Kerfuffle on a bus! Mask-less passenger told to get off after other passengers complain

webfact

6 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

And I'll repeat, private bus owners can impose whatever rules they want to, show me where it says that air con bus is not privately owned.

Citybuses in Greater Bangkok are served by a state-owned citybus operator Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) and private operators sub-contracted by either BMTA or Department of Land Transport.[1][2] Since began operation, BMTA acted as the bangkok bus lines concessions owners. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bus_routes_in_Bangkok

So you're now nit picking on a point of order - that some of the government owned / operated bus services are in fact operated privately, yet they are contracted/ paid by the government authority?

So a BMTA  operated  but contracted to a private operator bus isn't public transport? OK, that's fine, so what is public transport in Thailand?

Can't be the airlines, BTS or MRT , as they don't enforce mask wearing. 

So can you now see, there is no public transport mask mandate in Thailand? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Update 04/10/2022 Masks are still compulsory on public transport and when visiting cinemas.

i'm not so sure, was on the BTS and the announcement stated that is was 'suggested' passengers wore masks, no mandatory requirement. i've never seen a non mask wearer asked to wear a mask on the BTS or MRT.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

So you're now nit picking on a point of order - that some of the government owned / operated bus services are in fact operated privately, yet they are contracted/ paid by the government authority?

So a BMTA  operated  but contracted to a private operator bus isn't public transport? OK, that's fine, so what is public transport in Thailand?

Can't be the airlines, BTS or MRT , as they don't enforce mask wearing. 

So can you now see, there is no public transport mask mandate in Thailand? 

No I cannot and do not....but you and me are done here, bye.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Update 04/10/2022 Masks are still compulsory on public transport and when visiting cinemas.

I went to walk into the bank the other day and security said something in Thai pointing to his mask, I said, oh, ok, ok, walked back to my car, grabbed one and went back to the bank to which the security guard opened the door and allowed me in.

There were about 20 people in the bank all wearing masks, I have to admit that in the 45 minutes that I was in there I felt very uncomfortable wearing something that I haven't worn in months, which includes, Lotus, Big C, Makro, Villa Mart and Immigration. Why just today a child walked past me in Lotus where just about everybody including farangs were wearing masks, that child did not have a mask on and was coughing and splattering, the parents and grandparents with the child didn't seem phased, neither did I, I just held my breath and moved out of the kids way.

As far as I recall, even those of us who have been triple vaxed and had Covid are not immune from it being transmitted to us and that is why we have an immune system to deal with it, masks should come off in my opinion, let it spread, allow herd immunity to take it's course as opposed to delaying the process.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

On Japan- you're incorrect,  this is a revisionist myth. Japanese wore masks pre-covid infrequently, and typically only those who were sick and kept going to work, instead of staying at home.

Don't take my word for it. Google search a Shibuya crossing(busiest intersection on earth)  scene 2019 and tell me how many masks you see.  

No myth and 1 picture doesn't represent the country. Have you been there anytime recently? Don't think so 

7 hours ago, blackshadow said:

ok good for them.....

Took BTS Green Line last week several times through Bangkok- recorded announcement said masks recommended be worn within the station and trains, but not mandatory. Saw several foreigners w/o mask on the trains, no one harassed them nor security required them to mask. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Took BTS Green Line last week several times through Bangkok- recorded announcement said masks recommended be worn within the station and trains, but not mandatory. Saw several foreigners w/o mask on the trains, no one harassed them nor security required them to mask. 

That's the way it is. As the months go by the Bangkok locals are finally dropping their silly thin crumbled up dirty bacteria ridden masks. If no big dramatic corona ACDC123 outbreak happens by Feb and March more likely they will move on like the rest of earth has. 

*Deleted post edited out*

I won't wear anymore this useless uncomfortable mask (only good against pollution)

the masks worn by the vast majority of people are pretty much hopeless in giving any kind of protection against pollution. Masks need to be airtight against the face, and, according to experts, FFP1 masks, N95 masks, and cartridges are known to be the most effective. The FFP1 masks, or the N95 masks, are known to be the most effective clinically, and can effectively limit the inhalation of pollutants suspended in the air.

6 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Except not all immune systems are equal. At age 73 my immune system is arguable much weaker than that of a 21 year old. And even though I've been quadruple vaxed and had covid once, my underlying health means that I am at much greater risk of being hospitalised or even dying, as new variants are introduced into the population. So if it's OK with you, I'll keep my mask on, you guys go for herd immunity if you want, I'll pass.  

This is a fair view for yourself, no problem with it. Wear them, up to you. 

What I will call out, is when you keep  insisting there's a rule/law/mandate for all on public transport - that's not true. 

Tolerance extends both ways. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

You can repeat it as many times as you like, but it still doesn't make it true or correct.

I don't normally wear a mask, BUT I carry one in case some place wants me to wear one.

In that case I apologise and put the mask on whilst I am there and take it off outside when I am finished.

What I don't do is jump up and down, throw toys out of the pram, pull the "don't you know who I am" scene or any other thing like that, and my life is easier for it.

Who ever asks me to put a mask on is just doing their job. I wear the mask as long as I need to. They have to wear them all the time.

Life in Thailand is as easy or as hard as you wish to make it.

No problem with your philosophy and stated behaviour here. Mine is in fact, similar. I'm not into making scenes either. 

But it doesn't change the facts, there is no public transport mask mandate/laws on public transport in Thailand. That is true, and correct. 

36 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

This is a fair view for yourself, no problem with it. Wear them, up to you. 

What I will call out, is when you keep  insisting there's a rule/law/mandate for all on public transport - that's not true. 

Tolerance extends both ways. 

When in Rome......!

• Like 1

I was looking to see if I could find the official word on masking on public  transport and the latest thing I found is dated October, it says masks still mandatory on public transport but all other restrictions lifted.:   https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/face-masks-still-required-on-public-transport-in-cinemas

Apologies if I missed it but has anyone posted anything more recent that states the opposite of this, reliable well known sources only please?

• Like 1

BTW  a law issued by government is one thing, a ruling by Ministry of Public Health is something else but is not a law per se. So whilst Anutin may be correct that there is no law, that does not exclude the possibility that a MOPH ruling still remains in place....dunno.

Edited by nigelforbes

Don’t know why folk are getting all bent out of shape. Who cares if there is no specific law. I cannot stand wearing them and never do open air, but, as above, it is common courtesy on crowded transport, 7-11 etc during these times. Why do folk have to be so belligerent? Enjoy your coffee and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The locals disdain farangs who don't wear masks. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. I don't understand this religious aversion to wearing a mask when the locals do. There's a lot of people here lining up for a Hermann Cain award.

Meanwhile, in China, people are dropping like flies from covid. How mush evidence does it take? Sheesh.

They do not!  I'll call that out as a big fat lie! 

• Like 2