What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2023)

CharlieH

The Torso Killer Confessions

The Torso Killer Confessions” delves into the decades long journey of Detective Robert Anzilotti as he works to bring justice to cold case victims linked to serial killer Richard Cottingham.

The special goes behind the scenes, exploring the relationship between the two men, and how that relationship culminated in Cottingham’s recent headline-making confessions.

3 hours ago, Seppius said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808491/

Just watched this short series, it's a little woke in places, but I really enjoyed it

The Swarm

So its attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)? 

Sounded so interesting just based on its "wokeness" but the User Reviews mostly 1/10 and 2/10 canned it for me.  Different strokes etc.

But thanks for your review not solely based on its socio-political values.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gargamon said:

Cocaine Bear has dropped.

Hint: If you're looking for a boring crime docudrama, this isn't it. 

Smoke a doobie before you watch it.  I should have.   

It's terrible, it's funny (that I expected/hoped for), it's stupid, it's funny again, but in the end, it's terrible, but I was entertained, and actually laughed out loud, without the doobie, but yea, it's terrible.

Actually expected it to be a comedy all the way through, via a trailer, but not sure if they tried to make it dramatic, and simply failed, or that part of the comedy when over my head.  I expected a mediocre comedy, but got a terrible everything, with some good chuckles.

Smoke the doobie, don't expect much   Seriously, it's titled 'cocaine bear', what do you expect.  And who doesn't like a happy ending to a family movie.

• Like 1

I finally got round to watching, "The Fabelmans" and thought it was a very average movie, so was quite surprised when it was nominated as a potential Oscar winner!

The next night I watched, "Luther – The fallen Sun", and it was okay and a bit far-fetched for something that was portrayed as being in the current era, but then again as I got closer towards the end of the movie and realised what was going on, I began to think about all of the nut jobs, perverts, killers and masochists that have made the news over the past decade or two, including a few recent posts on AN, especially in regard to the Capitol Hill insurrection!

Lastly, something which actually hit home because I was in Auckland, New Zealand, when this actually happened, and the documentary is called, "Murder in the Pacific" and although it does stretch out a little, it really does show the good work done by the Auckland police in catching the perpetrators (actual footage is shown throughout).

When it was first rumoured that the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior could have been carried out by a foreign government, the NZ newspapers and indeed government bigwigs dismissed it out of hand, saying that in this (that) day and age such a thing would be unthinkable........ but how wrong they were.

The most disappointing aspect of it all was how the foreign government and the actual perpetrators really got off lightly, mainly because little old NZ was held to ransom by the French government with regards to trade threats, so us New Zealanders realised that we were powerless to do anything about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I finally got round to watching, "The Fabelmans" and thought it was a very average movie, so was quite surprised when it was nominated as a potential Oscar winner!

I have not watched The Fabelmans yet but of the Oscar nominated movies for picture of the year is there a movie you feel is above average?

I would put Top Gun Maverick as the best of the few I have seen but still don't think it was much above average.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I have not watched The Fabelmans yet but of the Oscar nominated movies for picture of the year is there a movie you feel is above average?

I would put Top Gun Maverick as the best of the few I have seen but still don't think it was much above average.

You raise a very good point, because I was thinking exactly the same as you when I saw the list of nominees, however I have to admit to not seeing many of them at all as nothing that I've read about them encouraged me to do so.

I did see the "Banshees" movie and could not see the point of a movie based around pure Irish stupidity, which was meant to mirror the 1921 Irish Civil War. Also I did start to watch "The Whale" but couldn't get past the first 10 minutes mainly because it assaulted my sensibilities.

I haven't seen "Top Gun Maverick" as I'm not really a fan of Tom Cruise (perhaps in small doses), so in summary there is nothing that I'm really keen on seeing, so trawling back through some of my old movies keeps me busy most evenings, apart from the things I find on BBC iPlayer – – and on that note I do enjoy some of their history and nature programmes as well as the occasional doco.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

Of all the ones nominated, only saw 2, Top Gun & Avatar, and 5/10 at best for both, unimpressed.   Tried watching the big winner ... lost interest.   Didn't even peek at the others, as no interest at all.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Currently watching Our Boys, an Israeli HBO drama about events following a kidnap and murder - currently on e04, interesting, a change from the norm.

There is a trailer for succession - which has prompted me to start on the first season. 

Yeah Our Boys is very good and if anyone is worried that it is pro Israeli propaganda, it is anything but that.

11 hours ago, recom273 said:

Currently watching Our Boys, an Israeli HBO drama about events following a kidnap and murder - currently on e04, interesting, a change from the norm.

There is a trailer for succession - which has prompted me to start on the first season. 

Succession has 8.8/10 rating. 

I might start watching it too, thanks!

I hope its not another Dallas ????

Any reviews on it from this audience?

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 2

As is my wont, I found a movie that looked interesting on the BBC iPlayer (again), so decided to watch it and was very pleased that I did.

The movie is called, "Mr Jones" and is based on a true story about a reporter heading into Russia at the time of the famine, to try and seek out the truth about it – – was there a famine, or wasn't there??

I thought it was very good indeed and was so pleased that I found it, and I saw this on Wikipedia, in relation to that movie: – The 2019 feature film Mr Jones, starring James Norton and directed by Agnieszka Holland, focuses on Jones and his investigation of and reporting on the Ukrainian famine in the face of political and journalistic opposition. In January 2019, it was selected to compete for the Golden Bear at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival. The film won Grand Prix Golden Lions at the 44th Gdynia Film Festival in September 2019.

23 hours ago, petermik said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt23061236/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Donkerbos.

Finding this series from South Africa excellent spud17 on the Pirates with HC English subs.

Watched it all the way a couple of weeks back, very gritty and dark, similar to Nordic Noir genre crime movies, I felt a lot of the scenes were held by the camera for too long, for effect I suppose.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, xylophone said:

As is my wont, I found a movie that looked interesting on the BBC iPlayer (again), so decided to watch it and was very pleased that I did.

The movie is called, "Mr Jones" and is based on a true story about a reporter heading into Russia at the time of the famine, to try and seek out the truth about it – – was there a famine, or wasn't there??

I thought it was very good indeed and was so pleased that I found it, and I saw this on Wikipedia, in relation to that movie: – The 2019 feature film Mr Jones, starring James Norton and directed by Agnieszka Holland, focuses on Jones and his investigation of and reporting on the Ukrainian famine in the face of political and journalistic opposition. In January 2019, it was selected to compete for the Golden Bear at the 69th Berlin International Film Festival. The film won Grand Prix Golden Lions at the 44th Gdynia Film Festival in September 2019.

This 2019 movie about the Holodomor was extremely poignant and is very relevant now with Russia's current second attempt at genocide in Ukraine.

It also provided some historical context about the West's duplicity and appeasement to not only Hitler but Stalin.

Thanks for the recommendation. The movie is also available at the usual places.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1