18-Wheeler Fatally Crushes 20-Year-Old Motorist in Chonburi

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Mueang district, Chonburi — A 20-year-old motorcyclist was crushed to death by an 18-wheeler while heading back home from work in Chonburi’s Mueang district.

The accident happened yesterday, December 22nd, 2022, on a road beneath a motorway in the Don Hua Lor sub-district. The victim, 20-year-old Mr. Phatthames Sriraksa, was found dead with several bone fractures. Phatthames, a Sisaket province native, was taken to a local hospital for funeral arrangements by first responders.

His motorbike, a black and yellow Yamaha Mio registered in Chonburi, was found under a white 18-wheeler driven by 43-year-old Mr. Yan Leabloy. 

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/12/23/18-wheeler-fatally-crushes-20-year-old-motorist-in-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-12-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Anyone under 30 should be limited to riding push bikes like everyone did 50 years ago. Any lunatic can twist a throttle to achieve orbital speeds. It takes real skill and experience to control oneself and the machine. Remaining upright and following the correct line, if learnt from trial and error, can have fatal consequences 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Unfortunately NO !!!!!

Agreed.  Until such time as the general public has a sizable shift in their collective thinking and actions - it will remain this way.

I do think policing - be that better, more consistent and frequent enforcement would help, but i’ve long argued that you can’t really “police” your way out of problems like this.. it takes a collective shift in how people think and act for that to really happen and have a sustained change.

….. for now, as many of these events are (IMHO) seen, internalized or explained away as either “fate” or accidents (as opposed to what i call many to be crashes due to one or more controllable factors) there’s no real NEED to change the mindset… and so it goes on body after body 

Edited by new2here

1 hour ago, poyai111 said:

Anyone under 30 should be limited to riding push bikes like everyone did 50 years ago. Any lunatic can twist a throttle to achieve orbital speeds. It takes real skill and experience to control oneself and the machine. Remaining upright and following the correct line, if learnt from trial and error, can have fatal consequences 

About 40 years ago I was 20 and riding around on a Suzuki GT750 like a lunatic, wherever did you get the idea everyone was on a bicycle?

I guess I was lucky I wasn’t born that ten years earlier!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Do you really believe it's safer on a push bike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

About 40 years ago I was 20 and riding around on a Suzuki GT750 like a lunatic, wherever did you get the idea everyone was on a bicycle?

Ha Ha Ha 

40 years ago there was a lot less traffic so being like a lunatic was almost safe.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Anyone under 30 should be limited to riding push bikes like everyone did 50 years ago.

And the exact opposite happens.

Latest trend: many primary school students (<12 yr) riding electric scooters of all types.

Easily doing 40 to 50 km/h.

It's "only" in the village not on the highway but there is enough hools ("delivery" drivers e.g.) speeding their trucks through the neighborhood. Disaster waiting to happen.

Just this evening five boys (about 12 yr old) on a bike with such a primitive sidecar. An everyday scene.

17 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

Thanks for your response but I was referring to the general Thai population. Refer historical photos of the time - bicycles were the primary form of personal transport 

20 hours ago, poyai111 said:

You can be reckless in any type of transport. The fact that bicycles cannot exceed speed limits reduces the chances of fatality substantially 

Sadly, does not reduce the chance of getting  your head crushed by a six or more wheeler. Been a couple of those lately ....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They drive like total nutters all over the Eastern Seaboard so no surprise. 

I live close to Hwy 36 and there is a lot of heavy traffic going between Rayong and Laem Chabang port... they get their foot down too early getting onto Hwy 36 at Sukhumvit, and too late lifting off coming the other way... dangerous junction onto a dangerous road with deadly U-Turns. . 

Edited by jacko45k

I am not sure if it was the same accident, but sitting eating breakfast in Khon Khan yesterday there was a news report with cam footage from a large truck. It showed a bike pull in front in front of him and then what looked like the bike had a rear tire blow out. You could see the rider look up from the pavement at the oncoming truck. The footage stops at that point and then shows the truck at standstill. It looks like the truck swerved to avoid the bike. If he would have kept going straight, the bike rider may have gone under the truck and avoided the wheels.

After reading the full story, I see it was a different accident. No idea when or where the one above happen.

Edited by bunnydrops
edit