What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

Great series that I really enjoy:-

Lost Car Rescue

Enjoyable Retro Ride Rescues
Many of us car enthusiasts have seen the standard barn finds, junk yard car sleuths, and "will it start" shows. I wondered if this was another of the same ilk. If so it would need something different. Well,, this is quite a bit different. The five principal car hunters are very likable and their methods and actual car finds are fresh and different. In the wild north there are abandoned cars and trucks that are rare with even more rare backstories. It all adds up for good entertainment. Nevermind it seems they often over pay for what looks "rough as a cobb", these forgotten rides get treated like finds from King Tut's tomb! I've never seen a combo like this: spotter plane, PowerWagon wrecker, and semi with a crane lift. The is a show unlike any others I've seen to date. I thought it had all been done and filmed, but I stand corrected.

2093347405_CarRescue!.jpg.f475031853d2172ae01a8a604e4e06fd.jpg

Series 1 and eps  1-4 of series 2 available from TVChaos. Various odd episodes can be found on other sites.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Victor Godeanu, Ceausescu's right-hand man, has a secret. He is also a KGB agent and must escape before he is discovered, so he will seize a valuable diplomatic opportunity.

I watched this a few weeks ago. Quite good IMHO.

• Like 2

This is very sad but well made.

The Child Snatcher Manhunt

Two episodes.

Lime

In 1990, after van driver Robert Black is caught abducting a young girl, detectives believe they have their strongest suspect to date. But can they prove that Black is responsible?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2023 at 1:12 PM, KhunLA said:

@BritManToo

Agree ... Tulsa King is excellent.   Watched all available last night.

Highly recommend.  Oh yea, for others ...  the trailer sucks, as had no desire to watch after viewing the trailer, and nothing what I expected, thankfully.

Without B2's recommendation, I would have given it a pass, and a missed opportunity.

Tulsa King was good. Stallone is such a unique and singular guy. Hard not to like him. I am so sick of the Taylor Sheridan dramas. Always far too much tragedy and melodrama. Enough of it. Yellowstone was great, up to a point. The last season was ridiculous. 1923 was so over the top. Endless tragedy. Finished Mayor of Kingstown. 1st season was great. 2nd was beyond the pale. Wind RIver was a masterpiece. I watch it annually, it is that good. I think I may have overdosed on the tragedy king, Mr. Sheridan. I am done with him.

• Like 1

Youth, with Michael Caine, Harvey Kietel and Paul Dano. It is a masterpiece. Brilliant writing, direction, acting, and soundtrack. Watched it several times. Directed by the Italian genius, Paolo Sorrentino. The Great Beauty is another of his great films. A bit on the surreal side. Pure genius.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Wind RIver was a masterpiece. I watch it annually, it is that good. I think I may have overdosed on the tragedy king, Mr. Sheridan. I am done with him.

+1 ????

• Like 2

Shantaram. Based on the internationally bestselling novel by Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram follows a fugitive named Lin Ford (Charlie Hunnam) looking to get lost in vibrant and chaotic 1980s Bombay. Alone in an unfamiliar city, Lin struggles to avoid the trouble he’s running from in this new place. After falling for an enigmatic and intriguing woman named Karla, Lin must choose between freedom or love and the complications that come with it. The story takes place largely within the slums of Bombay. I have been there. Bombay is an extraordinarly city, and those slums are some of the world's largest. Great story, based on a fabulous novel.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Tulsa King was good. Stallone is such a unique and singular guy. Hard not to like him. I am so sick of the Taylor Sheridan dramas. Always far too much tragedy and melodrama. Enough of it. Yellowstone was great, up to a point. The last season was ridiculous. 1923 was so over the top. Endless tragedy. Finished Mayor of Kingstown. 1st season was great. 2nd was beyond the pale. Wind RIver was a masterpiece. I watch it annually, it is that good. I think I may have overdosed on the tragedy king, Mr. Sheridan. I am done with him.

Having said all that, 1883 was incredible. But it was dense, very intense, very tragic, and took me about 6 weeks to get through, as I had to take a few breaks from the gravity of it all! Sheridan sure knows how to pour it on, and manipulate the viewer.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 2:25 AM, mstevens said:

Couldn't disagree more. I thought it promised so much but in the end never reached the heights it promised. The last episode was very weak. For me, it was a 5/10 series and no more.

It does look tedious. Is it possible Elba needs a new agent? Such talent, and so many poor choices. Extraction II, Luther: The fallen sun, Beast, Thor, Three thousand years of longing. Huh? Are those his choices? Is it about the money?

Just now, spidermike007 said:

It does look tedious. Is it possible Elba needs a new agent? Such talent, and so many poor choices. Extraction II, Luther: The fallen sun, Beast, Thor, Three thousand years of longing. Huh? Are those his choices? Is it about the money?

It's pretty much always about the money.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2023 at 11:39 AM, BritManToo said:

I only watched it 'cos my cousin reportedly banged Claudia Cardinale, then allegedly hurt his ankles jumping out of her bedroom window when her bf returned unexpectedly at that time. The best bit about the movie was her sweating a lot.

How the west was won, The Searchers, Wild Bunch, Unforgiven, Outlaw Josey Wales, the Hunting party, Ballard of Cable Hogue and many others all far better.

Agree. In terms of more recent Westerns, Unforgiven, Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Buster Scruggs, 3:10 to Yuma, The Salvation, Appaloosa, Django Unchained, True Grit, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, and Open Range were all amazing.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome reviews for Oppenheimer so I must have been watching something else.

Watched in three sessions and finally gave up over two hours in. Maybe just me!

Enjoying "Lioness", although episode 3 was  a little shaky.

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Agree. In terms of more recent Westerns, Unforgiven, Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Buster Scruggs, 3:10 to Yuma, The Salvation, Appaloosa, Django Unchained, True Grit, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, and Open Range were all amazing.

I just watched Django Unchained last night and thought it was very good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

recently watched both seasons of Perry Mason the remake.

solid series, set at the beginning of the thirties in LA.

the stories are creative, characters developed.

enjoyable to watch, although the second season develops a bit too much the lesbian romance that brings nothing to the main plot, which also seemed simpler than the first one.

now that I think about it again, I'd say both plots could do with a bit more intrigue.

solid 4 stars though.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, tgw said:

recently watched both seasons of Perry Mason the remake.

solid series, set at the beginning of the thirties in LA.

the stories are creative, characters developed.

enjoyable to watch, although the second season develops a bit too much the lesbian romance that brings nothing to the main plot, which also seemed simpler than the first one.

now that I think about it again, I'd say both plots could do with a bit more intrigue.

solid 4 stars though.

I enjoyed both seasons of the (new) Perry Mason as well.

• Like 1