What Books are you Reading (2023)

CharlieH

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Very sorry to hear that. Well written books are one of life's incredible delights. 

I have read the occasional book, but the books I read most (despite my post) are books about wine and all about the different grapes, origins, vineyard practices, wine producing countries and so on.......

Then of course I can also try "one of life's incredible delights" by buying a bottle of the wine I have been reading about!????

I will get round to finishing "Sapiens" because it did interest me, but seem to be forever busy.......doing not a lot!

13 hours ago, xylophone said:

I have read the occasional book, but the books I read most (despite my post) are books about wine and all about the different grapes, origins, vineyard practices, wine producing countries and so on.......

Then of course I can also try "one of life's incredible delights" by buying a bottle of the wine I have been reading about!????

I will get round to finishing "Sapiens" because it did interest me, but seem to be forever busy.......doing not a lot!

Have you read Cork dork yet? It is a brilliant book. 

Professional journalist and amateur drinker Bianca Bosker didn’t know much about wine—until she discovered an alternate universe where taste reigns supreme, a world of elite sommeliers who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of flavor. Astounded by their fervor and seemingly superhuman sensory powers, she set out to uncover what drove their obsession, and whether she, too, could become a “cork dork.”

With boundless curiosity, humor, and a healthy dose of skepticism, Bosker takes the reader inside underground tasting groups, exclusive New York City restaurants, California mass-market wine factories, and even a neuroscientist’s fMRI machine as she attempts to answer the most nagging question of all: what’s the big deal about wine? 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2023 at 11:12 AM, spidermike007 said:

Have you read Cork dork yet? It is a brilliant book. 

Professional journalist and amateur drinker Bianca Bosker didn’t know much about wine—until she discovered an alternate universe where taste reigns supreme, a world of elite sommeliers who dedicate their lives to the pursuit of flavor. Astounded by their fervor and seemingly superhuman sensory powers, she set out to uncover what drove their obsession, and whether she, too, could become a “cork dork.”

With boundless curiosity, humor, and a healthy dose of skepticism, Bosker takes the reader inside underground tasting groups, exclusive New York City restaurants, California mass-market wine factories, and even a neuroscientist’s fMRI machine as she attempts to answer the most nagging question of all: what’s the big deal about wine? 

A book is just 1 person's opinion. How amazing can it be?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason, described as 'the best book to come out of Vietnam' piqued my interest for 2 reasons.  One, I like Vietnam and will return for another visit in November.  And secondly, I'm an aviation enthusiast.

Whilst usually interested ONLY in historical novels such as those by Robert Harris, Chickenhawk was fascinating as a real look behind the scenes yet with humour, mild sex, and loads of blood and guts.  By Chapter 3, I felt I had learnt the basics of flying a Huey and enjoyed the whole story immensely.

image.png.114d867d7bfe799bd57f726ec205bb03.png

As a fan of Vince Flynn, Brad Thor, Scott Blade and Stephen Leather, I came across Robert G White and have just finished "Arctic Sunrise" - an extraordinarily believable thriller about the life of a Russian Bratva thug.  Several twists and turns made it an un-put-downable read.

image.png.a55c6723284567a3cb953bb6d4c9af04.png

2 hours ago, bignok said:

A book is just 1 person's opinion. How amazing can it be?

Extraordinarily good. A massive amount of research went into it. Opinions of many experts. Countless events and tastings, that only a true wine freak, like me, could appreciate. 

A normal person cannot be expected to understand or comprehend the amount of time, effort and knowledge that is required to pass even the lowest level of Sommelier accreditation, which is the Certified Sommelier Examination (CSII). It is mind boggling.

Advanced is far fewer, and there are under 400 worldwide, who have earned the highest Master level. Only 14 people in history have passed that exam on the 1st try! 

The author passed the CSII. So, this is light years beyond opinion. You obviously hold literature in very low regard. My heart goes out to you on that count. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Extraordinarily good. A massive amount of research went into it. Opinions of many experts. Countless events and tastings, that only a true wine freak, like me, could appreciate 

What is an expert?

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

What is an expert?

Someone who devotes 10,000 hours to a subject? Someone who passes one of the most difficult exam processes there is. If you have to ask, you are either not into wine, or just a skeptic. 

Have you ever done a blind tasting of very fine wines, and been able to guess the varietal, region, vintage and vintner? That is an expert! 

Edited by spidermike007

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Someone who devotes 10,000 hours to a subject? Someone who passes one of the most difficult exam processes there is. If you have to ask, you are either not into wine, or just a skeptic. 

Have you been to the Barossa, Mclaren Vale and Claire Valley?

If not you're not a wine expert.

Just now, bignok said:

Have you been to the Barossa, Mclaren Vale and Claire Valley?

If not you're not a wine expert.

I never said I was a wine expert. You imply that. I do know alot about wine, and collect it avidly. I love the Clare Valley and even know how to spell it properly. Mclaren too. However, I much prefer Burgundy, and the Rhone Valley. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Have you ever done a blind tasting of very fine wines, and been able to guess the varietal, region, vintage and vintner? That is an expert! 

So how come people fail the pepsi,coke challenge?

Loved them when I was a kid, so I reread the Hornblower series and was amazed at how much I enjoyed them.

Actually, I can't really read anymore, so I got the audio versions. 

I used to love Richard's Wild Irish Rose, that was some good wine!

"THE PILLOW BOOKS"

image.png.c41a0b39668c467631bc31d377744ad0.png

image.png.47d666c03246391852d36db97b6139ec.png

It's FREE to READ on GUTENBERG.org here: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/47151/47151-h/47151-h.htm

image.png.f8b49f832241c911455f7f60469cf81b.png

image.png.f349fe00e105848408c9993d21519fa5.png

The Japanese believe their culture does not originate in China.

Are they correct?

The also believe that Strawberries are Japanese food, originating in Japan.

Such an insular people.

This is why I love the Japanese.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, topt said:

I think I have only read his John Rain books. Anything else you can recommend by him?

Scot Harvath is Brad Thor's books main character.

Not sure if I have read any of Tom Wood so will check that out thanks.

Nelson DeMille books featuring John Corey

Tom Cain - character Sam Carver

Did you ever read the books by John Trevanian? Eiger Sanction was turned into a film with Clint Eatwood from memory, there was another with the same character and also a book called Shibumi.

Eric V Lustbader - Nicholas Linnear character (and others) - he also took over writing the Bourne books.

Eisler's best work is the John Rain series. Truly one of the most memorable characters in the genre, ever. Most are very forgettable for me. Tried Havrath. Decent action, if a bit much at times. Just not alot of character, depth, or ability to create ambiance, or flesh out a setting. That is part of what sets Eisler apart, and makes him the top writer in the espionage, assassin, special ops game.

Tom Wood is decent. His character Victor is entertaining. Again, he cannot create a time and place like Eisler, nor background, nor history. But, he is talented and those Victor books are worthy.

Will check out DeMille. And Cain. Carver sounds like an interesting character. Thanks.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:45 AM, Neeranam said:

The Imitation of Christ

Actually, I've been reading this every night and now on the 3rd reading, absolutely life-changing

Prob the deepest mystic Christian book. I also loved Cloud of Unknowing. While listening to Hildegarde of Bingen.

Anyway:

• 5 weeks later...

New docu out about this very funny writer who invented New Journalism (see also: Hunter S Thompson.

A clip is imbedded in this very good Tom Wolfe short read:

https://www.vulture.com/2023/09/tom-wolfe-new-york-magazine-documentary-radical-wolfe.html

Any fans of creative non-fiction? I guess Michael Lewis is the only must-read non-fiction writer who I would buy the day the book comes out,

Who are your favorite non-fiction, or semi-fiction writers?

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not sure he would even qualify as semi-fiction. Carl Hiassen is one of the funniest commentators on Florida development I have read.

John D MacDonald wrote some very good fiction on some social aspects of America, "One More Sunday", "Condominium" and "Barrier Island" are examples.

Carl Hiassen is def a good example of semi-fiction, in that he takes real life Florida issues and makes a story out of them. John Grisham, Richard Price's crime novels also fit in with Tom Wolfe's concept of a social novel.

A true story told like a novel is def my fave thing.

Empire of Pain, by the guy who also wrote Snakehead (about Chinese people-smuggling). Or a gripping history book, like The Axial Age. There's a new trend where someone writes something like the history of salt to make a broader point, but so far, I haven't hit a great one.

There was a fellow named Ed Sanders, of beatnik/hippie bent, poet, writer, songwriter etc.  Shortly after the Charlie Manson stuff was in the headlines, he put out a book about it. Nicely done, I thought it should have been more popular.  A few years later the DA on the case wrote a book about it and that one made the best-seller list.

https://www.amazon.com/Audible-The-Family/dp/B09QT8TQ9T/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2NV2XKG2KX1H1

I haven't read it since back when.  I know nothing about this audio thing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

The rare witty hippie

I had a friend who used to say "Richard Brautigan (Trout Fishing in America) is proof the hippies made no contribution to literature."  (I strongly suspect he picked that line up from someone else, he did that all the time.)

But we'll always have Zap Comics.

Sanders really more beatnik than otherwise, too New York to be a real hippie.  I can relate.

• Sad 1