An unsung hero in the tragic end of HTMS Sukhothai

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

Where were the actual trained rescue military in all this?  Seems the rescue effort by trained rescue military was too little, too late.

They were there and dong the rescue as much as they could.

I have a feeling that some of the missing may still be on the ship unfortunately.

• Like 2

Very sad he jumped back overboard without any safety harness etc. I was trained in the Royal Navy as a swimmer of the watch. We were created for this job as it was considered safer to put one man in the sea instead of a boat full of men in rough seas etc. I would be wearing a full dry suit and a harness with a rope running back to the ship. Fortunately I never had to save anyone, but lots of practice. I doubt this position probably isn’t available in the Thai navy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonclark said:

In a rescue situation putting oneself back in danger by jumping back into the water, in this instance, is a stupid thing to do. I hope he is found safe and well (again). 

the photo does not show if he is wearing his lucky amulet......

9 hours ago, proton said:

What a surprise, they found a selfless Thai hero to deflect from the balls up of sinking a ship with not even enough life jackets, shameless.

Edited by Lopchan
Can't be bother with the rhetoric it will generate

On 12/23/2022 at 1:05 PM, johnbarpic said:

A lot of comments here from those with no knowledge of seamanship or the perils of the sea. oss of power at sea renders you in a very precarious position no matter how highly trained of the crew or the size of the vessel. 

I agree with what you are saying but a three things have happened that make me query how trained they were.

First is the Nurse diving back into the water. Well trained would not be doing that he would be triaging and looking after those that had been rescued and recovered. 

The other is the sailor that is standing on the ship and calls his father, who is not a sailor, to ask what he should do.

Then the last thing is the fact that there were not enough life jackets on the ship and or people did not know where or how to wear them.

While yes I am sure there was training it seems that there was or is a lack of either training or practice.

In the Cdn Military, we are drilled and drilled practice and practice for these things.  Working on the ship the drills were continuous.  In the Airforce working in a hospital again, the crash drills were on a monthly basis.

In all caes, it was not having to ask but knowing exactly what you had to do r what your job was in these circumstances it became second nature.