Female Thai Student Attacked On San Francisco Bus

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai student in San Francisco, Rujira Amboon, is pictured with her left ear injury after getting attacked on the San Francisco bus on Dec 11, 2022. 

By VOA Thai

A FEMALE Thai student who was travelling home on a San Francisco bus earlier this month was punched twice by a man of Latin American appearance who then quickly escaped, VOA Thai said.

Ms. Rujira Umboon, 31, told VOA reporters that she was seated on bus number 14 on Dec. 11 evening when this man came and sat right next to her even though there were not many passengers and few other empty seats available.

The assailant took the opportunity when the bus got close to a stop to punch her twice in the left ear and quickly got off the vehicle.

The bus driver came to help, called an emergency ambulance and immediately notified the police.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2022/12/24/female-thai-student-attacked-on-san-francisco-bus/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2022-12-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

People are victims of assault all over the world.  They are not all bias incidents. But to single out because it happened in the states and San Francisco seems sort of prejudiced to me.  Do Thais in the states who attack other Thais make the news here?

There is no proof it was a bias incident.  Or maybe it was.  Maybe the guy was just a wacko.  I have  visited San Francisco a few times in the past.  And there are a number of homeless people and a number of them with obvious mental health issues .  More so in certain areas of the city. 
As for the comments made of him appearing to be Latino.  Just because he’s Latino doesn’t mean he is in the USA illegally.  There are many Latinos that are American citizens,  and who were born in America. And they are considered Americans, Not foreigners.  
So some people should leave their  nineteenth century type of mentality out of it.  Because if you are living in Thailand.  You can have as many different visas as you want.  You are still an outsider here yourself and always will be.  So think about that before you criticize people being in a country not of their own.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You clearly are not informed about the demographics of San Francisco. It is only 6 percent black. Very very low for a major city (see Atlanta).

Probably cannot afford to live in SF proper, but there were a lot more just over the bridge in Berkely and points East. 

1 hour ago, Real Name Hidden said:

The #14 bus goes through the Mission District, one of the worst parts of The City.  Hope the young lady wasn’t traumatized too badly.

The best neighborhood I ever lived in. Rich in culture and excitement. Riding the bus there was wonderful.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Probably cannot afford to live in SF proper, but there were a lot more just over the bridge in Berkely and points East. 

Oakland is a separate city across the great bay. A city actually bordering SF is Daly City which is very Filipino. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

I know all about the demographics. Black people are 95% + responsible for the attacks on Asians even tho they hold a low % of the total population. Watch the news and educate yourself.

BTW - The same is true in New York City. 

Education and facts are important.

That's interesting. 

Where's the source for that 95 percent?

The one time I experienced anti Asian hate in SF walking down the street with my Vietnamese date the perp was mighty white. To be clear the Vietnamese was the target but I am not Asian so only witnessed it. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

It is not a TRUMP problem nor is it a Biden problem.

Well it's not a Biden problem anyway.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-racist-rhetoric-blamed-145-175221823.html

"Trump’s racist rhetoric was blamed for a 145% rise in hate crimes against Asian Americans. Now he’s at it again

With Donald Trump’s return to the campaign trail this week came the resurgence of another familiar theme as well: racist language designed to denigrate Asian-Americans."

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The best neighborhood I ever lived in. Rich in culture and excitement. Riding the bus there was wonderful.

But, what is it like now? A sincere question as I really don't know. I have been stunned by the deterioration of places like Seattle and Vancouver that I have seen documented on YouTube - are the tales just limited to certain neighborhoods that have become homeless enclaves? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But, what is it like now? A sincere question as I really don't know. I have been stunned by the deterioration of places like Seattle and Vancouver that I have seen documented on YouTube - are the tales just limited to certain neighborhoods that have become homeless enclaves? 

Fair question. 

When I lived there there were tensions in the Mission between the majority Latinos and gay people who were mostly white and correctly seen as gentrifying. I know it's changed where there are more rich tech people, more whites, and more Asians 

I could be wrong but my understanding is that the homeless masses are mostly downtown  Market Street, Tenderloin etc.

Edited by Jingthing