Thailand’s national park chief in custody on corruption charges

snoop1130

8 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Readers are invited to estimate the size of the envelope that can hold 5 million ThB in 1k notes. Did it have handles?

Actually believe there was 98k in marked bills in one envelope that reportedly was in hand - the other 400k was a total of what was found in office.

On 12/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, sidjameson said:

Am I being overly optimistic to think this arrest happening and being reported is a sign things are improving?

The whole system is corrupt to the core, but they have to make it look like they are doing something against it. So sometimes they make token arrests, and sometimes even a big fish gets caught. My suspicion is almost always that the guy in question didn’t share enough of his wealth (i.e. bribes) with his equally corrupt colleagues. 

National parks are big business.

I wouldn't be surprised if a single, regional park administration had its own set of tickets printed on the side line beside the offical tickets, which, as it is well known, are then sold to long-nosed whites for 2-10 times of the Thai price, so that this extra income is not included in the official park accounting to appear.

Edited by tomacht8

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

That's what i don't understand. Why would you bribe a Park chief, to get the best picnic spot?

It is known that there are private companies or wealthy families who illegally build their resorts or villas on national park land. When the regional park boss then holds his hand protectively over it, nothing else usually happens.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A few years back a friend of the family was promoted to superintendent of xxxxx National Park (no name for obvious reasons), but it was a very very  very big park with a big mountain, within the first year he increased to revenue by a factor approaching 5, improved the conditions for those living in the park and generated paid work for many of them, the next year he was ceremonially punted off a very minor location well away from anywhere. 

Any guesses why????  

• Thumbs Up 1