What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

10 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Definitely one of Nicolas Cage's better recent films

The Retirement Plan

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14827638/

Found on 1337x

But I found it strangely really familiar, like I had seen it before, don't think it's a remake

Renfield and the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent are a couple of recent Cage movies that were OK. Dream Scenario also gets good reviews but not sure if that's available to stream/download yet. He's really churning them out, he released six movies this year.

Edited by giddyup
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Seppius said:

Definitely one of Nicolas Cage's better recent films

The Retirement Plan

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14827638/

Found on 1337x

But I found it strangely really familiar, like I had seen it before, don't think it's a remake

I like Nick but that is not saying much....I'll give it a watch. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 10:45 AM, xylophone said:

I watched about half of this movie and then switched it off, because I couldn't put up with seeing a very old and decrepit Glenda Jackson, not to mention the same with Michael Caine, on the screen, especially as I remember them as they used to be.

Might seem a little silly, but I am not a fan of seeing decrepit oldies limp around the screen, and in addition the scenes on the battleship from World War II were very amateurish IMO.

This might interest you @xylophone :

On YouTube channel Cinemium  there’s quite a few ( around 50 ) old Western movies, Clint and John Wayne etc, they have been added this week, strangely they are not labeled by their title but as you can see from the photo go by “ great action western movie “ or similar.

Take a look, am sure there will be something to your liking.

IMG_7876.thumb.png.fcc51e5f65db69335927b26e82c1f0fc.png

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Renfield and the Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent are a couple of recent Cage movies that were OK. Dream Scenario also gets good reviews but not sure if that's available to stream/download yet. He's really churning them out, he released six movies this year.

Thanks for the tips, first one looks good

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I heard he was an executive producer, no? 

Yes, but if you look for a list of Tarantino movies Hostel won't be on it because he didn't write the screenplay or direct it, so ergo it's not a Tarantino movie.

Edited by giddyup

This has some real quirky Aussies in it.

I really enjoyed it.

Nestled deep in the Australian Outback is the town of Larrimah and its 11 eccentric residents. When one of them mysteriously disappears into thin air, the remaining residents become suspects and a long history of infighting is unveiled.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

As one of the three executive producers.

The executive producer is the person who sources and secures the financing for a film production,

either through an independent financing company, through a studio, or by financing it themselves.

The executive producer's biggest priority is to make sure they have money to complete the project

They have little to do with the content of the movie.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

A Cam version is online

https://ww1.m4uhd.tv/watch-movie-dream-scenario-2023-280928.html

29 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

The executive producer is the person who sources and secures the financing for a film production,

either through an independent financing company, through a studio, or by financing it themselves.

The executive producer's biggest priority is to make sure they have money to complete the project

Does a wee bit more than just get financing.  Surely some EP get more involved than others.

42 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Do you think they fund movies without reviewing and approving the content? 

I am sure they look at the script---- they have to go out and sell it, and I'm sure your right, maybe some are more hands on then others, but its mainly about Finance --but then again, I am only quoting Wiki & Google , mainly because I just thought they knew more about this then me.    (The underlines are from Wiki.)

Executive producer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Executive producer (EP) is one of the top positions in the making of a commercial entertainment product. Depending on the medium, the executive producer may be concerned with management accounting or associated with legal issues (like copyrights or royalties).[citation needed] In films, the executive producer generally contributes to the film's budget and their involvement depends on the project, with some simply securing funds and others being involved in the filmmaking process.[1][2]

42 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Watched the first part of Criminal Code last night, still too early to tell but it has lots of realistic car chases and gun fights, its in Spanish with subs, it's on TPB

Thanks for the recommendation @Rimmer. Can only see individual episodes on TPB, but Criminal Code Season 1 complete appears to be on Torlock. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

I was sans computer for a couple of months then haven't posted for a while but have been lurking and picking up some good recommendations, so thanks.

A few things I've recently watched are.....

The War on Disco, a documentary about stuff that went on in the US but was comletely new to me.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/war-disco-teaser/

The Last Detective, a show that ran from 2003 to 2007 and somehow passed me by at the time, I'm quite enjoying it.

"The series follows Detective Constable "Dangerous" Davies. Davies discovered a crime committed by a fellow officer at the opening of the series, and is treated as a pariah by his colleagues as a consequence. Moreover, he is committed to his work and is staunchly humane, leading to a view of his being soft by colleagues, and a degree of grudging respect from local criminals. The show's title reflects the initial attitude of his superiors, who describe him as "the last detective" who would be considered to head up a major case. Recurring themes include Davies solving the apparently minor crimes he is given, often resolving more complex and associated crimes (historical or contemporary), and Davies repeatedly being the target of practical jokes by younger but more well positioned detectives in his unit.his colleagues as a consequence. Moreover, he is committed to his work and is staunchly humane, leading to a view of his being soft by colleagues, and a degree of grudging respect from local criminals. The show's title reflects the initial attitude of his superiors, who describe him as "the last detective" who would be considered to head up a major case. Recurring themes include Davies solving the apparently minor crimes he is given, often resolving more complex and associated crimes (historical or contemporary), and Davies repeatedly being the target of practical jokes by younger but more well positioned detectives in his unit."

Season 4 of The Met: Policing London is out now, I've just finished season one and was left fuming at one case where a woman killed her four month olld baby through neglect of a most horrific nature yet escaped scot free, what a disgusting abuse of justice and whatever has gone wrong when such a heinous act can go unpunished. One man got 27 months for cruelty to a kitten, he's just one of over a hundred people per year imprisoned for animal cruelty but it seems that's viewed as being worse than cruelty to children. Rant over.

Edited by Blue Muton
typo
  • Thanks 1