Pigeon deterrent

prophet01

Spikes work very well for window overhangs and where they can be installed - but they will move to roof or other areas if food is available.  And more than a few will actually feed them - making matters worse.  Perhaps like wondering cats and dogs - something we learn to live with.

Thought I'd try a DIY pigeon spike deterrent.

Bt39 for a square metre of mesh and Bt19 for some long cable ties.

Installed onto their favourite rafter and not a splash of crappo to be seen on the previously cleaned floor below as yet.

The real test will be during the day tomorrow.

spacer.png

Edited by prophet01
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 1:25 PM, prophet01 said:

@hotandstickyYou reds

Having done a bit more googling I've come to the same conclusion.

I'll initially try netting across that front rafter, that's their primary perching location, and see what happens.

But note that the netting can over several years get very brittle and break very easily. Perhaps this is not a problem unless the nettin is installed on a condo balcony to keep pidgeons off the balcont, but the condo owner is believing that the netting stopping little kids from falling off the balcony. 

Could be that kids try to climb the netting but it's old/brittle and falls apart very quickly and kids fall down. 

15 hours ago, prophet01 said:

Well, my DIY deterrent appears to be working a treat.

On two separate occasions I watched as a pigeon landed on their favourite rafter. The first touched down and immediately aborted.

The second landed and stumbled twice, catching it's feet in the slightly raised mesh as it attempted to walk a couple of steps, then sodded off. Result.

Watched this morning as another flying rat landed on the mesh. It stood there for a minute presumably sussing out the mesh and spikes, realised it couldn't perch so also sodded off.

Most satisfying to watch.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, prophet01 said:

Watched this morning as another flying rat landed on the mesh. It stood there for a minute presumably sussing out the mesh and spikes, realised it couldn't perch so also sodded off.

Most satisfying to watch.

Better quality entertainment than Thai TV for certain....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Encid said:

@MJCM you could try something like this for your solar panels :whistling:

Good idea, but what about shade as you know shade and solar panels don't mix

I used the ones you posted in the other thread, but birds just made their nests in between the spikes. IMHO v2 (above) needs more spikes (not an expert because I just throw stones at them :cheesy:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Good idea, but what about shade as you know shade and solar panels don't mix

I used the ones you posted in the other thread, but birds just made their nests in between the spikes. IMHO v2 (above) needs more spikes (not an expert because I just throw stones at them :cheesy:

Did not see but indeed rows should overlap so no space between spikes - costs more but works 100%.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

I used the ones you posted in the other thread, but birds just made their nests in between the spikes. IMHO v2 (above) needs more spikes

As lop said... add more spikes so it's impossible for the birds to land.

A few green plastic snakes here and there would also discourage avian visitors, and the spikes would protect them from larger flying predators.

Plan B

Similar to other animals, pigeons dislike strong spices. These include chili powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Liberally sprinkling these spices on popular perching spots around your home can help to deter these visitors.