More than 5M Chinese Visitors expected in Thailand next year

webfact

4 hours ago, Salerno said:

Which is one of the things stopping Chinese tourists e.g. who wants to use a big chunk of their time off in quarantine on return home.

China is also slowly dropping it's restrictions on people leaving.

"Online searches for flights abroad surged on the news, state media reported, with the travel platform Tongcheng seeing an 850% jump in searches and a tenfold rise in inquiries about visas."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/26/china-starts-to-drop-quarantine-requirement-for-overseas-passengers

Searches and inquires where does the linked article say bookings?

Yet returning they: which is still a barrier to travel to certain countries who are already requiring the same now, but not Thailand. Imagine coming here for 2 weeks and returning home with Covid you caught from a fellow traveler or even from within the country and being asymptomatic.

People coming to China will still need a negative virus test 48 hours before departure and passengers will be required to wear protective masks on board planes, an online post from the health commission said.

Edited by ThailandRyan

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Stirring the pot! Didn't those Europeans travel to China and return? 

Your memory fails you..... 

Initially people were being evacuated from Wuhan, back to isolation in the UK... struck me as folly but it didn't seem to cause  any real outbreaks. It was caused by workers in the luxury leather industry, Chinese, returning to Northern Italy, where a few well attended local soccer matches spread it further, before local governments knew what to do. China was already locked down, Italy followed, with people singing from their Juliet balconies. It got to the point that Thais were recoiling from Italians here, not Chinese!  

Sinovac, it is well known, is not very good for the later strains, and the heavy handed lockdowns has left the population mostly open to infection, as they try to open up.... 

I don't decry all the efforts of Nations, and it appears China's approach was not a success, more a delay.  But what happened in Brazil and Peru suggests to have done nothing , would still have been a bad result. Perhaps  there was no way to beat this virus other than time. 

My other thought... there was some serious cover up going on here in support of China, who at the time was wailing they were being made to look bad after infecting the world!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Your memory fails you..... 

Initially people were being evacuated from Wuhan, back to isolation in the UK... struck me as folly but it didn't seem to cause  any real outbreaks. It was caused by workers in the luxury leather industry, Chinese, returning to Northern Italy, where a few well attended local soccer matches spread it further, before local governments knew what to do. China was already locked down, Italy followed, with people singing from their Juliet balconies. It got to the point that Thais were recoiling from Italians here, not Chinese!  

Sinovac, it is well known, is not very good for the later strains, and the heavy handed lockdowns has left the population mostly open to infection, as they try to open up.... 

I don't decry all the efforts of Nations, and it appears China's approach was not a success, more a delay.  But what happened in Brazil and Peru suggests to have done nothing , would still have been a bad result. Perhaps  there was no way to beat this virus other than time. 

Yes it fails more like reading too much stuff over time so it seems it was the Chinese all the time. 

Based on your remarks it would make sense not to allow the Chinese here until they get it together.  

XI,  to keep control said to himself you don't like my way then O just open up regardless and here comes round two! 

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Yes it fails more like reading too much stuff over time so it seems it was the Chinese all the time. 

Based on your remarks it would make sense not to allow the Chinese here until they get it together.  

XI,  to keep control said to himself you don't like my way then O just open up regardless and here comes round two! 

It sounds logical, but that was the approach a few years ago ...  that was for far more pathological strains of Covid... is it really the best idea for less serious Omicron, and with a well vaccinated population? There is no appetite for turning the tourists away in Thailand! 

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

The existing rules forbidding outbound travel remain in place, nothing is likely to change on that score for a while, despite TAT's wishful thinking for 2023.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

If it indeed happens, I expect to see motorbike accidents and deaths go up.

Hordes of two up Chinese tourists on scooters who have never ridden in their lives, negotiating Thailand's roads. One shakily driving, while the one on  the back gives directions from their mobile phone.

Admittedly, some blame goes to the rental shops, but I wonder how easy it is in China to get a Driving Licence without any driving or riding experience.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I know this to be factually wrong. My wife and I went back to Thailand on 22nd December 2019 'literally dying' with an unknown virus with all the now known symptoms, of Covid 19. We returned back to China on 2nd January 2020.  Then Wuhan and the rest of China finally admitted the scale of Covid and locked down in that month.

I know of 10 other people who traveled to Thailand at Christmas 2019 who also had the virus.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

I know this to be factually wrong. My wife and I went back to Thailand on 22nd December 2019 'literally dying' with an unknown virus with all the now known symptoms, of Covid 19. We returned back to China on 2nd January 2020.  Then Wuhan and the rest of China finally admitted the scale of Covid and locked down in that month.

I know of 10 other people who traveled to Thailand at Christmas 2019 who also had the virus.

We both have just had the virus again 2 weeks ago. After being tested daily for just under three years and all the restrictions, the 3 crappy Chinese vaccines and we get it again.????

7 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

We both have just had the virus again 2 weeks ago. After being tested daily for just under three years and all the restrictions, the 3 crappy Chinese vaccines and we get it again.????

I bet you'd take a dose of the virus over daily testing for 3 years! What a nightmare,  I'm sorry you've had  that experience. 

Gladly though China opening up will end the absurdity of daily testing, that will be soon be a thing of the past. 

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

This is what I was referring to.

Borrowed from Salerno

True, Europe brings in more than the ASEAN countries.  But, Asia, including ASEAN but not China, brings in more than China or Europe.  Asia, even without China, is number 1, followed by China.  When you include China with Asia numbers, the revenue is overwhelming more than Europe--and even with Europe and the Americas combined.

• Like 2

With Chinas current internal monetary issues I would think there wont be anywhere like the numbers of Chinese travelling as they were pre covid. Maybe the rich ones that do spend when they travel but the package tours that were coming to Thailand didnt spend here anyway so it wont make much difference whether they come or not. Seven 11, the roadside mobile kitchens and any Chinese owned restaurant or hotel where they had prepaid in China may miss them but for main stream operators it makes little difference. The more that do come just means more people spitting & littering in the streets!!!

9 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

I bet you'd take a dose of the virus over daily testing for 3 years! What a nightmare,  I'm sorry you've had  that experience

You bet. The three years has been very challenging and many left China with poor mental health because of the draconian restrictions. The fact that not being allowed out the country, then having to undergo 28 days state quarantine which i never ever would do, so I stayed here. Everyone who did do that struggled with it.

Plus China then tightened travel within China and controlled the people even more.

9 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

Gladly though China opening up will end the absurdity of daily testing, that will be soon be a thing of the past

Yes that is one benefit. I am hoping by the summer when I can visit Thailand (home) that all this nonsense will be a distant bad dream.

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, phetphet said:

If it indeed happens, I expect to see motorbike accidents and deaths go up.

Hordes of two up Chinese tourists on scooters who have never ridden in their lives, negotiating Thailand's roads. One shakily driving, while the one on  the back gives directions from their mobile phone.

Admittedly, some blame goes to the rental shops, but I wonder how easy it is in China to get a Driving Licence without any driving or riding experience.

They will probably want to drive on the right side as they do at home....obstinate people... and they seem to get their own way in Thailand!

1 minute ago, newnative said:

True, Europe brings in more than the ASEAN countries.  But, Asia, including ASEAN but not China, brings in more than China or Europe.  Asia, even without China, is number 1, followed by China.  When you include China with Asia numbers, the revenue is overwhelming more than Europe--and even with Europe and the Americas combined.

The overwhelming majority of the Chinese we get here dont spend !!! They come on Chinese charter flights, stay & eat in prepaid & mostly Chinese owned establishments etc etc. 

• Haha 1

• Japan will soon start requiring a negative COVID test upon arrival for travelers from China. 

Doubt LOS will ever do such thing. Why?  Because Japan does not care if the Chinese Government is offended or not.  Doubt there will be any restrictions for Chinese Travelers into Thailand.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

With Chinas current internal monetary issues I would think there wont be anywhere like the numbers of Chinese travelling as they were pre covid. Maybe the rich ones that do spend when they travel but the package tours that were coming to Thailand didnt spend here anyway so it wont make much difference whether they come or not. Seven 11, the roadside mobile kitchens and any Chinese owned restaurant or hotel where they had prepaid in China may miss them but for main stream operators it makes little difference. The more that do come just means more people spitting & littering in the streets!!!

You might be surprised to learn--as I did--that the majority of Chinese tourists in 2019 were traveling independently on their own, staying, eating, and visiting wherever they wanted, and not in tour groups, budget or otherwise.  Regardless, whether in a group or not, they were spending more per day in Thailand than tourists from any other country.   As previously stated, their individual spending was less--in the 40,000 baht a day range vs. Europeans in the high 60,000  baht range.  But, there were far more of them at nearly 11 million.   To say 'it won't make much difference whether they come or not' is absurd.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:
  • Japan will soon start requiring a negative COVID test upon arrival for travelers from China. 

Doubt LOS will ever do such thing. Why?  Because Japan does not care if the Chinese Government is offended or not.  Doubt there will be any restrictions for Chinese Travelers into Thailand.  

Will Omegacron 23 be the newest wave to spread for the next few years, or will the immunities gained from having the virus be enough to protect oneself as well as being vaccinated...

Sure to be someone along  who will espouse that the immune systems of those vaccinated is no good...saying that for my friends French poodle.

51 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

The overwhelming majority of the Chinese we get here dont spend !!! They come on Chinese charter flights, stay & eat in prepaid & mostly Chinese owned establishments etc etc. 

This is simply incorrect.  Read the posts and maybe learn something.  Or, back up your statement with actual, hard, verifiable data.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem with Chinese people coming, but CCP is the biggest concern.

I bet many Chinese people would like to come out from the terrible CCP control, and wish them good luck.

3 yrs and what have we learned?

The problem is mainly not about the virus, but it's about power grab.

Restriction lifted? They've already brainwashed 99% of the sheep population in Thailand, so I'm like

-Yeah all right

Amazing Thailand

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I agree, we also came down with a mystery illness before the official start date.

• Like 1

With the COVID cases in China, I hope that very few Chinese are allowed to leave unless they

are totally healthy. I certainly will not be going to China or even landing in China for at least the next 5

years, as they will need at least that much time to get their COVID problem finished with.    Do not forget China was where the first

COVID variant came from and it was a killer. So was the next 2 variants, especially Delta.

Just saying.

23 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

With the COVID cases in China, I hope that very few Chinese are allowed to leave unless they

are totally healthy. I certainly will not be going to China or even landing in China for at least the next 5

years, as they will need at least that much time to get their COVID problem finished with.    Do not forget China was where the first

COVID variant came from and it was a killer. So was the next 2 variants, especially Delta.

Just saying.

Ain't going to happen......covid and its many variants are now likely to pop up and are going to be exported around the world by the Chinese. Thailand will bare the brunt........the only sensible thing Uncle did was to ban (eventually) the Chinese at the start of the covid pandemic.....and now it is all going to kick off again!!!

"The chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Trade of Thailand expects more than 5 million Chinese people to visit Thailand next year as the Chinese government announced to lift its COVID-19 control."

and yet China has 250,000,000 new cases of COVID !

what logic is this hoping to bring in Chinese tourists!!?

• Thumbs Up 1