Moment Rishi Sunak asks homeless person 'do you work in business?'

webfact

image.jpeg

video screenshot

The prime minister has been criticised over an awkward exchange with a homeless person while volunteering at a soup kitchen. Rishi Sunak asked the man whether he worked in business, to which he replied: 'I'm homeless'.

Sunak said he used to work in finance and asked the man if he was interested in doing so. He told the prime minister he was just trying to get through Christmas and find temporary accommodation ‘Do you work in business?’ Sunak mocked for ‘excruciating’ exchange with homeless man.

guardian.jpg
-- © Copyright The Guardian 2022-12-26
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Those stories are not about tax avoidance. They're about not paying tax in UK. She doesn't earn money in UK and has non dom status.

Please provide proof that she avoided paying tax .

Thanks.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Those stories are not about tax avoidance. They're about not paying tax in UK. She doesn't earn money in UK and has non dom status.

Please provide proof that she avoided paying tax .

Thanks.

All those stories discuss tax avoidance.

Do try to keep up…

Here’s a quote from the Reuters article to help you

”Akshata Murthy, the wife of British finance minister Rishi Sunak, said on Friday that she would stop avoiding British tax on her foreign income”

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/sunak-defends-wifes-tax-status-says-every-penny-owed-uk-is-paid-sun-2022-04-08/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

All those stories discuss tax avoidance.

Do try to keep up…

Here’s a quote from the Reuters article to help you

”Akshata Murthy, the wife of British finance minister Rishi Sunak, said on Friday that she would stop avoiding British tax on her foreign income”

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/sunak-defends-wifes-tax-status-says-every-penny-owed-uk-is-paid-sun-2022-04-08/

Once again I will explain.

She has Non Dom status. She was not avoiding paying tax. She didn't need to pay it by law. Any decisions she may have made are personal preferences.

As pointed out in this part of the article from your link....

"Murthy said her previous tax arrangements were "entirely legal", and that she would continue to claim India, not Britain, as her domicile. Sunak previously said she intends to return to India to care for her parents when they become infirm."

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

She has Non Dom status. She was not avoiding paying tax. She didn't need to pay it by law. Any decisions she may have made are personal preferences.

She was avoiding paying taxes.

Perfectly legally it’s true but avoiding all the same. 

And let’s be clear, no one has said she was doing anything illegal. 

Nice to see she has agreed to to end such avoidance as the third and fourth links I posted linking to articles on her agreeing to end tax avoidance make clear. 

Edited by Bluespunk

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

She was avoiding paying taxes.

Perfectly legally it’s true but avoiding all the same. 

And let’s be clear, no one has said she was doing anything illegal. 

Nice to see she has agreed to to end such avoidance as the third and fourth links I posted linking to articles on her agreeing to end tax avoidance make clear. 

It's a shame she's been targeted just because of her husband's job. Does she get tax credits in India because she pays in UK too? No. She's double wammied.

People seem to think Non Dom is only for the rich. Really? NO. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

It's a shame she's been targeted just because of her husband's job. Does she get tax credits in India because she pays in UK too? No. She's double wammied.

People seem to think Non Dom is only for the rich. Really? NO. 

In my posts I have not condemned her behaviour.

None of my business as far as I’m concerned. 

What she did and others are doing is perfectly legal. 

However, you asked for evidence she avoided taxes and I provided it. 

Edited by Bluespunk

49 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

In my posts I have not condemned her behaviour.

None of my business as far as I’m concerned. 

What she did and others are doing is perfectly legal. 

However, you asked for evidence she avoided taxes and I provided it. 

Avoided, as in, not paying what she should have. You still have not provided evidence of that.

14 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Avoided, as in, not paying what she should have. You still have not provided evidence of that.

Who said she didn’t pay what she should have as a non dom?

I know I didn’t. 

Regarding her non dom status, she has agreed to stop using this ploy, as shown in the articles I posted links to reporting on how she had agreed to stop using non dom status to avoiding paying tax on her earnings. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

As pointed out in this part of the article from your link....

"Murthy said her previous tax arrangements were "entirely legal", and that she would continue to claim India, not Britain, as her domicile. Sunak previously said she intends to return to India to care for her parents when they become infirm."

Maybe we should all apply for Non Dom status then none of us need ever pay tax again.

Personally, I would say that if you live in the UK, your children grow up there and your husband is the Prime Minister of the country, you shouldn't need to be shamed into actually paying taxes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Maybe we should all apply for Non Dom status then none of us need ever pay tax again.

Personally, I would say that if you live in the UK, your children grow up there and your husband is the Prime Minister of the country, you shouldn't need to be shamed into actually paying taxes. 

Agreed, if you work there and earn money there.

On 12/26/2022 at 9:53 AM, Kwasaki said:

What was to criticize? 

It was a conversation.

The content of the conversation and what it reveals about the Prime Ministers grip on the reality lived by the people who are subject to the decisions and policies he and his Government make.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1