Tools For DIY Solar Projects

Im not the most experience handyman and have a minimum of tools at hand, so now Im looking into what i need to buy, without to much wrong buying. ( tools who not suitable for the jobs etc..) I already bought a MC4 crimper.. Next im looking into now is Cable cutter who i can use for 4mm2 solar cable and 25mm2 and 50mm2 Battery cables. I found THIS on Lazada, will it do the job? Feel free to suggest better options. Do i need a cable stripper? Or just use a knife?

Pink

cutter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A sharp knife is always good to have. I have a couple of solid 'cutters' (what they call them over here). Stanly knives with a few blade packs. Gotta keep the blades in protective oiled packs as they tend to rust quickly in humid places.

I think those side-cutters in the picture are good to have, but may need a smaller pair for finer work.

Really you can use anything, it's just what you get used to using.

1 hour ago, Peterphuket said:

I like to give you only one advice, when using MC4 connectors, male and female, be aware they are from the same brand.

The connectors from different brands are inside not always the same, for example shorter or longer, and can cause problems in the long run.

Would point out the PV panels come with MC4 connectors already fitted, so nothing you buy will be connected together. 

Edited by BritManToo

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out the PV panels come with MC4 connectors already fitted, so nothing you buy will be connected together. 

I agree with that, that's the problem that I also have and has been bothering me for some time.

But if you buy the solar panels it is easy to cut the plugs and mount the new ones from the same brand.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peterphuket said:

I agree with that, that's the problem that I also have and has been bothering me for some time.

But if you buy the solar panels it is easy to cut the plugs and mount the new ones from the same brand.

Invalidating your 25 year guarantee ...........

• Thanks 1

Even the panel manufacturers use slightly different MC4 connectors.

Generally, you can feel if your chosen MC-4 brand are going to be loose (not good) or tight (hard to get apart) with your chosen brand of panels. I certainly wouldn't cut the connectors off a new panel.

I wouldn't get overly stressed out, just don't buy the cheapest of the cheap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Assuming you already have the "normal" DIY electrical tools I would suggest: -

• The correct MC-4 (solar panel connectors) crimp tool.
  • A decent cable crimp tool if you are making up "big" battery cables (my tool does up to 50mm2 cables, it wasn't terribly expensive).
  • Cable shears (or those old secateurs).
  • A decently watty soldering iron, say 100-150W (and resin-cored solder).
  • Heat gun for heatshrink - Madam's hair-dryer isn't up to the job although I've used the gas stove in the past.

If you are assembling DIY battery packs, I strongly recommend insulating your socket set / spanners / drivers with heatshrink. Dropping a spanner across a 200Ah lithium cell or (worse) battery can get spectacular fast!

If you don't already have one, a clamp-on ammeter that does DC current.

Luckily, the majority of what you need is available from local Lazada / Shopee sellers, so getting the right tools won't delay your project too much.

Thanks for the info Crossy.

- What you soldering on diy battery?

Pink

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I like to give you only one advice, when using MC4 connectors, male and female, be aware they are from the same brand.

The connectors from different brands are inside not always the same, for example shorter or longer, and can cause problems in the long run.

See also this: 

Yes i decided on this some time back and made a tread on it. I have buy LINK solar cables and LINK MC4 connectors, who i will use with the connectors on the panels.

Pink

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

Thanks for the info Crossy.

- What you soldering on diy battery?

One may wish to solder the BMS sense wires to the cell interconnect links (big lumps of copper), some people are less than confident in their crimping ability (or have a carppy crimp tool) and like to run some solder into the crimped joint too (don't do this if you have any vibration e.g. a mobile set-up). 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, definitely buy enough (plus spares) to complete the job from the same source at the same time. A bag of 50 or 100 pairs isn't going to break the bank.

I have been calculating exactly then added 1... i will order some more of them.. Stop working process is much bigger issue than have 10+ stock, thanks Crossy.

Pink

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TronxII said:

And a nice to have tool is a DC clamp Amperemeter. Not an AC clamp Amperemeter!

They start from 35$. This saves you the hassle to disconnect cables to measure current.

IMG_20220506_175634.jpg

Can't you buy a clamp meter with AC and DC current sensing functions?

On 12/27/2022 at 3:45 AM, Pink7 said:

Im not the most experience handyman

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but assuming the panels and assorted accessories are expensive, is it false economy to try and DIY if not an experienced handyman?

I learned everything I did by making mistakes the first time, but not normally anything too expensive or not easily fixed.

I learned a lot by observing people that did know what they were doing the first time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but assuming the panels and assorted accessories are expensive, is it false economy to try and DIY if not an experienced handyman?

I learned everything I did by making mistakes the first time, but not normally anything too expensive or not easily fixed.

I learned a lot by observing people that did know what they were doing the first time.

What Im missing in handyman skills i compensate in project management skills and by research ability. Im not progress on anything before i have a solution i can stand back. So i take its kind of slow. Next plan now its making some cables ready for testing temporary mounting together  for test purpose and learning.

Pink

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, but you have to verify it does do DC current, many don't and do AC only.

Yes that was a good point mention by both of you that i was not aware of that cheapest units did not measure DC current, so that would have been wasted money and time until i have discover it could not do the job. I found a good unit on Lazada, look to be same unit as in the given photo too:  HT206D

Pink

Edited by Pink7
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pink7 said:

I also need some wrenches or maybe a wrench set. Should i get mm or inch version?

Metric, although there are imperial fasteners on sale in some places the closest metric size spanner usually fits OK.

Get a set of combination spanners Simply buy Combination spanner | Hoffmann Group

Or :whistling:

SS001-200 | Bahco Adjustable Spanner, 200 mm Overall Length, 24mm Max Jaw  Capacity | RS

17 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Metric, although there are imperial fasteners on sale in some places the closest metric size spanner usually fits OK.

Get a set of combination spanners Simply buy Combination spanner | Hoffmann Group

Or :whistling:

SS001-200 | Bahco Adjustable Spanner, 200 mm Overall Length, 24mm Max Jaw  Capacity | RS

I need some socket wrench set i think to rich inside the Growatts battery mount bolts.

Pink

1 minute ago, Pink7 said:

I need some socket wrench set i think to rich inside the Growatts battery mount bolts.

Yeah, good idea.

In order to manage any job you really need both a 1/2" square drive and 1/4" square drive set (a decent 3/8" square drive set may do the trick).

Have a look in your local DIY places, quality varies vastly and you really don't want the cheapest of the cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would add that wrenches/spanners, socket sets, screwdrivers, hammers, files, power drills (and drill bits of various formats) etc. etc. would come in my bracket of "normal DIY tools" rather than being specific to solar.

But if you don't have them, now is a good time to go shopping ???? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you are making up your own battery packs I would also invest in some Uni-Seal jointing compound.

A quick rub over with emery on the terminals followed by a smear (you really don't need much) of this stuff will ensure a good and long-lasting contact. Use it on all your high-current joints.

It's definitely not cheap, but one tube will last you a lifetime, shake well before use.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2156648662-s7185722295.html

image.png.1341601dd57b81b26a8e25638a1fd2d1.png

• Thumbs Up 1