see mask wearing you see more but if you are a person who doesn't care to wear a mask you see more of that. 

I wrote that it goes against Thai culture, I didn't write that every single Thai person in the world never complains or chastises foreigners!

On 12/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, nigelforbes said:

I wrote that it goes against Thai culture, I didn't write that every single Thai person in the world never complains or chastises foreigners!

"It goes against Thai culture to complain to a foreigner in public." That was your quote. So please stop lying and covering up now. 

On 12/22/2022 at 11:43 AM, Dan O said:

Private entities can make their own rules and refuse service as they deem fit, the govt statement was for govt facilities and has no bearing on private facilities

So as this is a public bus the staff have no right to insist on mask wearing, obviously.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:12 AM, ThailandRyan said:

So if everyone walked around with shorts on you would take yours off just to be different, expressing your freedom to do so, and enjoy doing it?

Completely illogical comparison, not wearing a mask hardly constitutes indecent exposure (certain religious zealots may disagree but different forum).

On 12/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, Partenavia said:

It's a private company, they can make their own rules. I went into a shop recently, and was told it was the rule everyone had to wear a mask in their shop. About turn and went back out, took my custom elsewhere.

Public route bus, not private.

15 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Public route bus, not private.

Your fighting a loosing battle. The bus company can do what it deems necessary.  Not your decision to run the show as you seem fit to do. Yet you will throw a fit and act like a child in order to get your way and make a point.  I have watched Thai parents, when their kids pull that feces, just walk away and leave them in the aisle while they, the parents, walked away and ignored them much like your going to be ignored. Your right to play the simpleton however.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your fighting a loosing battle. The bus company can do what it deems necessary.  Not your decision to run the show as you seem fit to do. Yet you will throw a fit and act like a child in order to get your way and make a point.  I have watched Thai parents, when their kids pull that feces, just walk away and leave them in the aisle while they, the parents, walked away and ignored them much like your going to be ignored. Your right to play the simpleton however.

Is pulling "feces" a Thai thing? ????????

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Indeed,  Just never heard of "pulling" it! 

It's an American euphemism.  Like when you tell your co worker, who's always calls in sick to go to the beach, "Stop pulling that xxxx and do your job" , or "Don't pull that sxxt or your grounded" you tell your kids.... .

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's an American euphemism.  Like when you tell your co worker, who's always calls in sick to go to the beach, "Stop pulling that xxxx and do your job" , or "Don't pull that sxxt or your grounded" you tell your kids.... .

Thanks.  I get it now. (I actually thought you'd misspelled "faces" as "feces"!)

On 12/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, katatonic said:

So as this is a public bus the staff have no right to insist on mask wearing, obviously.

Its not a public bus or subway system and can govern the rules they wish to operate under. It's not a regulation to wear a mask it's a regulation suggestion from the bus and subway and MRT operators and also the Dept of Heath. I suspect the OP is making more than necessary considering the porr translation and understanding of gramatical structs Thai's use. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 8:09 AM, redwood1 said:

Some of us don't feel the need to follow the herd....A brain was put in our head for a reason...We use it to think........

I myself am quite happy to be the only person in a room without a mask....And if others get uncomfortable that's fine by me..

Rather a selfish attitude......

• Like 1